Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default No More Microwave

For those who think they can't live without a microwave or chose not to use
one any longer, today I put mine out-of-site and out-of operation after
giving it a go for maybe 6 weeks' duration.

In that period of time, I 'trained' myself to use more often/readily the
stove top, or oven.

Drinking espresso means we don't use the microwave to reheat coffee.
Adding hot water to anything comes from the electric tea kettle which is
really fast.

If nothing else, the added counter space is nice.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:16:28 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>For those who think they can't live without a microwave or chose not to use
>one any longer, today I put mine out-of-site and out-of operation after
>giving it a go for maybe 6 weeks' duration.
>
>In that period of time, I 'trained' myself to use more often/readily the
>stove top, or oven.
>
>If nothing else, the added counter space is nice.

True -- congratulations, Dee. The counter space is a big argument for us too.

But I'll still keep my small, $70 microwave around for a few specific tasks that
I believe it does better, faster, or with less mess:

1. Thawing frozen meat and veggies.
2. Cooking fresh or frozen corn and peas.
3. Melting chocolate or butter.
4. Pre-heating espresso cups.

Don't think I use it for anything else.

The biggest value to me is for evening espresso. I can fill the Jura reservoir
with water (30 seconds). Turn Jura on. Put tap water in espresso cups. Microwave
cups on high for 90 seconds. By that time, Jura is ready. Brew two max.
strength, double shots (60 seconds).

Total elapsed time from unpredictable, mad craving to espresso for two: less
than four minutes.

>Drinking espresso means we don't use the microwave to reheat coffee.

We never reheat coffee. Brew into a thermal carafe, and throw away anything
remaining half an hour later.

>Adding hot water to anything comes from the electric tea kettle which is
>really fast.

But not as fast for the espresso cups, unless you keep the kettle hot all the
time...

So now tell us the truth: what's going in that microwave counter space? We all
know that no kitchen space stays empty for long... 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> But I'll still keep my small, $70 microwave around for a few specific tasks that
> I believe it does better, faster, or with less mess:
>
> 1. Thawing frozen meat and veggies.

I hate mine for that, especially with meat. Maybe I just have a cheapo
microwave and a good one will do better, but I find it very nearly impossible to
get a significant portion of something thawed without cooking a corner of it
somewhere. (I understand the physics behind this; microwaves heat liquid water
much faster than they heat ice, but knowing that doesn't help much.)

The only solution I've found is to go slowly and microwave on low power in short
bursts with a fair bit of time in between each, to let the heat disperse to the
colder areas.

But, this ends up taking so long that I'm no better off than thawing it in warm
water in the first place.

-C
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:16:28 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

> today I put mine out-of-site and out-of operation after
>giving it a go for maybe 6 weeks' duration.

You get to choose. What works or doesn't for you might not be
applicable to all.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:16:28 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
> But I'll still keep my small, $70 microwave around for a few specific
> tasks that
> I believe it does better, faster, or with less mess:
>
> 1. Thawing frozen meat and veggies.
> 2. Cooking fresh or frozen corn and peas.
> 3. Melting chocolate or butter.
> 4. Pre-heating espresso cups.
>
> Don't think I use it for anything else.

This is how I'm doing a "Costco" bought, frozen fillet salmon as we speak.
Oven just now beeped it is 450º.
I put parchment in a ceramic pan, then EVOO, put salmon fillets in, topped
with onion, lime & tiny garden hot peppers. I've been doing my frozen
fillets this way for a long time anyway. I read somewhere that salmon
cooked 'from frozen' was just as good as thawed-first. Frozen peas are
going in the oven, too.
Mashed potatoes, top of stove.
Bottle of wine -- no problem.

> So now tell us the truth: what's going in that microwave counter space? We
> all
> know that no kitchen space stays empty for long... 8
>
> -- Larry

You're so right! Today I used the space to great advantage. Lined up the
garbage bowl, KitchenAid food processor with juice reamer, pitcher, and ice
cubes trays and juiced a heaping-bag full of limes.

Making espresso -- well, we all have our little routine. I turn on Miss
Silvia in the a.m. before we get up; DH does the rest for me after I yell
out "I'm uuuupppp."
On those days he's in CT, well, that's another sad story for me.

Butter and chocolate -- well, now -- so far, I've not had that 'chore' --
I'll think about it tomorrow :-)))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:42:53 -0700, Chris De Young >
wrote:

>The only solution I've found is to go slowly and microwave on low power in short
>bursts with a fair bit of time in between each, to let the heat disperse to the
>colder areas.

Mine has three "thaw" cycles, which work reasonably well. But I still do what
you describe if the package is over a pound.

>But, this ends up taking so long that I'm no better off than thawing it in warm
>water in the first place.

According to the "experts", one should never thaw in warm water -- it's supposed
to be a distinct health hazard. Cold water only. they say.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:21:31 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>.... I turn on Miss Silvia in the a.m. before we get up...

Remote-controlled Sylvia! Another first! 8

>... DH does the rest for me after I yell out "I'm uuuupppp."

Must be nice. I'd suggest something similar to my wife, but I hate going to work
with unsightly bumps all over my head...

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:21:31 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>.... I turn on Miss Silvia in the a.m. before we get up...

> Remote-controlled Sylvia! Another first! 8
>
>>... DH does the rest for me after I yell out "I'm uuuupppp."

> Must be nice. I'd suggest something similar to my wife, but I hate going
> to work
> with unsightly bumps all over my head...
>
> -- Larry

<smiling>
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:25:20 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:
>"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:21:31 -0400, "Dee Randall" >

This will make you drag your microwave out of the dumpster!!

