Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default Dark chololate & saturated fat

I have been reading that dark chocolate is a healthy food because
it has lots of flavinoids and antioxidants, but (in contrast to
milk chocolate) not much of the downside of dairy products. However
looking at the labels of various dark chocolates, the saturated fat
content is huge! How can that be healthy?

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Merlin Dorfman wrote:

> I have been reading that dark chocolate is a healthy food
> because it has lots of flavinoids and antioxidants, but
> (in contrast to milk chocolate) not much of the downside of
> dairy products. However looking at the labels of various
> dark chocolates, the saturated fat content is huge!
> How can that be healthy?

Quoting from:
http://www.candyusa.org/Media/Nutrit...holesterol.asp

Research Shows "Chocolate Does Not Raise Cholesterol:
" Stearic Acid Called "A Unique Saturated Fat"

Milk Chocolate in the diet, even when consumed
on a daily basis over a long period of
time, does not raise blood cholesterol levels
in healthy young men, according to the
Southwestern University Medical Center in Dallas.

"This finding is exciting because it confirms past
studies that stearic acid, the predominant
saturated fat in milk chocolate, is a unique
saturated fatty acid," said Dr. Penny
Kris-Etherton of The Pennsylvania State
University (PSU), principle researcher of three
studies on the subject. "We knew that stearic
acid is different from other saturated fats,
because it has a neutral effect on blood
cholesterol levels. Now we've taken this research
a step further and applied it to a popular food
product, chocolate." Cocoa butter, a large
component of chocolate, is rich in stearic acid.

Kris-Etherton's study on 15 young men at
PSU is the first to examine the relationship
between high levels of milk chocolate
consumption and blood cholesterol levels. "All of
the participants in the study ate diets very high
in different forms of saturated fat," said
Kris-Etherton. "Only those who consumed
saturated fat in the form of milk chocolate did
not see a significant increase in the blood
cholesterol level."

In the PSU study, participants consumed
varied combinations of saturated fatty acids, in
higher quantities (20 percent of total calories)
than they normally eat. Those whose
saturated fats came from the stearic acid
in milk chocolate were the only group to show a
neutral effect on the blood cholesterol level.

"Not surprisingly, those students who consume
butter alone as a source of saturated fat
had an increase in their cholesterol levels,"
said Kris-Etherton. "But we were interested
and pleased to see that consuming milk
chocolate, which contains cocoa butter along with
a small amount of milk fat, did not raise the
blood cholesterol."

Other research supports Kris-Etherton's
findings. According to Dr. Scott Grundy, Ph.D.,
Director of the Center for Human Nutrition
at the University of Texas, "We used to think
that all kinds of saturated fat raised the
cholesterol level, but now we know that there
are several types of saturated fats, and they
don't all act the same. Our research has shown
that stearic acid simply doesn't increase the
cholesterol level in blood the same way that
other types of saturated fats do."

Nutritionists recommend that milk chocolate
be eaten in moderation, but say that there
is no reason that it cannot be included in
a diet to control blood cholesterol. "There
are no good foods and no bad foods, but rather
there are good diets and bad diets," said
Kris-Etherton. "When consumers pick up
a milk chocolate bar and see on the nutrition
label that it contains saturated fat, they need
to remember that not all saturated fats are
the same."
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

In article >,
Merlin Dorfman > wrote:

> I have been reading that dark chocolate is a healthy food because
>it has lots of flavinoids and antioxidants, but (in contrast to
>milk chocolate) not much of the downside of dairy products. However
>looking at the labels of various dark chocolates, the saturated fat
>content is huge! How can that be healthy?

The health hazards of dietary saturated fats are being reconsidered just
as nutritionists are recognizing that the decades-old advice to eat
margarine instead of butter for heart health was ass-backwards.

For myself, I'm always suspicious of claims that a category of food that
people have been eating since before they were humans is bad for us.

--
"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is
poetry, imagination." -- Max Planck
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Merlin Dorfman wrote:
>>
>> I have been reading that dark chocolate is a healthy food
>> because it has lots of flavinoids and antioxidants, but
>> (in contrast to milk chocolate) not much of the downside of
>> dairy products. However looking at the labels of various
>> dark chocolates, the saturated fat content is huge!
>> How can that be healthy?

