Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Discolored Cups - from Rust?

Several weeks ago I noticed a "Joe Muggs" mug (BIA Cordon Bleu) - love
them - they don't make them anymore --
http://images.booksamillion.com/joe/images/13.jpg

It came out of the dishwasher with a faint mauve/brown color around the
rim and then looked like watercolor painting drippings down over the
cup. I thought that this cup had been washed too many times and had
just given up and the color was done for. I have used one of these
cups each day of 4 or 5 that I have. I didn't notice until a few weeks
later after washing the rest of them in one washload that ALL of them
had this same rain-dripping lines down the side and around the lip. It
was the same mauve/brown color. I assumed that the cups had reached
their peak in usage and put them in a basket downstairs/storage
thinking I'd ponder it awhile.

Then just this last week, on a porcelain cup (good quality - bought in
Japan and beloved) that is used almost daily for 20 years, I took it
out of the dishwasher and found this same pattern of color-streaking
down the side and arond the rim. Ah Ha! The problem lies not with the
quality of the Joe Muggs cups, but something about the dishwasher.

As any who know my dishwasher problems which I finally decided had been
nothing more than overuse of soap, I couldn't imagine getting into this
again -- particularly when I just saw a posting about how much
dishwashers cost -- I think I will stick to Costco for dishwashers'
pricing.

But looking into the top rack of my dishwasher, I find rusted out areas
alongside the right side of the rack, not on the prongs, but possibly
where the cups have leaned up against. First on agenda, buy a new
rack, which probably will be a good fraction/percentage of the cost of
a new Costco dishwasher -- be that as it may ...

First question.
I want to clean up my cups, non-toxically. And I don't want to ruin
them as I'm quite fond of them all. The porcelain had been pretty and
shiny, up to that point.
Thanks for reading all the above if you did; sorry to be so
long-winded.

Any comments on what to use.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dee wrote:
> Several weeks ago I noticed a "Joe Muggs" mug (BIA Cordon Bleu) - love
> them - they don't make them anymore --
> http://images.booksamillion.com/joe/images/13.jpg
>
> It came out of the dishwasher with a faint mauve/brown color around the
> rim and then looked like watercolor painting drippings down over the
> cup. I thought that this cup had been washed too many times and had
> just given up and the color was done for. I have used one of these
> cups each day of 4 or 5 that I have. I didn't notice until a few weeks
> later after washing the rest of them in one washload that ALL of them
> had this same rain-dripping lines down the side and around the lip. It
> was the same mauve/brown color. I assumed that the cups had reached
> their peak in usage and put them in a basket downstairs/storage
> thinking I'd ponder it awhile.
>
> Then just this last week, on a porcelain cup (good quality - bought in
> Japan and beloved) that is used almost daily for 20 years, I took it
> out of the dishwasher and found this same pattern of color-streaking
> down the side and arond the rim. Ah Ha! The problem lies not with the
> quality of the Joe Muggs cups, but something about the dishwasher.
>
> As any who know my dishwasher problems which I finally decided had been
> nothing more than overuse of soap, I couldn't imagine getting into this
> again -- particularly when I just saw a posting about how much
> dishwashers cost -- I think I will stick to Costco for dishwashers'
> pricing.
>
> But looking into the top rack of my dishwasher, I find rusted out areas
> alongside the right side of the rack, not on the prongs, but possibly
> where the cups have leaned up against. First on agenda, buy a new
> rack, which probably will be a good fraction/percentage of the cost of
> a new Costco dishwasher -- be that as it may ...
>

> First question.
> I want to clean up my cups, non-toxically. And I don't want to ruin
> them as I'm quite fond of them all. The porcelain had been pretty and
> shiny, up to that point.
> Thanks for reading all the above if you did; sorry to be so
> long-winded.
>
> Any comments on what to use.
>
> Dee

They sell rust remover chemicals in the bathroom cleaning products
section. This is a common problem for those with iron in their well
water. They don't harm sinks or other fixtures so your cups ought to be
fine.

del

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Jan 26, 2:09 pm, yetanotherBob > wrote:
> In article . com>,
> says...> First question.
> > I want to clean up my cups, non-toxically. And I don't want to ruin
> > them as I'm quite fond of them all. The porcelain had been pretty and
> > shiny, up to that point.
> > Thanks for reading all the above if you did; sorry to be so
> > long-winded.

> > Any comments on what to use.

> > DeeWe had the same thing happen with our old KitchenAid dishwasher. When

> you see what a replacement rack costs, you may re-think the repair vs.
> replace equation. Of course, ours was also showing other signs of age,
> which made buying a new rack seem more like throwing money away.
>
> On the stains, I've never tried it on ceramics, but lemon juice will
> definitely get rust stains out of fabric. I wouldn't think it would
> hurt to try it on your cups.
>
> Bob

Thanks, Bob -- lemon didn't touch it -- I let one of each cups soak in
lemon, and also applied a little massage using a safe scrubber with
lemon again.

Del,
I will have to look into the rust removers. Thanks.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> On Jan 26, 2:09 pm, yetanotherBob > wrote:
>> In article . com>,
>> says...> First question.
>> > I want to clean up my cups, non-toxically. And I don't want to ruin
>> > them as I'm quite fond of them all. The porcelain had been pretty
>> > and
>> > shiny, up to that point.
>> > Thanks for reading all the above if you did; sorry to be so
>> > long-winded.

>> > Any comments on what to use.

