Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Update Kenmore Hidden bake element

The service guy came over today & said he has heard of the smoking
before with the hidden bake element. The bottom floor of the oven gets
over 600 degrees. He said he's going to get me a broiler pan to set on
the oven floor. This usually resolves the issue. My concern is this
doesn't sound safe. A broiler pan over 600 degrees. Isn't it going to
smoke the same. I would imagine this might be hard on the oven as
well. Also isn't it going to affect the way it bakes. Thanks
Posted to rec.food.equipment

wendymg wrote:
> The service guy came over today & said he has heard of the smoking
> before with the hidden bake element. The bottom floor of the oven gets
> over 600 degrees. He said he's going to get me a broiler pan to set on
> the oven floor. This usually resolves the issue. My concern is this
> doesn't sound safe. A broiler pan over 600 degrees. Isn't it going to
> smoke the same. I would imagine this might be hard on the oven as
> well. Also isn't it going to affect the way it bakes. Thanks

That wouldn't satisfy me, Wendy. Sounds like a bandaid.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dora Crawford" > wrote in message
> wendymg wrote:
>> The service guy came over today & said he has heard of the smoking
>> before with the hidden bake element. The bottom floor of the oven gets
>> over 600 degrees. He said he's going to get me a broiler pan to set on
>> the oven floor. This usually resolves the issue. My concern is this
>> doesn't sound safe. A broiler pan over 600 degrees. Isn't it going to
>> smoke the same. I would imagine this might be hard on the oven as
>> well. Also isn't it going to affect the way it bakes. Thanks

> That wouldn't satisfy me, Wendy. Sounds like a bandaid.
>
> Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"wendymg" > wrote in message
> The service guy came over today & said he has heard of the smoking
> before with the hidden bake element. The bottom floor of the oven gets
> over 600 degrees. He said he's going to get me a broiler pan to set on
> the oven floor. This usually resolves the issue. My concern is this
> doesn't sound safe. A broiler pan over 600 degrees. Isn't it going to
> smoke the same. I would imagine this might be hard on the oven as
> well. Also isn't it going to affect the way it bakes. Thanks

600º !!! I try for this 600F when I make pizza, and it's darned hard to
achieve it with an oven that goes to 550.

Sears service guy?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:36:16 -0500, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:

>600º !!! I try for this 600F when I make pizza, and it's darned hard to
>achieve it with an oven that goes to 550.

That's the bottom surface, Dee -- not the oven temp.

I noticed things would burn nastily on the bottom of my oven, too. My fix was to
put one of my three racks permanently at the very bottom, and put my pizza stone
on it. The stone never comes out, except rarely to be scraped.

Works great for pizza and breads, and solves the problem of drips hitting the
ultra-hot bottom metal surface.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:36:16 -0500, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>
>>600º !!! I try for this 600F when I make pizza, and it's darned hard to
>>achieve it with an oven that goes to 550.

> That's the bottom surface, Dee -- not the oven temp.

> -- Larry

True; I try for the close-to-600º infrared thermometer reading by leaving
the stone in longer than people normally do before I begin to bake. I
always recite Ken's (of alt.baking.sourdough) reasoning, which no one except
'he and me' seems to agree about and creates a life (thread) of its own.
;-))

Gives me solice on a snowy evening.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Dec 5, 12:19 pm, wendymg > wrote:
> The service guy came over today & said he has heard of the smoking
> before with the hidden bake element. The bottom floor of the oven gets
> over 600 degrees. He said he's going to get me a broiler pan to set on
> the oven floor. This usually resolves the issue. My concern is this
> doesn't sound safe. A broiler pan over 600 degrees. Isn't it going to
> smoke the same. I would imagine this might be hard on the oven as
> well. Also isn't it going to affect the way it bakes. Thanks

He says that's normal with that hidden bake element. The floor gets to
600 degrees but not the whole oven.