> Quoting from:
> http://www.candyusa.org/Media/Nutrit...holesterol.asp

> Research Shows "Chocolate Does Not Raise Cholesterol:
> " Stearic Acid Called "A Unique Saturated Fat"

Thanks...seems a bit too good to be true, though :-)
--------------------------------
> Milk Chocolate in the diet, even when consumed
> on a daily basis over a long period of
> time, does not raise blood cholesterol levels
> in healthy young men, according to the
> Southwestern University Medical Center in Dallas.

> "This finding is exciting because it confirms past
> studies that stearic acid, the predominant
> saturated fat in milk chocolate, is a unique
> saturated fatty acid," said Dr. Penny
> Kris-Etherton of The Pennsylvania State
> University (PSU), principle researcher of three
> studies on the subject. "We knew that stearic
> acid is different from other saturated fats,
> because it has a neutral effect on blood
> cholesterol levels. Now we've taken this research
> a step further and applied it to a popular food
> product, chocolate." Cocoa butter, a large
> component of chocolate, is rich in stearic acid.

> Kris-Etherton's study on 15 young men at
> PSU is the first to examine the relationship
> between high levels of milk chocolate
> consumption and blood cholesterol levels. "All of
> the participants in the study ate diets very high
> in different forms of saturated fat," said
> Kris-Etherton. "Only those who consumed
> saturated fat in the form of milk chocolate did
> not see a significant increase in the blood
> cholesterol level."

> In the PSU study, participants consumed
> varied combinations of saturated fatty acids, in
> higher quantities (20 percent of total calories)
> than they normally eat. Those whose
> saturated fats came from the stearic acid
> in milk chocolate were the only group to show a
> neutral effect on the blood cholesterol level.

> "Not surprisingly, those students who consume
> butter alone as a source of saturated fat
> had an increase in their cholesterol levels,"
> said Kris-Etherton. "But we were interested
> and pleased to see that consuming milk
> chocolate, which contains cocoa butter along with
> a small amount of milk fat, did not raise the
> blood cholesterol."

> Other research supports Kris-Etherton's
> findings. According to Dr. Scott Grundy, Ph.D.,
> Director of the Center for Human Nutrition
> at the University of Texas, "We used to think
> that all kinds of saturated fat raised the
> cholesterol level, but now we know that there
> are several types of saturated fats, and they
> don't all act the same. Our research has shown
> that stearic acid simply doesn't increase the
> cholesterol level in blood the same way that
> other types of saturated fats do."

> Nutritionists recommend that milk chocolate
> be eaten in moderation, but say that there
> is no reason that it cannot be included in
> a diet to control blood cholesterol. "There
> are no good foods and no bad foods, but rather
> there are good diets and bad diets," said
> Kris-Etherton. "When consumers pick up
> a milk chocolate bar and see on the nutrition
> label that it contains saturated fat, they need
> to remember that not all saturated fats are
> the same."

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Merlin Dorfman wrote:

> Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > Merlin Dorfman wrote:
> >>
> >> I have been reading that dark chocolate is a healthy food
> >> because it has lots of flavinoids and antioxidants, but
> >> (in contrast to milk chocolate) not much of the downside of
> >> dairy products. However looking at the labels of various
> >> dark chocolates, the saturated fat content is huge!
> >> How can that be healthy?

> > Quoting from:
> > http://www.candyusa.org/Media/Nutrit...holesterol.asp

> > Research Shows "Chocolate Does Not Raise Cholesterol:
> > " Stearic Acid Called "A Unique Saturated Fat"

> Thanks...seems a bit too good to be true, though :-)

Candy USA is your most reliable source of information
about candy. Candy USA supports the right of every
adult American to choose to eat candy. :-)

Because of corrupt politicians and the influence of
special interests, sugar price supports raise the price
of sugar in the U.S. to more than double the world
price. This is one of the worst examples of a few
companies manipulating government policy for their
own profit -- at the expense of everybody else.

We're losing our candy industry to Canada because of this:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0408/p01s02-usec.htm