bumblebeequeen

Default Kenwood Chef Spice Mill attachment problem

About 6 months ago I bought the Spice Mill attachment for my Kenwood
Chef. I use it almost exclusively for grinding coffee (which is one of
the functions it is recommended for). I decided against buying a
seperate coffee grinder as that would have meant yet another whole new
machine (rather than just an attachment for an existing machine).
Well, it grinds coffee beans very well, I've got no problem with that.
And the couple of times I've needed to grind spices in it, it's also
done the job very well.
The problems start when I try to clean the bloody thing.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the attchment
consists of a base where the blades are, which is attached to the top
of the Kenwood Chef. Onto this base you put a small glass jar which
you fill with whatever it is you're grinding. The Spice Mill came with
a set of 3 more jars with lids, for storage. I at first thought that
you could attach all the jars to the base, but no, only one is set up
to fit onto the blades, and you then transfer the ground contents to
one of the storage jars. This in itself is a bit annoying, but ok, I
can live with it.
The real problem is cleaning the jar attachment (the one that fixes
onto the base). It's made so there's a sort of rubber ring inside the
top which helps fit it onto the base, and there's a minute space
between this ring and the jar and it ALWAYS gets filled with whatever
I'm grinding.
I spend around 10 minutes trying to get ground coffee out of this
space using a variety of brushes, but then never gets rid of
everything, so I've had to resort of the blade of a knife a couple of
times. This of course is making the problem even worse, as each time I
clean it the space just gets bigger.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or can anyone suggest what I can
do about it? Could it be a faulty product?

Would be grateful for any input! Thanks!
Viviane

I use mine to grind all kinds of spices and to make breadcrumbs from dried
bread. I've never had a problem cleaning them - the rubber thing comes out
easily and I wash that by hand and the blade, lid and glass jars go in the
dish washer - the dishwasher temp is too hot for the rubber thingy. See if
you can get the rubber thing off - it should lift up easily. If not, I
suggest you contact Kenwood.

"bumblebeequeen" > wrote in message
m...
> About 6 months ago I bought the Spice Mill attachment for my Kenwood
> Chef. I use it almost exclusively for grinding coffee (which is one of
> the functions it is recommended for). I decided against buying a
> seperate coffee grinder as that would have meant yet another whole new
> machine (rather than just an attachment for an existing machine).
> Well, it grinds coffee beans very well, I've got no problem with that.
> And the couple of times I've needed to grind spices in it, it's also
> done the job very well.
> The problems start when I try to clean the bloody thing.
>
> For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the attchment
> consists of a base where the blades are, which is attached to the top
> of the Kenwood Chef. Onto this base you put a small glass jar which
> you fill with whatever it is you're grinding. The Spice Mill came with
> a set of 3 more jars with lids, for storage. I at first thought that
> you could attach all the jars to the base, but no, only one is set up
> to fit onto the blades, and you then transfer the ground contents to
> one of the storage jars. This in itself is a bit annoying, but ok, I
> can live with it.
> The real problem is cleaning the jar attachment (the one that fixes
> onto the base). It's made so there's a sort of rubber ring inside the
> top which helps fit it onto the base, and there's a minute space
> between this ring and the jar and it ALWAYS gets filled with whatever
> I'm grinding.
> I spend around 10 minutes trying to get ground coffee out of this
> space using a variety of brushes, but then never gets rid of
> everything, so I've had to resort of the blade of a knife a couple of
> times. This of course is making the problem even worse, as each time I
> clean it the space just gets bigger.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem? Or can anyone suggest what I can
> do about it? Could it be a faulty product?
>
> Would be grateful for any input! Thanks!

Viviane