Vic Canova

Default Question about qualities.

I just received a shipment of Scharffen Berger 3oz. semi-sweet bars. I
opened the first one and found a powdery mist covering the chocolate.
It's barely noticeable at this point, but a finger swipe over the
surface leaves a clear trail.

It could be the natural oxidation of fine chocolate, but as a novice,
it alarms me because having read many of the posts here, it could also
be indicative of product about to spoil. I still have 11 more bars to
consume, so should I return them now, or am I fretting over nothing?
It doesn't taste spoiled (yet).

Also, should the product itself be so HARD? I mean it behaves like a
plane of glass and doesn't melt in your mouth very easily. Are these
typical characteristics of 62% cacao, or did I get stuck with stale
chocolate?

I paid $47 for these things, so I really need to know!

-- Thank You
Alex Rast

at Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:03:14 GMT in
Canova) wrote :

>I just received a shipment of Scharffen Berger 3oz. semi-sweet bars. I
>opened the first one and found a powdery mist covering the chocolate.
>It's barely noticeable at this point, but a finger swipe over the
>surface leaves a clear trail.
>
>It could be the natural oxidation of fine chocolate, but as a novice,
>it alarms me because having read many of the posts here, it could also
>be indicative of product about to spoil. I still have 11 more bars to
>consume, so should I return them now, or am I fretting over nothing?
>It doesn't taste spoiled (yet).
>
>Also, should the product itself be so HARD? I mean it behaves like a
>plane of glass and doesn't melt in your mouth very easily. Are these
>typical characteristics of 62% cacao, or did I get stuck with stale
>chocolate?

Return them now. What you got is chocolate that had "bloomed" - i.e. the
cocoa butter has separated out from the chocolate and risen to the surface.
The texture and mouthfeel you describe is typical of what chocolate is like
once it has bloomed like that. Now you also know that those sources that
claim that the quality of chocolate with cocoa butter bloom on it is
unaffected aren't telling the truth.

Bloom happens because of improper storage - typically temperature cycling
rising above 80F or so. Where did you get it from? I'd advise against
buying from the same source because if that chocolate arrived in that
condition, it's likely that all the chocolate they had in the same
warehouse will be in a similar state. If your source is unaware of this
behaviour you should let them know - chocolate must be kept in a
temperature and moisture controlled warehouse.

However, cocoa butter bloom doesn't indicate the chocolate is "spoiled" in
the classic sense of being unsafe to eat. It just means the sensory
experience will be diminished.

Typical Scharffen Berger chocolate has no problems with texture - it's
smooth and melts in the mouth readily. It has a nice clean snap, but
doesn't shatter "like a pane of glass". Its flavour is *very* fruity - IMHO
somewhat aggressively too much. However, if you like very fruity chocolate
this is the one for you.

--
Alex Rast

Mark Thorson

Alex Rast wrote:

> >Also, should the product itself be so HARD? I mean it behaves
> >like a plane of glass and doesn't melt in your mouth very easily.
> >Are these typical characteristics of 62% cacao, or did I get
> >stuck with stale chocolate?

> Typical Scharffen Berger chocolate has no problems with texture
> - it's smooth and melts in the mouth readily. It has a nice clean
> snap, but doesn't shatter "like a pane of glass". Its flavour is
> *very* fruity - IMHO somewhat aggressively too much.
> However, if you like very fruity chocolate this is the one for you.

Actually, I too would say that it shatters like a pane of glass.
In a sense. For those of us who esteem mouthfeel, that's a
good way to describe what the ideal chocolate would be like.
We don't mean it would form sharp shards and leave us
bleeding from the mouth -- just that a really good chocolate
like SB should remind one of some of the nuances of a sheet
of glass shattering. Freezing the bar accentuates this effect.
Also, making a thin bar like SB enhances the effect -- most
bars (Valrhona, Lindt, Droste, etc.) are thicker, a notable
exception being Villars which is about the same thickness
as SB.

