Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default If not All-Clad, then what?

We really don't want to spend $250 on All-Clad's 6qt stainless saute pan
unless we have to.

As I understand things, the feature that makes All-Clad's saute pans
work is that the aluminum core extends up the sides, rather than just
covering the bottom as in their cheaper competitors.

The description of Cuisinart's "MultiClad Pro" line suggests that they
extend their core up the sides as well, but only want $80 for their
5.5qt saute pan.

I'm sure that the All-Clad pans are built better, and probably of
heavier materials, but we're just cooking at home for the two of us and
could probably get away with a lighter-weight product, so long as it's
not complete crap.

Is the Cusinart "MultiClad Pro" product worth considering? Any other
makers to look at (btw, my wife has an aversion to glass lids)?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 30 Jan 2010 20:20:08 GMT, Bert Hyman > wrote:

>We really don't want to spend $250 on All-Clad's 6qt stainless saute pan
>unless we have to.
>
>As I understand things, the feature that makes All-Clad's saute pans
>work is that the aluminum core extends up the sides, rather than just
>covering the bottom as in their cheaper competitors.
>
>The description of Cuisinart's "MultiClad Pro" line suggests that they
>extend their core up the sides as well, but only want $80 for their
>5.5qt saute pan.
>
>I'm sure that the All-Clad pans are built better, and probably of
>heavier materials, but we're just cooking at home for the two of us and
>could probably get away with a lighter-weight product, so long as it's
>not complete crap.
>
>Is the Cusinart "MultiClad Pro" product worth considering? Any other
>makers to look at (btw, my wife has an aversion to glass lids)?

Is their a Williams Sonoma outlet near you? They have many high
quality brands at 30% off, including All Clad. The Cuisinart is nice
stuff too, so keep it on your list. Take a look at the Emerilware
too.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 30 Jan 2010 20:20:08 GMT, Bert Hyman > wrote:

>We really don't want to spend $250 on All-Clad's 6qt stainless saute pan
>unless we have to.

Understandable.

>As I understand things, the feature that makes All-Clad's saute pans
>work is that the aluminum core extends up the sides, rather than just
>covering the bottom as in their cheaper competitors.

There is no value to having cladding up the sides of a saute pan. A
saute pan's heat comes exclusively from the bottom. Now a frying pan,
with curved sides, benefits from being fully clad.

>The description of Cuisinart's "MultiClad Pro" line suggests that they
>extend their core up the sides as well, but only want $80 for their
>5.5qt saute pan.
>Is the Cusinart "MultiClad Pro" product worth considering? Any other
>makers to look at (btw, my wife has an aversion to glass lids)?

I would say yes. Top-end Cuisinart stainless is good stuff.

Another brand to look for is Tramontina's Professional line, made in
Brasil. It costs a fraction of the price of All-Clad. It has a very
thick clad bottom, more than twice as thick as All-Clad. ( They also
make a line of All-Clad knockoffs thatare sold by Target and WalMart.
These do well in comparison discussions on Chowhound.)

I had two All-Clad saute pans and two Tramontinas, both in 13 qt. and
5/6 qt. I gave away the All-Clads and kept the two Tramontinas . They
are simply superior in every way -- conductivity, surface quality and
ease of cleanup. (BTW, they also work on induction.)

They hang with my Dehillerin copperware (including the monster10 qt.
copper saute pan. 8

A good place to find high-end Tramontina products is
http://tramontina.125west.com/, in Annapolis, MD.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In Bert Hyman
> wrote:

> The description of Cuisinart's "MultiClad Pro" line suggests that they
> extend their core up the sides as well, but only want $80 for their
> 5.5qt saute pan.

Just to follow up, we bought one, and after using it for a week or so
are happy with it.

I was surprised that we couldn't find one (or any of the MultiClad line)
stocked anywhere in town.

Although I was reluctant to buy sight-unseen, we got one from Amazon
without a problem.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

All-clad cookware. James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 114 11-05-2013 03:33 PM
Season All-Clad? Bubba[_3_] General Cooking 6 21-09-2009 11:45 PM
All-Clad LTD in the dishwasher klb Cooking Equipment 12 13-06-2007 10:37 PM
All-Clad raraavis General Cooking 2 25-04-2005 05:03 PM
All-Clad raraavis General Cooking 0 25-04-2005 03:46 PM