Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Questions regarding Martha Stewart encapsulated aluminum base saucepan

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can offer some advice with the following...

I just bought a stainless steel 2 quart saucepan with a clear
temperred
glass lid, from Kmart. This is a Martha Stewart product. On the bar
code tag, at the top, there is a "MOPS" # which is 0-161728-118. The
bottom of the bar code sticker has a "6" to the left of the bar code,
and then directly under the bar code, the number 936012 842571.

I did not realize the product was made in China until I got it home
and took off the label on the bottom of the pan, which then stated
that the product was made in China. I prefer to buy American whenever
I can.

I also did not realize that the bottom of the pan is made from
encapsulated aluminum. Does this mean that there is a aluminum piece
"sandwiched" between two pieces of stainless steel ? Will my food or
boiling water ever come in contact with aluminum ? Does the stove
burner come in contact with aluminum ? I thought the whole pan was
stainless steel.

I know some people cook with aluminum, but I prefer stainless.

Lastly, can anyone recommend a decent line of stainless steel cookware
that is reasonably priced and made in America ? I don't mind paying a
little more for American made. I did not see anything a Wal-Mart, or
K-
mart, but perhaps I have to go to a specialty cooking store.
Hopefully, I can get what I want from some national chain or major
department store. I don't have much experience with cookware, so I
don't really know where to look. Of course, I know there are better
places than Kmart and Walmart, but that's just where I started
looking.

Thanks for your help.
John

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Apr 19, 12:02 am, John2005 > wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am hoping someone can offer some advice with the following...
>
> I just bought a stainless steel 2 quart saucepan with a clear
> temperred
> glass lid, from Kmart. This is a Martha Stewart product. On the bar
> code tag, at the top, there is a "MOPS" # which is 0-161728-118. The
> bottom of the bar code sticker has a "6" to the left of the bar code,
> and then directly under the bar code, the number 936012 842571.
>
> I did not realize the product was made in China until I got it home
> and took off the label on the bottom of the pan, which then stated
> that the product was made in China. I prefer to buy American whenever
> I can.
>
> I also did not realize that the bottom of the pan is made from
> encapsulated aluminum. Does this mean that there is a aluminum piece
> "sandwiched" between two pieces of stainless steel ? Will my food or
> boiling water ever come in contact with aluminum ? Does the stove
> burner come in contact with aluminum ? I thought the whole pan was
> stainless steel.
>
> I know some people cook with aluminum, but I prefer stainless.
>
> Lastly, can anyone recommend a decent line of stainless steel cookware
> that is reasonably priced and made in America ? I don't mind paying a
> little more for American made. I did not see anything a Wal-Mart, or
> K-
> mart, but perhaps I have to go to a specialty cooking store.
> Hopefully, I can get what I want from some national chain or major
> department store. I don't have much experience with cookware, so I
> don't really know where to look. Of course, I know there are better
> places than Kmart and Walmart, but that's just where I started
> looking.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> John

The best place to look is by googling and getting representative
pricing for like items, and seeing how they are 'put together' and
reading the reviews of the buyers of the items they purchased.

I believe aluminum core is for even heating and is in a lot of
skillets.

Amazon is a good place to read reviews of skillets. The reviews will
differ and possibly become even more of a decision for you. At the
bottom of a lot of Amazon products they sell, they will have the
specifications, most often listed the country where made.

Me, I like pots,pans, skillets made in Italy. Hard to find. There
was a discussion on this group not too long ago about pans be 'sourced
out' to other countries. Perhaps you can find it. But I don't know
that it particularly/actually lists pans made in the U.S.

I find buying on-line gives me a better choice, as I don't live that
close to kitchen stores or kitchen outlets, or restaurant supply
stores (which is a good place to buy a skillet where they may have a
few choices.)

HTH,
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 18 Apr 2007 21:02:19 -0700, John2005 > wrote:

>....I prefer to buy American whenever I can.

Well, you won't be buying much, then, so your savings should grow quickly. 8

>I also did not realize that the bottom of the pan is made from
>encapsulated aluminum. Does this mean that there is a aluminum piece
>"sandwiched" between two pieces of stainless steel ?

Yes.

>Will my food or
>boiling water ever come in contact with aluminum ?

