Aria

Default Gas vs. Electric

I'm moving into a house that has an electric stove. The kind with the flat
top. I am a gourmet cook and do alot of wok cooking. I have always used gas.
Any suggestions as to what I can buy other than an electric wok to do the
same kind of cooking that I'm used to? Thanks...

Edwin Pawlowski

"Aria" > wrote in message
> I'm moving into a house that has an electric stove. The kind with the flat
> top. I am a gourmet cook and do alot of wok cooking. I have always used
> gas. Any suggestions as to what I can buy other than an electric wok to do
> the same kind of cooking that I'm used to? Thanks...

Gas range run on propane if natural gas is not available. You won't be
happy with an electric wok.

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Aria" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm moving into a house that has an electric stove. The kind with the flat
>>top. I am a gourmet cook and do alot of wok cooking. I have always used
>>gas. Any suggestions as to what I can buy other than an electric wok to do
>>the same kind of cooking that I'm used to? Thanks...

> Gas range run on propane if natural gas is not available. You won't be
> happy with an electric wok.

I'm very happy with the GE flattop that I have. Even though I grew up
and spent years with gas I tore it out of this house. I put in a brand
new GE gasser and it was a nightmare to clean. Under the burners was a
disaster even after just boiling a pot of water for pasta. Hated it.
So out it came and in went the GE flatop. I like it much better. It
heats very quickly and the only real adjustment is when you want the
heat removed instantly, move the pan. Really no big deal. Clean up is
a breeze.

As for the wok question, they make woks with a small portion of the
bottom being flat specifically for this purpose and they work very
well. Here's just one example that I found quick.
http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1825482

Assuming that it's a quality flattop, give it a chance. They're often
given a "bum rap" for absolutely no reason. Gourmet meals can be done
on them very easily.

--
Steve

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?
Peter Aitken

"Aria" > wrote in message
> I'm moving into a house that has an electric stove. The kind with the flat
> top. I am a gourmet cook and do alot of wok cooking. I have always used

gas.
> Any suggestions as to what I can buy other than an electric wok to do the
> same kind of cooking that I'm used to? Thanks...

Forget electric woks - not enought power. A flat bottom wok on an electric
stove can give decent results by sliding it on and off the burner for heat
control. Not as good as gas for a wok, but workable. I got a propane wok
ring that is installed next to my flattop range, perhaps that's an option
for you?

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Aria" > wrote in message
> I'm moving into a house that has an electric stove. The kind with the flat
> top. I am a gourmet cook and do alot of wok cooking. I have always used

gas.
> Any suggestions as to what I can buy other than an electric wok to do the
> same kind of cooking that I'm used to? Thanks...

Forget electric woks - not enought power. A flat bottom wok on an electric
stove can give decent results by sliding it on and off the burner for heat
control. Not as good as gas for a wok, but workable. I got a propane wok
ring that is installed next to my flattop range, perhaps that's an option
for you?

--
Peter Aitken

Aria

Peter, thanks for the input. What is a propane wok ring? I've seen metal
rings that are put under a wok for control. However I don't believe that's
what you're speaking of.
Could you give me a better idea? Thanks.

Peter Aitken

"Aria" > wrote in message
> Peter, thanks for the input. What is a propane wok ring? I've seen metal
> rings that are put under a wok for control. However I don't believe that's
> what you're speaking of.
> Could you give me a better idea? Thanks.

I guess "wok hob" would be a better description. It is a separate, single,
high-power burner that is mounted in the countertop next to the electric
range. It's designed specifically for wok cooking and has only two
settings - high and higher! Ours is a Gaggenau, Viking also makes them. A
nice item to have if you do a lot of CHinese cooking as I do.

--
Peter Aitken

doug ventura

No "wok hay" for you. Read the Dec 2004 issue of Gourmet. Page 106 "Wok
with Me."

Doug from Massachusetts

Aria > wrote:
> I'm moving into a house that has an electric stove. The kind with the flat
> top. I am a gourmet cook and do alot of wok cooking. I have always used gas.
> Any suggestions as to what I can buy other than an electric wok to do the
> same kind of cooking that I'm used to? Thanks...

