Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default Chocolate and caffeine

I love the taste of chocolate, but can't tolerate the caffeine. Is
there any one who knows of a type of chocolate that has little to no
caffeine?

White chocolate doesn't have caffeine but isn't a chocolate
either--it's almond butter.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Janet Puistonen wrote:

> White chocolate may not technically be "chocolate," but it certainly isn't
> almond butter.

I believe it is cocoa butter, or at least based on it.

--
- Cassandra J. Nichols
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

"Cassandra J. Nichols" > wrote in message
> Janet Puistonen wrote:
>
>> White chocolate may not technically be "chocolate," but it certainly
>> isn't almond butter.

> I believe it is cocoa butter, or at least based on it.

"White Chocolate" is composed of :

Cocoa Butter (the fat from the cocoa bean)
Milk (Powdered, flake, crumb, or other form)
Sugar
Vanilla
Soy lechithin

The cocoa bean is approximately 53% fat though I was examining some only two
weeks ago in a fermentation house in Mexico that had been analyzed to be 57%
cocoa butter. The ground beans are squeezed in a hydraulic press expelling
the cocoa butter and leaving behind a cake of cocoa solids which is then
ground into cocoa powder.

The milk is generally dry when it is added. This can be in the form of
crumb, powdered, or flake. You can add wet milk to it (or to regular
chocolate) to make milk chocolate but it take longer to process since you
have to dry it all out again.

Sugar .... Well, sugar is sugar mostly (as long as it isn't beet sugar yada
yada.)

Soy Lechithin -- an emulsifier to make it all flow, mold, and handle more
easily. This is really optional but many manufacturers add it so that they
don't have to use so much cocoa butter.

That's about it as far as the ingredients for white chocolate.

Hope this helps,

-Art

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

The caffeine angle was a big surprise to me! The other night I was
reading in bed before lights out and I thought: mmmmm wouldnt a bit of
chocolate be real good right now. So I opened a tiny bar (50 gr.) of
Trader Joe's Dark Belgian Chocolate and slurped it down while reading
Julia's last book: My Life in France. I passed out around midnight
and boom: 2 am and my eyes were wide open. It was the chocolate!!!!!
Never ever again. Even though....

wrote:
> I love the taste of chocolate, but can't tolerate the caffeine. Is
> there any one who knows of a type of chocolate that has little to no
> caffeine?
>
> White chocolate doesn't have caffeine but isn't a chocolate
> either--it's almond butter.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Chocolate doesn't generally contain any caffeine. If it does, it was likely
added in manufacture.

Theobroma (chocolate) contains theobromine as it's principle alkaloid -- as
opposed to coffee, which contains caffeine.

wrote:

> I love the taste of chocolate, but can't tolerate the caffeine. Is
> there any one who knows of a type of chocolate that has little to no
> caffeine?
>
> White chocolate doesn't have caffeine but isn't a chocolate
> either--it's almond butter.

Caffeine and someone who should know better Alan Tea 16 04-03-2008 07:27 AM
Chocolate has NO APPRECIABLE Caffeine - (C'mon People !!) [email protected] Chocolate 0 04-11-2007 07:57 AM
Low caffeine _D Tea 2 27-03-2006 01:35 AM
How much caffeine in Pu-er? Robert Dunbar Tea 16 01-11-2004 01:02 PM
Caffeine-free chocolate K C General Cooking 13 11-04-2004 12:51 AM