No.

>Does the stove
>burner come in contact with aluminum ?

No.

>I thought the whole pan was stainless steel.
>
>I know some people cook with aluminum, but I prefer stainless.

You won't if you try both straight stainless and clad pans (as the aluminum or
copper sandwich-type are called). Stainless is a relatively poor conductor, and
prone to conducting hot spots straight through to the food. I have never met
anyone who prefers straight stainless pans.

>Lastly, can anyone recommend a decent line of stainless steel cookware
>that is reasonably priced and made in America ? I don't mind paying a
>little more for American made....

I will be interested in any replies -- I seriously doubt that such products
exist. I also doubt, in this era of global trade, that you or anyone else can
backtrack pot and pan production to tell where all stages of production from raw
materials take place. It's the same with cars -- I'd wager that there is not a
single production car made entirely with components made in the US.

I would recommend the Tramontina clad line carried by WalMart. It's made in
South America, though. I have no idea where the steel and aluminum are sourced.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Apr 19, 9:12 am, pltrgyst > wrote:

> I would recommend the Tramontina clad line carried by WalMart. It's made in
> South America, though. I have no idea where the steel and aluminum are sourced.
>
> -- Larry

Larry, I went to WalMart and looked at the Tramontina clad line after
you had mentioned it. It looked like what you mentioned, but was
not. One could get fooled.

The Brazilian Tramontina (5 qt. though) and straight sides which I
bought at Costco for either $27 or $29 is so wonderful (heavy as all
get-out) I cannot say enough about it. In fact, I think if there are
any left I may buy another one in case DH burns this one up -- if that
is even possible. I feel like it is indestructible.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2007 21:02:19 -0700, John2005 > wrote:
>
>> ....I prefer to buy American whenever I can.

> Well, you won't be buying much, then, so your savings should grow quickly. 8
>
>> I also did not realize that the bottom of the pan is made from
>> encapsulated aluminum. Does this mean that there is a aluminum piece
>> "sandwiched" between two pieces of stainless steel ?

> Yes.
>
>> Will my food or
>> boiling water ever come in contact with aluminum ?

> No.
>
>> Does the stove
>> burner come in contact with aluminum ?

> No.
>
>> I thought the whole pan was stainless steel.
>>
>> I know some people cook with aluminum, but I prefer stainless.

> You won't if you try both straight stainless and clad pans (as the aluminum or
> copper sandwich-type are called). Stainless is a relatively poor conductor, and
> prone to conducting hot spots straight through to the food. I have never met
> anyone who prefers straight stainless pans.
>
>> Lastly, can anyone recommend a decent line of stainless steel cookware
>> that is reasonably priced and made in America ? I don't mind paying a
>> little more for American made....

> I will be interested in any replies -- I seriously doubt that such products
> exist. I also doubt, in this era of global trade, that you or anyone else can
> backtrack pot and pan production to tell where all stages of production from raw
> materials take place. It's the same with cars -- I'd wager that there is not a
> single production car made entirely with components made in the US.
>
> I would recommend the Tramontina clad line carried by WalMart. It's made in
> South America, though. I have no idea where the steel and aluminum are sourced.
>
> -- Larry

DO you know why there is a suggestion for all the Tramontina pans to
use on lower temperatures for better results? Why would they say that?
Are they warning you about a pan defect? I know that not all things are
cooked at the highest temps but sometimes it's best and what exactly IS
lower temp? Is this just 'butt-covering'? I've never seen this warning
on the other good cookware I've purchased.

Melondy

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2007 21:02:19 -0700, John2005 > wrote:
>
>> ....I prefer to buy American whenever I can.

> Well, you won't be buying much, then, so your savings should grow quickly. 8
>
>> I also did not realize that the bottom of the pan is made from
>> encapsulated aluminum. Does this mean that there is a aluminum piece
>> "sandwiched" between two pieces of stainless steel ?

> Yes.
>
>> Will my food or
>> boiling water ever come in contact with aluminum ?

> No.
>
>> Does the stove
>> burner come in contact with aluminum ?

> No.
>
>> I thought the whole pan was stainless steel.
>>
>> I know some people cook with aluminum, but I prefer stainless.

