Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Making Peanut (cashew) Butter - looking for a way

I have food allergies and I am allergic to peanuts. For that reason I make
my own cashew butter. I know you can buy it but it is always really oily and
just does not taste as good as that I make myself. Here is my problem, I
have nearly burned up my high quality blender making this nut butter. I
sometimes use my mini food processor, but I am also waiting for that to give
up doing it one of these days. The blender gets overheated and I took it
apart to look because I found shreds of melted plastic that came off the
motor housing. I pulse it on and off making it, but find I have to add too
much oil to have it run smoothly.

A health food store I go to had a machine they called a peanut butter
machine, but when I looked at it I was disappointed to find it was just a
blender too. Can you shop for blenders by horsepower? Do I just need
something with a more powerful motor?

I was hoping there might be something that would work better? I have been
wondering if any of the available attachments for my Kitchenaid mixer might
do it? Don't know what, I just know it is made for heavy jobs.

Would a food processor be a better choice? I use a pound of cashews each
time I make it.

I will probably be making this for the rest of my life and I need to find
something that has adequate power and staying power to cream the cashews.
Is there something else out there that I don't know about that would
accomplish this? Suggestions welcome.

Thank you,

Autumn

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >, Autumn > wrote:

> I have food allergies and I am allergic to peanuts. For that reason I make
> my own cashew butter. I know you can buy it but it is always really oily and
> just does not taste as good as that I make myself. Here is my problem, I
> have nearly burned up my high quality blender making this nut butter. I
> sometimes use my mini food processor, but I am also waiting for that to give
> up doing it one of these days. The blender gets overheated and I took it
> apart to look because I found shreds of melted plastic that came off the
> motor housing. I pulse it on and off making it, but find I have to add too
> much oil to have it run smoothly.
>
> A health food store I go to had a machine they called a peanut butter
> machine, but when I looked at it I was disappointed to find it was just a
> blender too. Can you shop for blenders by horsepower? Do I just need
> something with a more powerful motor?
>
> I was hoping there might be something that would work better? I have been
> wondering if any of the available attachments for my Kitchenaid mixer might
> do it? Don't know what, I just know it is made for heavy jobs.
>
> Would a food processor be a better choice? I use a pound of cashews each
> time I make it.
>
> I will probably be making this for the rest of my life and I need to find
> something that has adequate power and staying power to cream the cashews.
> Is there something else out there that I don't know about that would
> accomplish this? Suggestions welcome.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Autumn

actually making nut butters is easily done in a food processor.
some roasted cashews (if you can get unsalted if not use salted)
salt and a little nut oil (walnut oil) and honey drizzled in while
the processor is working. If unsalted then add salt to taste.
No need to over process. Fresh nut butters do not have stabilizers
added so they will tend to separate slightly. Do not make more than
you can use in a 48 hour period. Always tastes best fresh made.

For small batches use a smaller processor such as 3 cup or 5 cup.
Kitchen-Aid makes a very nice 5 cup but there are many other
makes and models. But do not get a 12 cup model if you only
intend to make 1 or 2 cups. Get a processor that is roughly twice as
big as what you intend to make. If you want to make 2 cups then
get 5 cup model. If you want to make 3 cups then get 7 cup model.
I would suggest you make 1 or 2 cups at a time (for personal use
unless you are making a lot commercially or for a large family or crowd).
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Autumn" > wrote in message

> I was hoping there might be something that would work better? I have been
> wondering if any of the available attachments for my Kitchenaid mixer
> might do it? Don't know what, I just know it is made for heavy jobs.
>
> Would a food processor be a better choice? I use a pound of cashews each
> time I make it.

I love cashew butter. I use the Cuisinart food processor. It has enough
power and never struggles.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Edwin Pawlowski said...

> "Autumn" > wrote in message
>>
>> I was hoping there might be something that would work better? I have been
>> wondering if any of the available attachments for my Kitchenaid mixer
>> might do it? Don't know what, I just know it is made for heavy jobs.
>>
>> Would a food processor be a better choice? I use a pound of cashews each
>> time I make it.

> I love cashew butter. I use the Cuisinart food processor. It has enough
> power and never struggles.

