Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Default Jenn Air - Big Pot Canning Element

The main reason we chose conventional coil cartridges for our Jenn Air
was the amount of canning that I do. I use a 22 qt pressure canner as
well as extra large stock pots on a fairly regular basis. As much as I
like the look of the smooth top burners, conventional coil burners were
the way to go. I ordered the *big pot canning element* and finally the
stove is as I want. This element is really slick. If you look at the
underside supports on a normal element, the supports on this element are
almost double in height. There is a special air ring around the
supports that elevates the element eliminating the problem of heat
build-up under the oversized pots that can damage the component parts of
the cooktop. From experience, this is a problem with electric stoves.
I've canned for years on an electric stove and know the problems using
the oversized pots. I'm wondering why other manufactures couldn't make
a similar re-enforced, elevated replacement element for one of the large
burners. I know you can take them out for cleaning anyway and the
re-enforced element takes the same energy as the normal element. It
would give the consumer that extra choice.

BTW, I'm really enjoying the plug & playability of this stove. It feels
like at least three different kinds of stoves all rolled into one.

BTW 2 - hey MoM, I took a look at the Jenn Air you bought. I really
like the dual fuel and extra burner. I also like the idea of a second
oven. Does your model have any storage area under the ovens? Is it
downdraft or do you need a fume hood?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"~patches~" > wrote in message
snip
I'm wondering why other manufactures couldn't make
> a similar re-enforced, elevated replacement element for one of the large
> burners. I know you can take them out for cleaning anyway and the
> re-enforced element takes the same energy as the normal element. It would
> give the consumer that extra choice.

The canning/large pot element is available as a replacement burner for all
large electric burner stoves.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
> snip
> I'm wondering why other manufactures couldn't make
>
>>a similar re-enforced, elevated replacement element for one of the large
>>burners. I know you can take them out for cleaning anyway and the
>>re-enforced element takes the same energy as the normal element. It would
>>give the consumer that extra choice.

> The canning/large pot element is available as a replacement burner for all
> large electric burner stoves.
> Janet

No way! All these years of canning and nowhere did I ever find a
canning/large pot element. I've never seen it as an option either and
that wasn't from lack of looking for one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:

snip
>> The canning/large pot element is available as a replacement burner for
>> all large electric burner stoves.
>> Janet

> No way! All these years of canning and nowhere did I ever find a
> canning/large pot element. I've never seen it as an option either and
> that wasn't from lack of looking for one.

You will find the element at the business that sells repair parts to
contractors and also sells repair parts retail. If you have access to this
kind of store, it's hard to tell how they may identify themselves in the
telephone book. You may just have to ask around. My store just has an
owner's name. You'll want to find it anyway because the canning element may
still warp and you will want to replace it. The element costs about $30-35.
I got mine about 10 years ago. I've never seen it as an option for the
stove as a purchased model. I guess it's a big secret.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
pamjd

The wok element is also wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> The main reason we chose conventional coil cartridges for
> our Jenn Air was the amount of canning that I do. I use a
> 22 qt pressure canner as well as extra large stock pots on
> a fairly regular basis. As much as I like the look of the
> smooth top burners, conventional coil burners were the way
> to go. I ordered the *big pot canning element* and
> finally the stove is as I want. This element is really
> slick. If you look at the underside supports on a normal
> element, the supports on this element are almost double in
> height. There is a special air ring around the supports
> that elevates the element eliminating the problem of heat
> build-up under the oversized pots that can damage the
> component parts of the cooktop. From experience, this is
> a problem with electric stoves. I've canned for years on
> an electric stove and know the problems using the
> oversized pots. I'm wondering why other manufactures
> couldn't make a similar re-enforced, elevated replacement
> element for one of the large burners. I know you can take
> them out for cleaning anyway and the re-enforced element
> takes the same energy as the normal element. It would
> give the consumer that extra choice.
>
> BTW, I'm really enjoying the plug & playability of this
> stove. It feels like at least three different kinds of
> stoves all rolled into one.
>
> BTW 2 - hey MoM, I took a look at the Jenn Air you bought.
> I really like the dual fuel and extra burner. I also like
> the idea of a second oven. Does your model have any
> storage area under the ovens? Is it downdraft or do you
> need a fume hood?

Sounds like you got exactly what you wanted.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Mine does not have a drawer or down draft. I don't miss the
drawer, it only collected junk. I don't like downdraft we
had that at our last place and it seemed to suck the heat
away from the burner.

We put in a higher speed hood instead.

MoM