> You won't if you try both straight stainless and clad pans (as the aluminum or
> copper sandwich-type are called). Stainless is a relatively poor conductor, and
> prone to conducting hot spots straight through to the food. I have never met
> anyone who prefers straight stainless pans.
>
>> Lastly, can anyone recommend a decent line of stainless steel cookware
>> that is reasonably priced and made in America ? I don't mind paying a
>> little more for American made....

> I will be interested in any replies -- I seriously doubt that such products
> exist. I also doubt, in this era of global trade, that you or anyone else can
> backtrack pot and pan production to tell where all stages of production from raw
> materials take place. It's the same with cars -- I'd wager that there is not a
> single production car made entirely with components made in the US.
>
> I would recommend the Tramontina clad line carried by WalMart. It's made in
> South America, though. I have no idea where the steel and aluminum are sourced.
>
> -- Larry

Sorry, Another question. Is the Tramontina that you see at Walmart the
same exact quality being sold at other places? Do they have a lower,
cheaper grade for Wallyworld?

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Apr 19, 9:50 am, Melondy > wrote:
> pltrgyst wrote:
> > On 18 Apr 2007 21:02:19 -0700, John2005 > wrote:

> >> ....I prefer to buy American whenever I can.

> > Well, you won't be buying much, then, so your savings should grow quickly. 8

> >> I also did not realize that the bottom of the pan is made from
> >> encapsulated aluminum. Does this mean that there is a aluminum piece
> >> "sandwiched" between two pieces of stainless steel ?

> > Yes.

> >> Will my food or
> >> boiling water ever come in contact with aluminum ?

> > No.

> >> Does the stove
> >> burner come in contact with aluminum ?

> > No.

> >> I thought the whole pan was stainless steel.

> >> I know some people cook with aluminum, but I prefer stainless.

> > You won't if you try both straight stainless and clad pans (as the aluminum or
> > copper sandwich-type are called). Stainless is a relatively poor conductor, and
> > prone to conducting hot spots straight through to the food. I have never met
> > anyone who prefers straight stainless pans.

> >> Lastly, can anyone recommend a decent line of stainless steel cookware
> >> that is reasonably priced and made in America ? I don't mind paying a
> >> little more for American made....

> > I will be interested in any replies -- I seriously doubt that such products
> > exist. I also doubt, in this era of global trade, that you or anyone else can
> > backtrack pot and pan production to tell where all stages of production from raw
> > materials take place. It's the same with cars -- I'd wager that there is not a
> > single production car made entirely with components made in the US.

> > I would recommend the Tramontina clad line carried by WalMart. It's made in
> > South America, though. I have no idea where the steel and aluminum are sourced.

> > -- Larry

> DO you know why there is a suggestion for all the Tramontina pans to
> use on lower temperatures for better results? Why would they say that?
> Are they warning you about a pan defect? I know that not all things are
> cooked at the highest temps but sometimes it's best and what exactly IS
> lower temp? Is this just 'butt-covering'? I've never seen this warning
> on the other good cookware I've purchased.
>
> Melondy- Hide quoted text -

I think I've seen this question before, but I don't know anything
about Tramontina pans really except I've seen them before and thought
they were not very exceptional. I believe I've even passed up
Tramontina pans in Costco for this very thought/reason. I can't go
back and reconstruct whether I looked at where they were made or how
they were constructed; i.e. clad.

After seeing the skillets sold at my local Walmart, I would have to
logically conclude that there must be different quality of Tramontina,
as well as different Tramontina skillets must be sold at different
Walmart.

But, in the long run, even though I did buy sight-unseen/without ever
examining personally an Emeril skillet, I would not buy the particular
one again (although others do like it) because it is not the pan I
thought it would be. Maybe it is the same situation as Walmart,
different quality for different stores.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:50:33 GMT, Melondy > wrote:

> DO you know why there is a suggestion for all the Tramontina pans to
>use on lower temperatures for better results? Why would they say that?
>Are they warning you about a pan defect? I know that not all things are
>cooked at the highest temps but sometimes it's best and what exactly IS
>lower temp? Is this just 'butt-covering'? I've never seen this warning
>on the other good cookware I've purchased.

