Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default New Slow Cooker

After tossing the horrid Rival "programmable" Crock Pot into the trash
along with the baked beans it burned, I went in search of a new one. No
one here had a viable suggestion so I bought a Hamilton Beach Set &
Forget 5 quart programmable slow cooker. It's an oval cooker with a
removable insert.

It has three modes: time, temperature (the old fashioned high or low)
and a temperature probe. The lid has a rubber gasket and clips to hold
it down so most of the steam stays in the cooker with little evaporation
of the braising liquid.

The programs will automatically go to "warm" when the set time expires
or the temperature is reached. I sprayed it with cooking spray before
using it and it cleaned up beautifully.

I did a small flat-cut brisket in it today and it was perfectly cooked.
This cooker is a vast improvement over the Rival that boiled away even
when it was set on warm.

It was $39.99 at Target.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Dec 5, 11:49 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> After tossing the horrid Rival "programmable" Crock Pot into the trash
> along with the baked beans it burned, I went in search of a new one. No
> one here had a viable suggestion so I bought a Hamilton Beach Set &
> Forget 5 quart programmable slow cooker. It's an oval cooker with a
> removable insert.
>
> It has three modes: time, temperature (the old fashioned high or low)
> and a temperature probe. The lid has a rubber gasket and clips to hold
> it down so most of the steam stays in the cooker with little evaporation
> of the braising liquid.
>
> The programs will automatically go to "warm" when the set time expires
> or the temperature is reached. I sprayed it with cooking spray before
> using it and it cleaned up beautifully.
>
> I did a small flat-cut brisket in it today and it was perfectly cooked.
> This cooker is a vast improvement over the Rival that boiled away even
> when it was set on warm.
>
> It was $39.99 at Target.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Janet,

To echo what you said, I've been using my Hamilton Beach Programmable
Slow Cooker for about 6 months and I am totally pleased with it.

I too got it on sale at Target at $39.88 and feel that it was an
excellent buy.

I've done everything from lamb, ribs, pot roasts, posole, stews,
soups, country ribs, turkey breast, corned beef brisket, brisket, etc.

I love the feature of how it shifts to warm when done cooking and that
you can use either hot or warm as a starter.

I've used the temperature probe, a great feature and even used manual
settings.

Have fun and good food with yours.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 2007-12-06, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> After tossing the horrid Rival "programmable" Crock Pot into the trash
> along with the baked beans it burned, I went in search of a new one. No
> one here had a viable suggestion so I bought a Hamilton Beach Set &
> Forget 5 quart programmable slow cooker. It's an oval cooker with a
> removable insert.
>
> It has three modes: time, temperature (the old fashioned high or low)
> and a temperature probe.

[...]

When using the temperature probe, can you set any temperature you
want? What are the increments/precision?

--
Randall
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Randall Nortman wrote:

>> It has three modes: time, temperature (the old fashioned high or low)
>> and a temperature probe.

> [...]
>
> When using the temperature probe, can you set any temperature you
> want? What are the increments/precision?

I believe so. Here are the directions for using the probe:

After inserting it: press ON. Press PROBE. Heat setting will be
illuminated. Press arrows to select desired heat setting (there are up
and down arrows). Press ENTER. Desired temp will illuminate. Press
arrows to select desired temperature. Press ENTER.