Cashews are my favorite nut. I must try a small batch.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Apr 16, 9:25 pm, "Autumn" > wrote:
> I have food allergies and I am allergic to peanuts. For that reason I make
> my own cashew butter. I know you can buy it but it is always really oily and
> just does not taste as good as that I make myself. Here is my problem, I
> have nearly burned up my high quality blender making this nut butter. I
> sometimes use my mini food processor, but I am also waiting for that to give
> up doing it one of these days. The blender gets overheated and I took it
> apart to look because I found shreds of melted plastic that came off the
> motor housing. I pulse it on and off making it, but find I have to add too
> much oil to have it run smoothly.
>
> A health food store I go to had a machine they called a peanut butter
> machine, but when I looked at it I was disappointed to find it was just a
> blender too. Can you shop for blenders by horsepower? Do I just need
> something with a more powerful motor?
>
> I was hoping there might be something that would work better? I have been
> wondering if any of the available attachments for my Kitchenaid mixer might
> do it? Don't know what, I just know it is made for heavy jobs.
>
> Would a food processor be a better choice? I use a pound of cashews each
> time I make it.
>
> I will probably be making this for the rest of my life and I need to find
> something that has adequate power and staying power to cream the cashews.
> Is there something else out there that I don't know about that would
> accomplish this? Suggestions welcome.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Autumn

Well, it's not quite nuts, but I figure golf balls are close enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC8Zvl-8ziA

-Scott

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Apr 16, 9:25 pm, "Autumn" > wrote:
> I have food allergies and I am allergic to peanuts. For that reason I make
> my own cashew butter. I know you can buy it but it is always really oily and
> just does not taste as good as that I make myself. Here is my problem, I
> have nearly burned up my high quality blender making this nut butter. I
> sometimes use my mini food processor, but I am also waiting for that to give
> up doing it one of these days. The blender gets overheated and I took it
> apart to look because I found shreds of melted plastic that came off the
> motor housing. I pulse it on and off making it, but find I have to add too
> much oil to have it run smoothly.
>
> A health food store I go to had a machine they called a peanut butter
> machine, but when I looked at it I was disappointed to find it was just a
> blender too. Can you shop for blenders by horsepower? Do I just need
> something with a more powerful motor?
>
> I was hoping there might be something that would work better? I have been
> wondering if any of the available attachments for my Kitchenaid mixer might
> do it? Don't know what, I just know it is made for heavy jobs.
>
> Would a food processor be a better choice? I use a pound of cashews each
> time I make it.
>
> I will probably be making this for the rest of my life and I need to find
> something that has adequate power and staying power to cream the cashews.
> Is there something else out there that I don't know about that would
> accomplish this? Suggestions welcome.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Autumn

Well, it's not quite nuts, but I figure golf balls are close enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC8Zvl-8ziA

-Scott

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Apr 16, 8:25 pm, "Autumn" > wrote:
> I have food allergies and I am allergic to peanuts. For that reason I make
> my own cashew butter. I know you can buy it but it is always really oily and
> just does not taste as good as that I make myself. Here is my problem, I
> have nearly burned up my high quality blender making this nut butter. I
> sometimes use my mini food processor, but I am also waiting for that to give
> up doing it one of these days. The blender gets overheated and I took it
> apart to look because I found shreds of melted plastic that came off the
> motor housing. I pulse it on and off making it, but find I have to add too
> much oil to have it run smoothly.
>
> A health food store I go to had a machine they called a peanut butter
> machine, but when I looked at it I was disappointed to find it was just a
> blender too. Can you shop for blenders by horsepower? Do I just need
> something with a more powerful motor?
>
> I was hoping there might be something that would work better? I have been
> wondering if any of the available attachments for my Kitchenaid mixer might
> do it? Don't know what, I just know it is made for heavy jobs.
>
> Would a food processor be a better choice? I use a pound of cashews each
> time I make it.
>
> I will probably be making this for the rest of my life and I need to find
> something that has adequate power and staying power to cream the cashews.
> Is there something else out there that I don't know about that would
> accomplish this? Suggestions welcome.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Autumn

I use a KA 670 watt food processor, doesn't miss a beat in terms of
power. The butters include peanut, pecan, and cashew. Am also into
the habit of adding some vanilla extract, real maple syrup, and a
decent oil. Some toasted pecans ground into the peanut butter give it
a nice complexity. About 2 minutes to make a pound.
Pierre

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I have been looking around reading a lot and finally settled on purchasing a
Girmi food processor. It is 550 watts and so far I am mostly pleased with
it. I just don't like cleaning it, as it has a soft lower bowl and a
complicated lid. It is ran by pushing down the lid. Cleaning it in the
dishwasher works, but often I hand wash since there are just two of us.

I have been amazed at how fast this machine turns the cashews into a fine
nut butter and I only need to add a little bit of oil to get it moving. I do
wish there were holes in the lid though, so I could add the oil that way. I
can do that with my mini food processor and my blender. I never tried my
food processor, it is an attachment that fits on my blender, so I don't know
if it would have any more power than the blender. For now I am pleased with
the results of this food processor. I may try something else in the future,
but I am pleased to be able to make cashew butter without smelling my
machine burning up!

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

Autumn