From www.tramontina-usa.com:

------------------
"Why is food sticking or burning in my Tramontina 18/10 stainless steel cookware
with the tri-ply bottom?

Tramontina's stainless steel cookware should be used with low to medium heat
only, and the pan should be preheated on low to medium heat before adding food.
The use of high heat with Tramontina’s 18/10 stainless steel cookware,
especially while using the cookware to fry, brown or sauté, will cause foods to
burn and stick to the cookware.

Each piece of Tramontina's stainless steel cookware contains a pure aluminum
core. When high heat is used to begin the cooking process, the aluminum core
heats up very quickly and remains hot, even if the temperature is reduced once
the pan has heated up. So, if food is added to the pan while the aluminum core
is very hot, the food will definitely scorch or stick."
------------------

Of course, that is, to some extent, bull. The temperature of the cooking surface
is all that matters.

But I have to say that my Tramontina saute pans, which I've had for about ten
years, do require less heat than any other pans I own. On my GE Profile glass
top large burner, I wind up cooking most items at settings from one to five out
of ten, never higher. Of course, I do almost all my searing in cast iron, which
requires settings from eight up.

Also, my pans don't seem to be made any more. The new line is very much All
Clad-like in styling. My saute pans are very straight-sided, with square
shoulders; the handles are welded on, and made from sheet steel is a square
form. I'll try to post a picture of them when I get home. I would wager that
their aluminum disk is much thicker than the 0.8mm claimed on the Tramontina Web
site for the current products.

Oh, and yes, as I have stated many times before, Tramontina has always made
several lines at different quality levels. I've seen a lot of their products
that I wouldn't want at all -- more like 1960s Revere Ware than a currently
competitive products.

But their All Clad look-alikes, which I fondled in Wal Mart, look really good to
me. And the specs and prices at this site seem pretty good :

http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/shopping_cart/sspots.html

I have no personal experience with them, though.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"John2005" > wrote in message

> I did not realize the product was made in China until I got it home
> and took off the label on the bottom of the pan, which then stated
> that the product was made in China. I prefer to buy American whenever
> I can.

All Clad still makes some of their stuff in the US, but most cookware is
imported. Al Clad would be ver expensive for the equvilent item, maybe 10x
what you paid.

> I also did not realize that the bottom of the pan is made from
> encapsulated aluminum. Does this mean that there is a aluminum piece
> "sandwiched" between two pieces of stainless steel ? Will my food or
> boiling water ever come in contact with aluminum ? Does the stove
> burner come in contact with aluminum ? I thought the whole pan was
> stainless steel.

Any decent cookware will be aluminum clad or tri-clad with SS on the
outside, alumiumum inside. It is superior to plain stainless.

> I know some people cook with aluminum, but I prefer stainless.

I bet you really don't.

> Lastly, can anyone recommend a decent line of stainless steel cookware
> that is reasonably priced and made in America ?

Last one was Faberware made in Brookly but they moved out about 15 years
ago. Or Revereware and they shut down about 20+ years ago. You're too late
for anything US made.

I don't mind paying a
> little more for American made. I did not see anything a Wal-Mart, or
> K-
> mart, but perhaps I have to go to a specialty cooking store.

As I said, some, but not all All Clad is made in the US, but yo won't find
that at the discount stores. This one is $140 for the 2 quart.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...?pkey=cCKWACSB I
don't know the origin though.

> Hopefully, I can get what I want from some national chain or major
> department store. I don't have much experience with cookware, so I
> don't really know where to look. Of course, I know there are better
> places than Kmart and Walmart, but that's just where I started
> looking.

That Martha stuff is really pretty good for the money.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Melondy" > wrote in message
> DO you know why there is a suggestion for all the Tramontina pans to use
> on lower temperatures for better results? Why would they say that? Are
> they warning you about a pan defect? I know that not all things are cooked
> at the highest temps but sometimes it's best and what exactly IS lower
> temp? Is this just 'butt-covering'? I've never seen this warning on the
> other good cookware I've purchased.
>
> Melondy

Most people don't know how to cook with very high heat. Little room for
distraction when you do. Lower heat avoids a lot of burning, hot spots, and
warpage to the pan if let to go dry.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies.

