Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Combo microwave/convection oven: Worth having?

Is the combo micro/convection oven worth buying?

Or is it just as handy to use regular microwave with
oven in stove?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> Is the combo micro/convection oven worth buying?
>
> Or is it just as handy to use regular microwave with
> oven in stove?

We opted for a single oven + microwave/convection combo when we redid the
kitchen last year, in lieu of a double oven and countertop microwave. It has
been very nice to have the extra oven space (can only be used for smaller
dishes), especially for cooking for holidays and parties.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
>> Is the combo micro/convection oven worth buying?
>>
>> Or is it just as handy to use regular microwave with
>> oven in stove?

> We opted for a single oven + microwave/convection combo when we redid the
> kitchen last year, in lieu of a double oven and countertop microwave. It
> has been very nice to have the extra oven space (can only be used for
> smaller dishes), especially for cooking for holidays and parties.

sounds like you have less oven space, as compared with the option of a
double oven/countertop microwave. But, I assume the additional counter
space has been very nice.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> Is the combo micro/convection oven worth buying?
>
> Or is it just as handy to use regular microwave with
> oven in stove?

We like ours. You can use the micro and convection at hte same time for
faster cooking with browning, but we rarely do. Nice to have the second
oven though. If it breaks, we'll do it again.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:37:39 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> Is the combo micro/convection oven worth buying?
>>
>> Or is it just as handy to use regular microwave with
>> oven in stove?

>We like ours. You can use the micro and convection at hte same time for
>faster cooking with browning, but we rarely do. Nice to have the second
>oven though. If it breaks, we'll do it again.

Amen. Our kitchen is set up with a 30" Jenn-Aire wall oven, but I also
use a Farberware Broiler/Convection Oven, a large Microwave, and a
Gourmet-royale glass convection oven (that's the round one that
Craig Claiborne used to pitch on TV). Honestly, I use the first three
all the time. If my microwave and Farberware unit could be united,
Oh, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! for more counter space. I expect the
Farberware unit to die any time now. Not looking forward to the
decision I'll have to make then.

It's nice being able to bake bread in the big oven, do a roast in the
convection unit and use the MW for incidental stuff. I use the G-R
glass one only when I need to watch the progress of the dish, or maybe
to bake a pie while the Jenn-Aire and Farberware units are otherwise
occupied.

Likewise I have a 5-burner Kenmore Elite cooktop, but there are still
times when I need to set up a small butane stove in the dining room.
That's the type you see in Chinese or Japanese restaurants.

That being said, I have no experience with the combo units so I
can't say whether the combo would do both tasks as well as the
separate units would.

Opinions from those who have the combo ovens?

Alex

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> Is the combo micro/convection oven worth buying?
>
> Or is it just as handy to use regular microwave with
> oven in stove?

I received a kenmore Advantium 120 for Christmas several years ago, and I
just love it. It has microwave, UV, and convection cooking. There are many
programmed items that are already in the database. All you have to do is
hit speedcook and then whatever it is you're cooking, and it automatically
calculates the time and temp.

However, I love the convection cooking. I've adapted many of my regular
oven recipes to convection oven specs, and they came out really well. I
especially like cookies made in the convection oven. They seem to come out
chewy, but thoroughly cooked through.

Speedcook on my oven combines microwave with UV cooking. So, you get
crispy, if you want, at a LOT shorter time than in the conventional oven.
It took me about a year to figure out times and temps to cook my converted
to speedcook from conventional recipes. I have done a lot of
experimentation.

Bottom line, I love my multipurpose oven! I had a week where the mica sheet
fell apart from overzealous cleaning (my fault), and couldn't use it. My
whole family of four about went bonkers because we had to use the
conventional oven, and it took ssooooooo looonnnggg....to cook anything,
You really do get spoiled by convenience,

Tonia

Posted to rec.food.equipment

>> We opted for a single oven + microwave/convection combo when we redid the
>> kitchen last year, in lieu of a double oven and countertop microwave. It
>> has been very nice to have the extra oven space (can only be used for
>> smaller dishes), especially for cooking for holidays and parties.

> sounds like you have less oven space, as compared with the option of a
> double oven/countertop microwave. But, I assume the additional counter
> space has been very nice.

It was my primary concern at the time, one which I found I had
overestimated. A counter microwave would have worked too. However the setup
I have works very well. The only time I miss the extra oven space is
Passover and Thanksgiving.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:37:39 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> Is the combo micro/convection oven worth buying?
>>>
>>> Or is it just as handy to use regular microwave with
>>> oven in stove?

>>We like ours. You can use the micro and convection at hte same time for
>>faster cooking with browning, but we rarely do. Nice to have the second
>>oven though. If it breaks, we'll do it again.

> Amen. Our kitchen is set up with a 30" Jenn-Aire wall oven, but I also
> use a Farberware Broiler/Convection Oven, a large Microwave, and a
> Gourmet-royale glass convection oven (that's the round one that
> Craig Claiborne used to pitch on TV). Honestly, I use the first three
> all the time. If my microwave and Farberware unit could be united,
> Oh, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! for more counter space. I expect the
> Farberware unit to die any time now. Not looking forward to the
> decision I'll have to make then.
>
> It's nice being able to bake bread in the big oven, do a roast in the
> convection unit and use the MW for incidental stuff. I use the G-R
> glass one only when I need to watch the progress of the dish, or maybe
> to bake a pie while the Jenn-Aire and Farberware units are otherwise
> occupied.
>
> Likewise I have a 5-burner Kenmore Elite cooktop, but there are still
> times when I need to set up a small butane stove in the dining room.
> That's the type you see in Chinese or Japanese restaurants.
>
> That being said, I have no experience with the combo units so I
> can't say whether the combo would do both tasks as well as the
> separate units would.
>
> Opinions from those who have the combo ovens?

The microwave works as well as any dedicated microwave. Convection is a bit
small and rotates on the microwave turntable so you need to use cookware
that can rotate in the space. It cooks wonderfully fast.

Jon