Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default more nattering about induction cooktops

I decided to get a GE induction cooktop. It has a nice (I think)
amount of power, and decent reliability compared to many other
brands. I had to see the associated literature in a shop in order
to answer my remaining questions. First, the layout of the
burners was not apparent from the pictures on GE's site, which
only show a totally black surface. Second, I wanted the answer
about putting small pots onto larger burners. The layout didn't
look that great until I found the answer to my second question.
GE explicitly states that one can use small pots on large burners,
and since only the pot gets heated. That is something I had begun
to expect, but I wanted to see confirmation of that. (I therefore
don't see why some manufacturers put the smaller concentric
circles onto the cooktop, as if it made some difference.)

One thing I didn't see mention of was a hot burner warning. I
decided this isn't a huge issue, because the burners themselves
are not terribly hot after use. One can touch them and not get
burnt (at least that is the case with the induction burners on my
old Jenn-Air).

I am reminded that I obviously can't use my old Revereware. Has
anyone tried cooking with an intervening steel plate and using an
otherwise unacceptable piece of cookware on top of that?

I think I will go back to carrying a magnet around with me, so I
can check pieces of cookware while I am out and about.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:39:08 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>.... Second, I wanted the answer
>about putting small pots onto larger burners. The layout didn't
>look that great until I found the answer to my second question.
>GE explicitly states that one can use small pots on large burners,
>and since only the pot gets heated. That is something I had begun
>to expect, but I wanted to see confirmation of that.

I thought we had all agreed that was no problem. Both my hobs state a
minimum pot diameter of 5", though. I thought the unresolved question
was whether or not full induction power gets propagated to smaller
pots.

>I am reminded that I obviously can't use my old Revereware. Has
>anyone tried cooking with an intervening steel plate and using an
>otherwise unacceptable piece of cookware on top of that?

Such a plate came with one of my hobs. It works well only for pans
used at low temps, and because it's just a lump of steel that gets
hot, it defeats the attribute of quick response.

I tried my old 1/2 inch thick cast iron Welsh bakestone, and of course
that was even worse. Some of the catalogs sell a disk with handle
attached for $50-$60, but I don't think they'reof much use.

>I think I will go back to carrying a magnet around with me, so I
>can check pieces of cookware while I am out and about.

I've been carrying a little button magnet for the past two years. 8
It's really surprising how many stores can't come up with a magnet for
testing. Haven't erased my Metro card yet...knock on keyboard.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article
"Jean B." > wrote:

> I think I will go back to carrying a magnet around with me, so I
> can check pieces of cookware while I am out and about.
> --
> Jean B.

Much too practical. I find it more fun
to ask the sales people if the cookware
is ferrous
Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:39:08 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> .... Second, I wanted the answer
>> about putting small pots onto larger burners. The layout didn't
>> look that great until I found the answer to my second question.
>> GE explicitly states that one can use small pots on large burners,
>> and since only the pot gets heated. That is something I had begun
>> to expect, but I wanted to see confirmation of that.

> I thought we had all agreed that was no problem. Both my hobs state a
> minimum pot diameter of 5", though. I thought the unresolved question
> was whether or not full induction power gets propagated to smaller
> pots.
>
>> I am reminded that I obviously can't use my old Revereware. Has
>> anyone tried cooking with an intervening steel plate and using an
>> otherwise unacceptable piece of cookware on top of that?

> Such a plate came with one of my hobs. It works well only for pans
> used at low temps, and because it's just a lump of steel that gets
> hot, it defeats the attribute of quick response.
>
> I tried my old 1/2 inch thick cast iron Welsh bakestone, and of course
> that was even worse. Some of the catalogs sell a disk with handle
> attached for $50-$60, but I don't think they'reof much use.
>
>> I think I will go back to carrying a magnet around with me, so I
>> can check pieces of cookware while I am out and about.

> I've been carrying a little button magnet for the past two years. 8
> It's really surprising how many stores can't come up with a magnet for
> testing. Haven't erased my Metro card yet...knock on keyboard.
>
> -- Larry

I expressed myself poorly. We can ask the other question too
though. Hmmm. Cards. Good thought. I carried a magnet for a
long time, then it disappeared from my pocket. It is a good thing
to have when one has an induction cooktop--or burner.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

I'll Always Be 28/01/10 wrote:
> In article
> >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I think I will go back to carrying a magnet around with me, so I
>> can check pieces of cookware while I am out and about.
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Much too practical. I find it more fun
> to ask the sales people if the cookware
> is ferrous

Well, one can ask--and then one can check.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:58:06 -0800, I'll Always Be 28/01/10
> wrote:

> I find it more fun to ask the sales people if the cookware
>is ferrous

What's Bueller got to do with this?

-- Larry

Induction cooktops isw General Cooking 64 05-08-2012 03:50 AM
induction cooktops victor bull General Cooking 1 10-08-2007 02:21 AM
induction cooktops victor bull Cooking Equipment 1 08-08-2007 11:35 PM
induction cooktops Ian Baking 0 06-08-2007 05:08 AM
Induction Cooktops Klaatu Cooking Equipment 8 20-11-2006 08:38 PM