Get a flat bottom steel wok. I moved into a house 10 years ago
with a glass flat top electric stove top. I would prefer gas,
but until I do a kitchen remodel this smooth top is better
than I ever expected. If I need *serious* heat, I have an
outdoor grill with a side-burner that could smelt ore, but
I can do a decent stir-fry with the smooth top inside.

Also, don't worry about all the scare mongers who say not
to use cast iron, or this or that kind of cookware, or
don't spill sugary stuff, or whatever. My wife started
a candy making business in our home kitchen. We've
had pressure canners, big pots, little pots, cast iron,
stainless, etc. We've had toffee spilled on it and
set up overnight, and it has held up better than I could have
hoped. In fact, when we set up a kitchen for my wife's
business in a new location, we installed two smooth top
electric cook tops because of how well the one in our
home kitchen has worked.

Give it a chance and let yourself get used to how it works
and I think you will be surprised at how well it does.
I would still prefer a good gas cook top, but I'd place
the glass smooth tops as next best.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Aria

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate them. Aria

> wrote in message ...
> Aria > wrote:
>> I'm moving into a house that has an electric stove. The kind with the
>> flat
>> top. I am a gourmet cook and do alot of wok cooking. I have always used
>> gas.
>> Any suggestions as to what I can buy other than an electric wok to do the
>> same kind of cooking that I'm used to? Thanks...

> Get a flat bottom steel wok. I moved into a house 10 years ago
> with a glass flat top electric stove top. I would prefer gas,
> but until I do a kitchen remodel this smooth top is better
> than I ever expected. If I need *serious* heat, I have an
> outdoor grill with a side-burner that could smelt ore, but
> I can do a decent stir-fry with the smooth top inside.
>
> Also, don't worry about all the scare mongers who say not
> to use cast iron, or this or that kind of cookware, or
> don't spill sugary stuff, or whatever. My wife started
> a candy making business in our home kitchen. We've
> had pressure canners, big pots, little pots, cast iron,
> stainless, etc. We've had toffee spilled on it and
> set up overnight, and it has held up better than I could have
> hoped. In fact, when we set up a kitchen for my wife's
> business in a new location, we installed two smooth top
> electric cook tops because of how well the one in our
> home kitchen has worked.
>
> Give it a chance and let yourself get used to how it works
> and I think you will be surprised at how well it does.
> I would still prefer a good gas cook top, but I'd place
> the glass smooth tops as next best.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Aria

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate them. Aria

> wrote in message ...
> Aria > wrote:
>> I'm moving into a house that has an electric stove. The kind with the
>> flat
>> top. I am a gourmet cook and do alot of wok cooking. I have always used
>> gas.
>> Any suggestions as to what I can buy other than an electric wok to do the
>> same kind of cooking that I'm used to? Thanks...

> Get a flat bottom steel wok. I moved into a house 10 years ago
> with a glass flat top electric stove top. I would prefer gas,
> but until I do a kitchen remodel this smooth top is better
> than I ever expected. If I need *serious* heat, I have an
> outdoor grill with a side-burner that could smelt ore, but
> I can do a decent stir-fry with the smooth top inside.
>
> Also, don't worry about all the scare mongers who say not
> to use cast iron, or this or that kind of cookware, or
> don't spill sugary stuff, or whatever. My wife started
> a candy making business in our home kitchen. We've
> had pressure canners, big pots, little pots, cast iron,
> stainless, etc. We've had toffee spilled on it and
> set up overnight, and it has held up better than I could have
> hoped. In fact, when we set up a kitchen for my wife's
> business in a new location, we installed two smooth top
> electric cook tops because of how well the one in our
> home kitchen has worked.
>
> Give it a chance and let yourself get used to how it works
> and I think you will be surprised at how well it does.
> I would still prefer a good gas cook top, but I'd place
> the glass smooth tops as next best.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

zuuum

This is pretty much standard fare for a full-time wok cook, as you would
find in Asian restaurants....
http://www.prezzybox.com/products/in...d=2905&TID=900

or, for the commercial kitchen, 100,000 BTU burners. Now we're wokin'!!!...

http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-product/dc_18twr