>> > DeeWe had the same thing happen with our old KitchenAid dishwasher.
>> > When

>> you see what a replacement rack costs, you may re-think the repair vs.
>> replace equation. Of course, ours was also showing other signs of
>> age,
>> which made buying a new rack seem more like throwing money away.
>>
>> On the stains, I've never tried it on ceramics, but lemon juice will
>> definitely get rust stains out of fabric. I wouldn't think it would
>> hurt to try it on your cups.
>>
>> Bob

> Thanks, Bob -- lemon didn't touch it -- I let one of each cups soak in
> lemon, and also applied a little massage using a safe scrubber with
> lemon again.
>
> Del,
> I will have to look into the rust removers. Thanks.
> Dee

I happened to have one brand "Super Iron Out Liquid" Rust stain remover
under the sink in the bathroom.

Contains ammonium biflouride, oxalic acid, and potassium hydroxide

"use only with rubber gloves" "harmful if swallowed" "may cause severe
burns"
"try in inconspicuous area first"

del

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> But looking into the top rack of my dishwasher, I find rusted out areas
> alongside the right side of the rack, not on the prongs, but possibly
> where the cups have leaned up against. First on agenda, buy a new
> rack, which probably will be a good fraction/percentage of the cost of
> a new Costco dishwasher -- be that as it may ...

You might as well buy both the upper and the lower racks at the same time,
like changing tires, if one goes so well the other - expensive. See if the
appliance parts house has a repair kit like a paint on epoxy or some such,
but it only buy you some time before you need to decide to replace those
racks or buy a new washer.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> > Del,
> > I will have to look into the rust removers. Thanks.
> > DeeI happened to have one brand "Super Iron Out Liquid" Rust stain remover

> under the sink in the bathroom.
>
> Contains ammonium biflouride, oxalic acid, and potassium hydroxide
>
> "use only with rubber gloves" "harmful if swallowed" "may cause severe
> burns"
> "try in inconspicuous area first"

Thanks.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Jan 27, 9:22 am, "# Fred #" > wrote:
> > But looking into the top rack of my dishwasher, I find rusted out areas
> > alongside the right side of the rack, not on the prongs, but possibly
> > where the cups have leaned up against. First on agenda, buy a new
> > rack, which probably will be a good fraction/percentage of the cost of
> > a new Costco dishwasher -- be that as it may ...You might as well buy both the upper and the lower racks at the same time,

> like changing tires, if one goes so well the other - expensive. See if the
> appliance parts house has a repair kit like a paint on epoxy or some such,
> but it only buy you some time before you need to decide to replace those
> racks or buy a new washer.

I tried the kit on the last dishwasher. I did look it up this time
and see that it includes some prongs which seems to always be needed.
I see that I bought the current dishwasher Feb 2001. You're right
(and I am, too) that replacing the racks is expensive and goes toward
the price of a new dishwasher. I suggested to DH that we buy a new
dishwasher. He said, If we do, then we'll just have to replace the
racks then in 6 years." So we researched on CR and online and came up
with a new dishwasher that has a ss front that seems to fulfill my
every wish! SS will 'match' the new ss slide-in I bought a couple of
months ago.

Rust is my friend.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> First question.
> I want to clean up my cups, non-toxically. And I don't want to ruin
> them as I'm quite fond of them all. The porcelain had been pretty and
> shiny, up to that point.
> Thanks for reading all the above if you did; sorry to be so
> long-winded.
>
> Any comments on what to use.
>
> Dee

White vinegar, a mild acid, will dissolve surface rust overnight.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Jan 28, 9:14 pm, "Jack" > wrote:
> > First question.
> > I want to clean up my cups, non-toxically. And I don't want to ruin
> > them as I'm quite fond of them all. The porcelain had been pretty and
> > shiny, up to that point.
> > Thanks for reading all the above if you did; sorry to be so
> > long-winded.

> > Any comments on what to use.

> > Dee

> White vinegar, a mild acid, will dissolve surface rust overnight.

Thanks, Jack. I soaked one cup overnight in vinegar. It didn't touch
it. Perhaps it is baked on from the heat of the dishwasher.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Jan 28, 9:14 pm, "Jack" > wrote:
>> > First question.
>> > I want to clean up my cups, non-toxically. And I don't want to ruin
>> > them as I'm quite fond of them all. The porcelain had been pretty
>> > and
>> > shiny, up to that point.
>> > Thanks for reading all the above if you did; sorry to be so
>> > long-winded.

>> > Any comments on what to use.

>> > Dee

>> White vinegar, a mild acid, will dissolve surface rust overnight.

> Thanks, Jack. I soaked one cup overnight in vinegar. It didn't touch
> it. Perhaps it is baked on from the heat of the dishwasher.
> Dee

Another thing to try is barkeeper's friend. careful with the rubbing at
first.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Jan 28, 9:14 pm, "Jack" > wrote:
>> > First question.
>> > I want to clean up my cups, non-toxically. And I don't want to ruin
>> > them as I'm quite fond of them all. The porcelain had been pretty and
>> > shiny, up to that point.
>> > Thanks for reading all the above if you did; sorry to be so
>> > long-winded.

>> > Any comments on what to use.

>> > Dee

>> White vinegar, a mild acid, will dissolve surface rust overnight.

> Thanks, Jack. I soaked one cup overnight in vinegar. It didn't touch
> it. Perhaps it is baked on from the heat of the dishwasher.
> Dee

Looks like you've got a tough one, this might help:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&btnG=S earch

Discolored wine DaleW Wine 7 07-06-2011 02:43 PM
Discolored wine aesthete8 Wine 6 06-06-2011 07:27 PM
Discolored cookware Mark Shaw General Cooking 3 27-02-2006 06:05 PM
rust question elaine General Cooking 16 18-02-2006 06:14 AM
Discolored High-Carbon Steel? [email protected] General Cooking 4 27-02-2004 01:51 AM