Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default Keurig one-serving coffee brewers

Can anyone speak about personal experience with the home units,
specifically the B-40 "Elite" model? If you own one and had it do
again, would you?

Follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment.

Thanks.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Can anyone speak about personal experience with the home units,
> specifically the B-40 "Elite" model? If you own one and had it do
> again, would you?
>
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment.
>
> Thanks.

We have an inexpensive Espresso maker (actually, it's not much different
than the expensive machine DD bought for her dorm room) and also it does
a good job of making a single cup of coffee. Just pack the large filter
screen with regular coffee, and run the machine until your coffee cup is
full. (I usually stop it halfway, let the water heater catch up for a
few seconds, then finish filling the cup)

But I drink so much coffee I usually brew a 12-cup pot at home just for
myself, and two of us at work use a 30-cup percolator. 8-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.equipment

maybe post this on alt.coffee?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Twug Storn" > wrote:

> maybe post this on alt.coffee?

No response from there. I posted there yesterday.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
learn much about grace from Amy and Warren.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Can anyone speak about personal experience with the home units,
> > specifically the B-40 "Elite" model? If you own one and had it do
> > again, would you?
> >
> > Follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment.
> >
> > Thanks.

> We have an inexpensive Espresso maker (actually, it's not much different
> than the expensive machine DD bought for her dorm room) and also it does
> a good job of making a single cup of coffee. Just pack the large filter
> screen with regular coffee, and run the machine until your coffee cup is
> full. (I usually stop it halfway, let the water heater catch up for a
> few seconds, then finish filling the cup)
>
> But I drink so much coffee I usually brew a 12-cup pot at home just for
> myself, and two of us at work use a 30-cup percolator. 8-)
>
> Bob

Some help you are! '-)
-B

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
learn much about grace from Amy and Warren.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Twug Storn" > wrote:

> maybe post this on alt.coffee?

I mis-wrote. I posted it to rec.food.drink.coffee and received no
useful information. Will consider alt.coffee.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
learn much about grace from Amy and Warren.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Can anyone speak about personal experience with the home units,
> specifically the B-40 "Elite" model? If you own one and had it do
> again, would you?
>
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment.
>
> Thanks.

I have a B-60 and love it. I have to say that I like my coffee
cool. Some folks complain that the coffee isn't hot enough.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Can anyone speak about personal experience with the home units,
> specifically the B-40 "Elite" model? If you own one and had it do
> again, would you?
>
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment.

My client has one of the this brand in the office. It says that it is
for commercial or residential use. I don't know what model it is. If I
remember, I'll check on Monday.

I like the Dark Magic, as do one or two cow-orkers. I like the idea of
cup by cup choice, but my choice would always be Dark Magic.

The one thing I don't like about it is that it can go stupid. Several
times it has failed to deliver enough water. Once it gets into that
state, the only thing that seems to make it sane is to power cycle it
and run two cycles (without cups).

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:22:11 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Can anyone speak about personal experience with the home units,
>specifically the B-40 "Elite" model? If you own one and had it do
>again, would you?
>
>Follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment.
>
>Thanks.

The only experience I have is with the Special Edition and I'm crazy
about it. From what I can see the only difference is the Special
Edition has a few more bells and whistles.
I also like the fact that the with the Keurig you can purchase a
basket insert that allows you to use your own coffee and not have to
purchase their k cups to use it.
There is a huge variety of beverages to choose from. You can use it to
dispense just hot water if needed.

The only drawback I've seen to it is that I can only find the k cups
at Bed Bath and Beyond or on line. Good side is the 20% off coupons
BB&B mails out. Ordering on line is very quick. I usually get my order
within a few days.

I'd highly recommend getting one. Squeaks has one in her office, her
husband has one in his and they bought one for use at their home. If I
didn't have a new Cuisinart burr grinder coffee maker I'd probably
have a Keurig at home also.