Most Dangerous Chocolate Cake

Most Dangerous Chocolate Cake Recipe in the World
5-MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
1 Coffee Mug
4 tablespoons flour (that's plain flour, not self-rising)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
some nuts (optional)
Small splash of vanilla
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix
thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high. The cake
will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (This can serve 2 if you want to share!)
And why , i s this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any
time of the day or night!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chris De Young" > wrote in message
>> But I'll still keep my small, $70 microwave around for a few specific
>> tasks that
>> I believe it does better, faster, or with less mess:
>>
>> 1. Thawing frozen meat and veggies.

> I hate mine for that, especially with meat. Maybe I just have a cheapo
> microwave and a good one will do better, but I find it very nearly
> impossible to
> get a significant portion of something thawed without cooking a corner of
> it
> somewhere. (I understand the physics behind this; microwaves heat liquid
> water
> much faster than they heat ice, but knowing that doesn't help much.)
>
> The only solution I've found is to go slowly and microwave on low power in
> short
> bursts with a fair bit of time in between each, to let the heat disperse
> to the
> colder areas.
>
> But, this ends up taking so long that I'm no better off than thawing it in
> warm
> water in the first place.
>
> -C

Hi Chris,

Here is something I tried in the distant past. I can't even recall now if it
worked. Probably not. I don't even recall if it was "before Microwave."
http://a1.vox.com/6a00d09e7bc293be2b...75f10001-500pi

It's called MiracleThaw and was featured on TV, it seems. Here at one site
it says:

Defrost foods naturally in just minutes. Made of a super-conductive metal
alloy that absorbs natural heat energy in the air and transfers it directly
to the frozen natural juices for ultimate flavor. Size: 8" X 14"

It's a wonderment all the cooking equipment/gadgets we've tried :-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message

> According to the "experts", one should never thaw in warm water -- it's
> supposed
> to be a distinct health hazard. Cold water only. they say.
>
> -- Larry

Depends. If you have a whole chicken, cold water and a couple of hours. If
you have a small cut, say a steak, warm water and cooking it right away is
OK. You just want to avoid long times in warm water where bacteria can
grow.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> For those who think they can't live without a microwave or chose not to use
> one any longer, today I put mine out-of-site and out-of operation after
> giving it a go for maybe 6 weeks' duration.
>
> In that period of time, I 'trained' myself to use more often/readily the
> stove top, or oven.
>
> Drinking espresso means we don't use the microwave to reheat coffee.
> Adding hot water to anything comes from the electric tea kettle which is
> really fast.
>
> If nothing else, the added counter space is nice.

Dee Dee,

First, let me say that I applaud you for making your decision not by
prejudice, but by trying things out and going the way you are most
comfortable with. All too often, people make decisions simply because
everyone else does it, no one else does it, it looks cook, etc.

But I wish to defend the microwave as a weapon in one's culinary
arsenal. So often, with microwaves, people just plug in some minute or
half-minute interval, and expect miracles. That cannot be. Each
microwave is different, and even microwaves from the same maker with the
same power will be different.

In my own cooking, I have found various odd numbered time intervals for
different foods, sometimes combined with reduced power flows. And I
have found that when used judiciously, the microwave can affect results
that other forms cannot replicate. One quick example is when I do a
marinade. I heat the liquid base at medium to medium-high for about
22-28 seconds, then stir to incorporate herbs and spices. This brings
just enough warmth to allow faster infusion of flavors into the fluid,
which is then applied to the meat, where the more volatile fluid can
then carry the flavors deeper into the meat.

But like my 30+ pans, 3 food processors, 2 KA stand mixers, 4 bread
machines and 3 ice cream makers, I have to look at microwaves carefully,
and match up what I am going to cook with the right implement of
culinary magic. And there are many jobs for which the microwave is not
suited.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 18 Sep 2008 11:16:28a, Dee Randall told us...

> For those who think they can't live without a microwave or chose not to
> use one any longer, today I put mine out-of-site and out-of operation
> after giving it a go for maybe 6 weeks' duration.
>
> In that period of time, I 'trained' myself to use more often/readily the
> stove top, or oven.
>
> Drinking espresso means we don't use the microwave to reheat coffee.
> Adding hot water to anything comes from the electric tea kettle which is
> really fast.
>
> If nothing else, the added counter space is nice.
>
> Dee Dee

I would miss mine tremendously, although I don't actually cook a meal in
it. Too many small uses to count, but used daily, and usually multiple
times. Actually, there are two of them, one modest size extra high-powered
unit and one over-the range high powered unit. Sometimes I use both,
especially if I use the "keep warm" setting in one or both of them. I
don't have or have room for a warming drawer.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
7wks 4dys 4hrs 15mins
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog
with a moose.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Randall wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Here is something I tried in the distant past. I can't even recall now if it
> worked. Probably not. I don't even recall if it was "before Microwave."
> http://a1.vox.com/6a00d09e7bc293be2b...75f10001-500pi
>
> It's called MiracleThaw and was featured on TV, it seems. Here at one site
> it says:
>
> Defrost foods naturally in just minutes. Made of a super-conductive metal
> alloy that absorbs natural heat energy in the air and transfers it directly
> to the frozen natural juices for ultimate flavor. Size: 8" X 14"
>
> It's a wonderment all the cooking equipment/gadgets we've tried :-))
>
> Dee Dee

Try the same thawing on amy heavy aluminum surface. That's the
"miracle" I think there are articles on the net that explain why
aluminum works so well.
Mickey
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:10:57 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Depends. If you have a whole chicken, cold water and a couple of hours.

Don't forget to add one half cup salt to the water....brining at the
same time you are thawing. Makes the best chicken.