Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Flat bowls or plates to bread fish

Today I fried fish and made three aluminum flat packages to put the
flour, egg and panko in before putting the pieces into a hot fry pan.

I did this because I am tired of cleaning up the mess, and also so I
could have them equal in size adjacent to my stove where I could
1.2.3.4 - dip, dip, dip, the into the pan.

I used about 3/4 cup of flour, 1 egg and 1 cup panko for 4 smallish/
medium fillets of mahi-mahi FWIW.

Has anyone ever seen any 3-some 'fit together' or side-by-side
rectangular dishes to do this job?

Thanks.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote:
> Today I fried fish and made three aluminum flat packages to put the
> flour, egg and panko in before putting the pieces into a hot fry pan.
>
> I did this because I am tired of cleaning up the mess, and also so I
> could have them equal in size adjacent to my stove where I could
> 1.2.3.4 - dip, dip, dip, the into the pan.
>
> I used about 3/4 cup of flour, 1 egg and 1 cup panko for 4 smallish/
> medium fillets of mahi-mahi FWIW.
>
> Has anyone ever seen any 3-some 'fit together' or side-by-side
> rectangular dishes to do this job?

Here's a set that's probably just what you have in mind:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/...3&item=201 33

If the link doesn't work, just go to www.chefscatalog.com and put 20133 in the
search box on the top right.

I don't do the thing with the three step coating, so I don't have such a thing.
But I realized things are a lot easier with a flat bottomed bowl for dredging
things in flour. I saw a recommendation of using a pie pan, so I looked for one
in the junk shops. Strangely they didn't have any. But what I found was a cheap
cake pan of some sort, probably from the 1950s or even much earlier. It was made
by WearEver and is very heavy aluminum, not the thin stuff of later years. Works
great for me and only cost me $2.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On May 18, 5:47 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> > Today I fried fish and made three aluminum flat packages to put the
> > flour, egg and panko in before putting the pieces into a hot fry pan.

> > I did this because I am tired of cleaning up the mess, and also so I
> > could have them equal in size adjacent to my stove where I could
> > 1.2.3.4 - dip, dip, dip, the into the pan.

> > I used about 3/4 cup of flour, 1 egg and 1 cup panko for 4 smallish/
> > medium fillets of mahi-mahi FWIW.

> > Has anyone ever seen any 3-some 'fit together' or side-by-side
> > rectangular dishes to do this job?

> Here's a set that's probably just what you have in mind:
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/...nd=search&sear...
>
> If the link doesn't work, just go towww.chefscatalog.comand put 20133 in the
> search box on the top right.
>
> I don't do the thing with the three step coating, so I don't have such a thing.
> But I realized things are a lot easier with a flat bottomed bowl for dredging
> things in flour. I saw a recommendation of using a pie pan, so I looked for one
> in the junk shops. Strangely they didn't have any. But what I found was a cheap
> cake pan of some sort, probably from the 1950s or even much earlier. It was made
> by WearEver and is very heavy aluminum, not the thin stuff of later years. Works
> great for me and only cost me $2.
>
> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Thanks, I and wff.

I, I've tried the bag/shaking thing before; I never seem to get it
right that way, and I create even more of a mess. What I do like is
throwing the whole thing away when I'm finished. However, I do like
the rectangle hook-together situation because I don't have enough room
beside the stove.

wff, The breading rectangles are what I have it mind. The link worked
perfectly. "Round thingies" just won't work for me and this looks
like it can go safely and easily into the dishwasher.
Thanks loads.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
says...
> In article . com>,

says...

> Restaurant Supply store for either new or used Steam table pans. various
> sizes probably a sixth or a quarter size ... can get them square or
> rectangular. Made of steel. can throw into dish machine - terminal
> solution (will outlast you/last ones you will buy - give to kids/grand
> children.)

Such an item probably exists, but it seems like a single-purpose thing
that has no real advantages.

First of all, it is desirable to let breaded fish and other food sit for
a while before frying, to let the breading adhere to the food. So, you
do not need to do this right next to the stove.

As for the mess, spread newspaper and set your flour, egg, and panko
bowls/plates on the paper, no clean-up hassles. When breaded, put on a
rack that is set on a plate or cookie sheet. Then let it rest for 1/2 to
1 hour, in the fridge if the room is warm. Then you are ready to fry.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On May 22, 12:05 pm, Peter A > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > In article . com>,
> > says...

> > Restaurant Supply store for either new or used Steam table pans. various
> > sizes probably a sixth or a quarter size ... can get them square or
> > rectangular. Made of steel. can throw into dish machine - terminal
> > solution (will outlast you/last ones you will buy - give to kids/grand
> > children.)

> Such an item probably exists, but it seems like a single-purpose thing
> that has no real advantages.
>
> First of all, it is desirable to let breaded fish and other food sit for
> a while before frying, to let the breading adhere to the food. So, you
> do not need to do this right next to the stove.
>
> As for the mess, spread newspaper and set your flour, egg, and panko
> bowls/plates on the paper, no clean-up hassles. When breaded, put on a
> rack that is set on a plate or cookie sheet. Then let it rest for 1/2 to
> 1 hour, in the fridge if the room is warm. Then you are ready to fry.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your information, Peter.
I've not had any problems with the breading adhering to the fish, but
I used to, when I was putting too much flour on before I put it into
the egg.

I do do what you say with spreading newspaper, but I use aluminum foil
instead, on either side of the range, when I cook. DH likes to use
seran wrap, but it's too sticky for me.

Thanks, John, LaBella. When I lived in the Seattle area, I had no
problem finding a restaurant supply; not so where Ilive now; but you
have reminded me to look at a place in CT I have shopped. http://www.chefsequip.com/

Dee
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 22 May 2007 20:49:25 -0700, Dee Dee > wrote:

>> > Restaurant Supply store for either new or used Steam table pans. various
>> > sizes probably a sixth or a quarter size ... can get them square or
>> > rectangular. Made of steel. can throw into dish machine - terminal
>> > solution (will outlast you/last ones you will buy - give to kids/grand
>> > children.)

>I do do what you say with spreading newspaper, but I use aluminum foil
>instead, on either side of the range, when I cook. DH likes to use
>seran wrap, but it's too sticky for me.
>
>Thanks, John, LaBella. When I lived in the Seattle area, I had no
>problem finding a restaurant supply; not so where Ilive now; but you
>have reminded me to look at a place in CT I have shopped. http://www.chefsequip.com/

Dee, I think you said that you get inside the Beltway once in a while.
Should you ever be visiting Sur la Table or other stores in Pentagon
City, there's a restaurant supply store about a mile south, in
Alexandria, just off Rte. 1, behind Afghan Restaurant.

There's also Bridge Kitchdenware in NYC, which has just about
everything known to man, and will ship.

I could also take a look in the Rte 1 place for you if there's
anything specific you want, like the steam table pans, and mail it out
from here. We'll be back home next Thirsday night should you want to
do that.

-- Larry