Hope this helps.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/04
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Can anyone speak about personal experience with the home units,
> specifically the B-40 "Elite" model? If you own one and had it do
> again, would you?
>
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> <http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
> learn much about grace from Amy and Warren.

Thought about one, but declined. In our house we drink one cup of tea and
two to four cups of coffee a day. Typical cost for the K pods is 55¢ a cup.
Right now we have the best teas I can find and excellent coffee for about
$15 a month. That would jump to about $50 to $60 a month. I just can't see
spending $100 or more to buy a machine that will increase my other costs by
$50 or so. That $50 can buy a lot of other ingredients or a dinner out.
Depends on your priorities.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> Thought about one, but declined. In our house we drink one cup of tea and
> two to four cups of coffee a day. Typical cost for the K pods is 55¢ a cup.
> Right now we have the best teas I can find and excellent coffee for about
> $15 a month. That would jump to about $50 to $60 a month. I just can't see
> spending $100 or more to buy a machine that will increase my other costs by
> $50 or so. That $50 can buy a lot of other ingredients or a dinner out.
> Depends on your priorities.

It's been ordered, received, and being used today. An enthusiastic
report has been received. :-) Thanks, Ed. My sense, based on the
report, is that there will be less waste with the Keurig than with a
more traditional pot. He's happy, I'm happy.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
learn much about grace from Amy and Warren.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> I'd highly recommend getting one. Squeaks has one in her office, her
> husband has one in his and they bought one for use at their home. If I
> didn't have a new Cuisinart burr grinder coffee maker I'd probably
> have a Keurig at home also.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> koko

It did. It's been ordered, received, and enjoyed by the recipient.
Thanks, Koko.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
learn much about grace from Amy and Warren.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> I have a B-60 and love it. I have to say that I like my coffee
> cool. Some folks complain that the coffee isn't hot enough.

Thanks, Jean.
-B
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
learn much about grace from Amy and Warren.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> It's been ordered, received, and being used today. An enthusiastic
> report has been received. :-) Thanks, Ed. My sense, based on the
> report, is that there will be less waste with the Keurig than with a
> more traditional pot. He's happy, I'm happy.

Funny thing is, I just saw a Keurig at work yesterday (gift for a customer)
and we were talking about them. I made the mistake of mentioning it to my
wife. She would like a combination coffee maker and espresso maker. Krups
and DeLonghi both make them for about $300.

Glad your deal worked out for you. As long as the recipient is happy . . .
.. . .

I drink tea so it is not a big deal to me either way.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Ok. I've owned my B-50 for several months. The only reason I stopped
using it was the cost. When bought it (from QVC) they threw in a
truck-load of K-cups.
Well I did the math. I needed to spend about $70. a month on the darn
coffee! The "My K-cup" is nice but only if you like weak coffee. The
inner basket is too small for my needs.

Now don't get me wrong. I still have the machine. I still want to use
it, now more than before. I just found out about the whole home
roasting/grinding thing!

There is a pod maker system that seems to be able to allow me to make
my own pods for use in a special "Kup container" in my B-50. This way
I can just make a few pods at a time. When I make the coffee I just
toss the pod and don't need to really wash out the darn basket. It's
more like a regular K-cup. But I can put in the coffee I want and at
(hopefully) the strength I like.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope it answers your questions.

Stephen

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:22:11 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Can anyone speak about personal experience with the home units,
>specifically the B-40 "Elite" model? If you own one and had it do
>again, would you?
>
>Follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment.
>
>Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I have the B60 model and love it. It is designed for those who only
need one or two cups at a time. It is fast and convenient and the
price is not bad when compared to instant coffee or what you get at a
coffee shop. There is a large variety of coffee available and you can
simply order it on the Internet and it arrives a couple of days later
- shipping included. Its German design is outstanding. It never
drips a drop after filling a cup with one of its three settings and
you are not wasting energy keeping a pot warm. It also goes a long
time (months) before requiring any kind of cleaning.

You can buy the kit to make your own also, but that takes away much of
the time saving and the convnenience advantage.

Coffeeholics should stick with the pot brewers.