Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slow Cooker - Pot within the Pot

I have a large slow cooker but live alone.

Often I will cook a large meal, use what I need then freeze the rest so
despite its size it is used often.

I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
cooker and seems to work OK.

So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as
to if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering
heating area of larger slow cooker pot.

Geoff Lane
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Geoff Lane wrote:

> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.
>
> Often I will cook a large meal, use what I need then freeze the rest so
> despite its size it is used often.
>
> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
> cooker and seems to work OK.
>
> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as
> to if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering
> heating area of larger slow cooker pot.
>
> Geoff Lane

If you are referring to a crock pot as a slow cooker, why would you put a
smaller pot in there? Just put less food in there and put on the lid.

Regardless, a pot within a pot sounds like a wasteful step to me.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2012 13:10, Gary wrote:
> Geoff Lane wrote:
>>
>> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.

>> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
>> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
>> cooker and seems to work OK.

>> Geoff Lane

> If you are referring to a crock pot as a slow cooker, why would you put a
> smaller pot in there? Just put less food in there and put on the lid.
>
> Regardless, a pot within a pot sounds like a wasteful step to me.
>
> Gary

Reason is that often the jars or packet sauce mixes barely cover the
bottom of the crock pot let alone cover the contents so the smaller pot
within raises the level of the sauce.

Geoff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Geoff Lane wrote:

> On 10/06/2012 13:10, Gary wrote:
> > Geoff Lane wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.

> >> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
> >> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
> >> cooker and seems to work OK.

> >> Geoff Lane

> > If you are referring to a crock pot as a slow cooker, why would you put a
> > smaller pot in there? Just put less food in there and put on the lid.
> >
> > Regardless, a pot within a pot sounds like a wasteful step to me.
> >
> > Gary

> Reason is that often the jars or packet sauce mixes barely cover the
> bottom of the crock pot let alone cover the contents so the smaller pot
> within raises the level of the sauce.
>
> Geoff

In that case, I would skip the large crock pot and just cook in a small
saucepan on the stove. Such a small amount should cook fairly quickly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 4:44*am, Geoff Lane > wrote:
> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.
>
> Often I will cook a large meal, use what I need then freeze the rest so
> despite its size it is used often.
>
> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
> cooker and seems to work OK.
>
> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as
> to if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering
> heating area of larger slow cooker pot.

I would take two sets of time to temperature measurements inside the
regular pot and inside your inner pot. My concern is that your inner
pot contents stay much cooler than you think they are, because of the
inefficient heat transfer into the smaller pot. Use water, or better
yet, use actual stew or other real food.

My current slow cooker heats from the bottom, and has a continuous
temperature control, so I could match the food temperature fairly well
if I tried your method. Some slow cookers, I believe, wrap the heating
element around the pot, so your inner pot approach may never get up to
temperature.

Have you considered just buying a tiny crock pot?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2012 13:10, Gary wrote:
> Geoff Lane wrote:
>>
>> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.

>> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
>> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
>> cooker and seems to work OK.
>>
>> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as
>> to if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering
>> heating area of larger slow cooker pot.
>>
>> Geoff Lane

> If you are referring to a crock pot as a slow cooker, why would you put a
> smaller pot in there? Just put less food in there and put on the lid.
>
> Regardless, a pot within a pot sounds like a wasteful step to me.
>
> Gary

The smaller pot allows the sauce to cover the contents for a small
dinner whereas in the bigger crockpot doesn't.

Not really a waste as the smaller pot is easier to clean and the
crockpot only has water in it so just needs a wipe.

Geoff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 2:32*pm, Geoff Lane > wrote:

> On 10/06/2012 13:10, Gary wrote:
>

> > Geoff Lane wrote:

> >> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.
> >> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
> >> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
> >> cooker and seems to work OK.

> >> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as
> >> to if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering
> >> heating area of larger slow cooker pot.

> >> Geoff Lane

> > If you are referring to a crock pot as a slow cooker, why would you put a
> > smaller pot in there? Just put less food in there and put on the lid.

> > Regardless, a pot within a pot sounds like a wasteful step to me.

> > Gary

> The smaller pot allows the sauce to cover the contents for a small
> dinner whereas in the bigger crockpot doesn't.
>
> Not really a waste as the smaller pot is easier to clean and the
> crockpot only has water in it so just needs a wipe.
>
> Geoff

I'm going with Gary's suggestion but it doesn't seem to matter what
anyone tells you. You've decided to do it this way, so why the
post?? You're not looking for any reasonable answers; are we to
congratulate you on your 'system?'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Geoff Lane" > wrote in message
>I have a large slow cooker but live alone.
>
> Often I will cook a large meal, use what I need then freeze the rest so
> despite its size it is used often.
>
> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
> cooker and seems to work OK.
>
> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as to
> if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering heating
> area of larger slow cooker pot.

I have several slow cookers in different sizes. The only thing I have put
in there is the baking pan. I have made cake and bread in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Geoff Lane wrote:
>>
>> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.
>>
>> Often I will cook a large meal, use what I need then freeze the rest so
>> despite its size it is used often.
>>
>> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
>> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
>> cooker and seems to work OK.
>>
>> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as
>> to if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering
>> heating area of larger slow cooker pot.
>>
>> Geoff Lane

> If you are referring to a crock pot as a slow cooker, why would you put a
> smaller pot in there? Just put less food in there and put on the lid.
>
> Regardless, a pot within a pot sounds like a wasteful step to me.

You need to use the correct sized cooker for your food. If you put in too
little, it will overcook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

since i beleive in bulk cooking i would not use the smaller pot, Lee
"Geoff Lane" > wrote in message
>I have a large slow cooker but live alone.
>
> Often I will cook a large meal, use what I need then freeze the rest so
> despite its size it is used often.
>
> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
> cooker and seems to work OK.
>
> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as to
> if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering heating
> area of larger slow cooker pot.
>
> Geoff Lane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Geoff Lane wrote:

> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
> cooker and seems to work OK.

