Member

Default smith brothers cutlery

looking to purchase some new knives soon, budget of $300 max. I've been looking at the Smith Brothers Carbon 6 line, probably the 6 piece set. Any have any experience with these knives? If not these, what others would you suggest. Obviously can't afford some $600 Wustoff but I want something real nice. Thanks
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 12/2/14, 6:05 PM, freeport wrote:
> looking to purchase some new knives soon, budget of $300 max. I've been
> looking at the Smith Brothers Carbon 6 line, probably the 6 piece set.
> Any have any experience with these knives? If not these, what others
> would you suggest. Obviously can't afford some $600 Wustoff but I want
> something real nice. Thanks

Functionally, sets are seldom -- if ever -- the way to go.

Functionally, everything you need to do can be satisfied by purchasing
individual Forschner stamped steel knives.

But you want "something real nice", so more information is needed.

Most people would say that every cook needs a chef's knife, a paring
knife, and a steel. Beyond that, it's common to recommend:

- a boning knife
- a slicer, possibly with kullens (hollow-ground)
- a utility knife, possibly serrated
- a cleaver

and others.

Which of these knives do you need or want?

-- Larry