Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default Hershey's Special Dark

I just bought a bar of Hershey's 60% Special Dark...It's pretty
good. I don't know if it was made by Sharffenberger (Hershey's is
acquiring Sharffenberger) but they seem to have a similar taste.

I got it at Albertson's Grocery store in the SF bay area on sale
for a $1 per bar.

Good deal --

Interested to know what my fellow chocolate snobs think of it.

dave
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

For that price, BUY!
I thought it a bit chalky and was not impessed.

> wrote in message
>I just bought a bar of Hershey's 60% Special Dark...It's pretty
> good. I don't know if it was made by Sharffenberger (Hershey's is
> acquiring Sharffenberger) but they seem to have a similar taste.
>
> I got it at Albertson's Grocery store in the SF bay area on sale
> for a $1 per bar.
>
> Good deal --
>
> Interested to know what my fellow chocolate snobs think of it.
>

> dave

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

That's the one I steal out of the kids' Halloween haul. I only got one last
year. I haven't seen them other than in the tiny size in the mixed packs you
get at Halloween.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

> wrote in message
>I just bought a bar of Hershey's 60% Special Dark...It's pretty
> good. I don't know if it was made by Sharffenberger (Hershey's is
> acquiring Sharffenberger) but they seem to have a similar taste.
>
> I got it at Albertson's Grocery store in the SF bay area on sale
> for a $1 per bar.
>
> Good deal --
>
> Interested to know what my fellow chocolate snobs think of it.
>

> dave

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:43:30 GMT, "frood"
> wrote:

>That's the one I steal out of the kids' Halloween haul. I only got one last
>year. I haven't seen them other than in the tiny size in the mixed packs you
>get at Halloween.

No They still make the Special Dark your thinking of, but this
appears to be a new item, with a repackaged look to compete with
imports.

This bar is about the size of a regular Hershey's bar.
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

> wrote in message
>I just bought a bar of Hershey's 60% Special Dark...It's pretty
> good. I don't know if it was made by Sharffenberger (Hershey's is
> acquiring Sharffenberger) but they seem to have a similar taste.

<SNIP>
> Interested to know what my fellow chocolate snobs think of it.

It is definitely better than a regular Hershey's bar. I think the best word
to describe it would be "passable".

-Art

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

at Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:31:30 GMT in <ms39u1lmhnvjbth01gk5jtbbf6gcq5thpf@
4ax.com>, wrote :

>I just bought a bar of Hershey's 60% Special Dark...It's pretty
>good. I don't know if it was made by Sharffenberger (Hershey's is
>acquiring Sharffenberger) but they seem to have a similar taste.

No - and I don't really think they taste that similar, really. Scharffen
Berger's 62% has a striking, fruity flavour very similar to blackberries,
extremely tart and with a bit of nuttiness. The profile stays high-strung
throughout the length.

Meanwhile Hershey's 60% is much more of a soft, coconutty flavour, with a
slight fruitiness at best, more reminiscent of cherries. It's got a much
flatter finish, dying away more quickly and with more of a thud.

IMHO the Hershey's is very slightly better than the S-B, S-B being just too
sharp and thus harsh. The flatness of the Hershey's is unfortunate, but
this isn't a fault limited to mass-market chocolate - Pralus Ghana, for
example, is flatter still.

The Hershey's 60% is a pretty creditable effort at quality chocolate. Sure,
there are far better bars, but this one isn't a disaster either, and
widespread distribution should ensure its popularity. OTOH, another bar
with widespread distribution, Ghirardelli's bittersweet, is considerably
better than the Hershey's, and is in fact better that a large percentage of
"high-end" chocolates. It's probably the best value in a chocolate
purchasable in bar form within the USA. There are better chocolates
available even cheaper, but only in break-up or bloc format - not quite so
elegant. Shows you how much you pay for the wrapper...

--
Alex Rast