Smaller sized slow cookers work great. They come in several sizes. If
you don't want to keep the big one donate it. That's my suggestion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 4:44*am, Geoff Lane > wrote:
> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.
>
> Often I will cook a large meal, use what I need then freeze the rest so
> despite its size it is used often.
>
> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
> cooker and seems to work OK.
>
> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as
> to if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering
> heating area of larger slow cooker pot.
>
> Geoff Lane

Why not buy a smaller one to suit your needs. they aren't expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:32:35 +0100, Geoff Lane
> wrote:

>On 10/06/2012 13:10, Gary wrote:
>> Geoff Lane wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.

>>> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
>>> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
>>> cooker and seems to work OK.
>>>
>>> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as
>>> to if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering
>>> heating area of larger slow cooker pot.
>>>
>>> Geoff Lane

>> If you are referring to a crock pot as a slow cooker, why would you put a
>> smaller pot in there? Just put less food in there and put on the lid.
>>
>> Regardless, a pot within a pot sounds like a wasteful step to me.
>>
>> Gary

>The smaller pot allows the sauce to cover the contents for a small
>dinner whereas in the bigger crockpot doesn't.
>
>Not really a waste as the smaller pot is easier to clean and the
>crockpot only has water in it so just needs a wipe.

I don't cook small meals unless it's three fried eggs, or a package of
ramen... ten minutes of kitchen time. But if I'm going to cook it has
to be minimally enough to feed ten... even when I cook for company I
make double so to fill my freezer... that's why I'm braising ten pork
chops right now and I'll cook two pounds of ziti, and there'll only be
three of us for dinner. I already tasted the sauce, I bet more than
half will be consumed... pork chop sauce is to die for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 1:04*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:32:35 +0100, Geoff Lane
>

> > wrote:

> >> If you are referring to a crock pot as a slow cooker, why would you put a
> >> smaller pot in there? Just put less food in there and put on the lid.

> >> Regardless, a pot within a pot sounds like a wasteful step to me.

> >> Gary

> >The smaller pot allows the sauce to cover the contents for a small
> >dinner whereas in the bigger crockpot doesn't.

> >Not really a waste as the smaller pot is easier to clean and the
> >crockpot only has water in it so just needs a wipe.

> I don't cook small meals unless it's three fried eggs, or a package of
> ramen... ten minutes of kitchen time. *But if I'm going to cook it has
> to be minimally enough to feed ten... even when I cook for company I
> make double so to fill my freezer... that's why I'm braising ten pork
> chops right now and I'll cook two pounds of ziti, and there'll only be
> three of us for dinner. *I already tasted the sauce, I bet more than
> half will be consumed... pork chop sauce is to die for.

You're a real trend setter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2012 22:18, Julie Bove wrote:

> You need to use the correct sized cooker for your food. If you put in too
> little, it will overcook.

This was the information I was looking for however, I was under the
impression that the idea of slow cooking, particularly on low, meant
that meal times could be variable as food kept hot.

Geoff Lane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2012 22:17, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have several slow cookers in different sizes. The only thing I have put
> in there is the baking pan. I have made cake and bread in it.

I am intrigued, how do you do bread in a slow cooker, I thought bread
needed high temperature.

Geoff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/06/2012 20:06, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Jun 10, 4:44 am, Geoff > wrote:
>> I have a large slow cooker but live alone.
>>
>> Often I will cook a large meal, use what I need then freeze the rest so
>> despite its size it is used often.
>>
>> I have recently tried putting a smaller pot within the slow cooker for
>> small meals, I have a 16cm Le Creuset pot which fits nicely in the slow
>> cooker and seems to work OK.
>>
>> So far it has appeared to work OK but have any readers any comments as
>> to if this increases cooking time due to smaller pot not covering
>> heating area of larger slow cooker pot.
>>
>> Geoff Lane

> Why not buy a smaller one to suit your needs. they aren't expensive.

Because the second paragraph says 'I use it often', if I can use it also
for smaller meals it becomes even more useful.

I may not have made my original post clear but I was asking for comments
re how cooking times may vary, if at all.

Geoff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Geoff Lane wrote:

> On 14/06/2012 23:52, Gary wrote:
> > If I'm getting picked on here, I still say that cooking something in a pot
> > within a crockpot is weird.

> Not picking on you at all, forums should be friendly places with good
> advice and banter.

Thanks Geoff. I like the advice and banter here in RFC but it *IS* a
semi-hostile environment. I was warned about that before I started posting
here. You need to make sure that you say something clearly or you'll
get called on it. Sometimes others get the wrong meaning of what I say.

And then, I can clearly say what I mean sometimes and still get called on my
beliefs. In that case, I will argue my point but I always take into
consideration what others have to say. Often I will listen, do more
research, and I will concede if someone educates me.

I also like to tease people sometimes but no offense ever intended. I like
every single person that posts here, even the sometimes difficult ones. I've
never killfiled anyone.

Finally, this is a good group. It's about food and I learn from what I read
and I'll contribute when I have something worthy to add. I also like it
because OT subjects are accepted here. We're like one large family here and
arguments always occur in a family. Nice that we all know each other and can
talk about anything without restrictions.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/06/2012 12:14, Gary wrote:
> Geoff Lane wrote:

> Thanks Geoff. I like the advice and banter here in RFC but it *IS* a
> semi-hostile environment.

Yes, I've seen a few heated exchanges on other forums, can be quite
amusing but sometimes gets insulting.

Thanks for reply.

Geoff