I'll check around and see what I can turn up. I'm glad to hear the
aluminum is sandwiched between the stainless steel on this pot, I
don't know if it's ever been proven that cooking with aluminum is a
health concern, & I doubt much could get into your body that way, but
I figured better safe than sorry. Since the aluminum is sandwiched
between the stainless steel, no worries.

John

Posted to rec.food.equipment

John2005 wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies.
>
> I'll check around and see what I can turn up. I'm glad to hear the
> aluminum is sandwiched between the stainless steel on this pot, I
> don't know if it's ever been proven that cooking with aluminum is a
> health concern, & I doubt much could get into your body that way, but
> I figured better safe than sorry. Since the aluminum is sandwiched
> between the stainless steel, no worries.

There are no health issues with aluminum cookware; the alzheimer connection
has long since been debunked.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Posted to rec.food.equipment

John2005 wrote:
> Lastly, can anyone recommend a decent line of stainless steel cookware
> that is reasonably priced and made in America ?

Try Vollrath - at your local resteraunt supply store. Their Intrigue line
is all SS, and their Tribute line is tri-ply (SS, Al, SS). Reasonably priced
too.

W.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Apr 19, 3:58 pm, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:50:33 GMT, Melondy > wrote:
> > DO you know why there is a suggestion for all the Tramontina pans to
> >use on lower temperatures for better results? Why would they say that?
> >Are they warning you about a pan defect? I know that not all things are
> >cooked at the highest temps but sometimes it's best and what exactly IS
> >lower temp? Is this just 'butt-covering'? I've never seen this warning
> >on the other good cookware I've purchased.

> Fromwww.tramontina-usa.com:
>
> ------------------
> "Why is food sticking or burning in my Tramontina 18/10 stainless steel cookware
> with the tri-ply bottom?
>
> Tramontina's stainless steel cookware should be used with low to medium heat
> only, and the pan should be preheated on low to medium heat before adding food.
> The use of high heat with Tramontina's 18/10 stainless steel cookware,
> especially while using the cookware to fry, brown or sauté, will cause foods to
> burn and stick to the cookware.
>
> Each piece of Tramontina's stainless steel cookware contains a pure aluminum
> core. When high heat is used to begin the cooking process, the aluminum core
> heats up very quickly and remains hot, even if the temperature is reduced once
> the pan has heated up. So, if food is added to the pan while the aluminum core
> is very hot, the food will definitely scorch or stick."
> ------------------
>
> Of course, that is, to some extent, bull. The temperature of the cooking surface
> is all that matters.
>
> But I have to say that my Tramontina saute pans, which I've had for about ten
> years, do require less heat than any other pans I own. On my GE Profile glass
> top large burner, I wind up cooking most items at settings from one to five out
> of ten, never higher. Of course, I do almost all my searing in cast iron, which
> requires settings from eight up.
>
> Also, my pans don't seem to be made any more. The new line is very much All
> Clad-like in styling. My saute pans are very straight-sided, with square
> shoulders; the handles are welded on, and made from sheet steel is a square
> form. I'll try to post a picture of them when I get home. I would wager that
> their aluminum disk is much thicker than the 0.8mm claimed on the Tramontina Web
> site for the current products.
>
> Oh, and yes, as I have stated many times before, Tramontina has always made
> several lines at different quality levels. I've seen a lot of their products
> that I wouldn't want at all -- more like 1960s Revere Ware than a currently
> competitive products.
>
> But their All Clad look-alikes, which I fondled in Wal Mart, look really good to
> me. And the specs and prices at this site seem pretty good :
>
> http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/shopping_cart/sspots.html
>
> I have no personal experience with them, though.
>
> -- Larry

The look of that stuff is almost exactly that of the set I got at
Costco about six months ago. The stuff has been working fantastic,
cleans up without much problem, and really does do a heck of a job
holding in heat. In the apartment I currently live in I have a gas
stovetop, but it has issues maintaining a flame set on anything lower
than medium (makes cooking rice a royal headache), and I've noticed a
bit more burning on these pots on higher temperatures than ones I had
used while living at home with my parents.

Costco's also a great place to buy this stuff, since if you're ever
dissatisfied for any reason they'll take the item back, and since this
is branded Kirkland there won't be any worry about if you bought it
elsewhere.

-Scott