I wish my favorite Valrhona would make thinner bars.
I wonder what would be the easiest and most accurate
way to cut down a full thickness bar to the SB thickness.
Mandolin? Microplane?

frood

Licking. <G>

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

snipped> > I wonder what would be the easiest and most accurate
> way to cut down a full thickness bar to the SB thickness.
> Mandolin? Microplane?

Vic Canova

>Return them now. What you got is chocolate that had
>"bloomed" - i.e. the cocoa butter has separated out
>from the chocolate and risen to the surface. The
>texture and mouthfeel you describe is typical of what
>chocolate is like once it has bloomed like that. Now
>you also know that those sources that claim that the
>quality of chocolate with cocoa butter bloom on it is
>unaffected aren't telling the truth.

Yes, thank you Alex ... I knew you'd have the answer. Since I paid $47
for the product, and the return of opened merchandise is $30 between a
20% restocking fee and shipping, I figure it makes more sense to keep
the bars and learn from the experience.

It's just not a very nice way to introduce myself to finer chocolate,
but perhaps part of the process involves discovering where best to
obtain it?

I bought these from a place called McKeesport Candy in PA -- they had
both free shipping and the 3 oz. 12 packs I was looking for.
http://www.candyfavorites.com

They're more of a concession candy-type supplier, and perhaps that
makes a difference where controlled storage plays a pivotal role on
certain inventory.

I'll call them tomorrow to let them know they have some high ticket
crap in their warehouse, and maybe they'll insist I return what I have
to see for themselves.

If they do, I'll comply immediately regardless of the expense and
return here with a report. If it's OK with you, I'd like to include
your rather indisputable comments in an email I plan to send. There's
simply no way I could explain the phenomenon to them any clearer.

The chocolate I have is good Alex (at least for now), but extremely
brittle. I have a feeling I'll end-up giving them away or tossing them
out, but until I do, I remain open to suggestions on alternative uses
for 11 3oz bars of blooming chocolate.

I must say that Scharffen Berger is a class act. No doubt about it.
Next time I'll try Chocosphere, which is probably what I should have
done in the first place.
-- I mean, their business IS chocolate!

The white mist or "bloom" is fairly common. It means your chocolate has been
around awhile. It doesn't mean it is bad. It is a natural occurance in
chocolate. Just wipe it off. As to the hardness, 62% cocoa type chocolate
is very hard. If it had high cocoa butter content(30% or more), it would be
a little softer and smoother to the bite. 62% chocolate is not really for
eating like a hershey bar, it is for baking. Your chocolate will make a
great mousse or cake or even truffle. There is a surprising amount of
information to learn about chocolate, especially the effect of cocoa solid
and cocoa butter content.

"Vic Canova" > wrote in message
om...
> I just received a shipment of Scharffen Berger 3oz. semi-sweet bars. I
> opened the first one and found a powdery mist covering the chocolate.
> It's barely noticeable at this point, but a finger swipe over the
> surface leaves a clear trail.
>
> It could be the natural oxidation of fine chocolate, but as a novice,
> it alarms me because having read many of the posts here, it could also
> be indicative of product about to spoil. I still have 11 more bars to
> consume, so should I return them now, or am I fretting over nothing?
> It doesn't taste spoiled (yet).
>
> Also, should the product itself be so HARD? I mean it behaves like a
> plane of glass and doesn't melt in your mouth very easily. Are these
> typical characteristics of 62% cacao, or did I get stuck with stale
> chocolate?
>
> I paid $47 for these things, so I really need to know!
>
> -- Thank You

Eddie Grove

> writes:

> 62% chocolate is not really for
> eating like a hershey bar, it is for baking.

Hershey bars are for kids on Halloween, they are not for eating.

While some 62% bars are suitable for eating, I wouldn't buy
one. If you are going to subject your body to the fat and
calories, you might as well do it right with a good 70% bar.

Eddie
frood

I think chocolate preference is highly subjective. I know people prefer to
spend their chocolate calories on milk chocolate. I know people whose
preference is for *gasp* that confection known commonly as white chocolate.
Heck, I even know people who don't like chocolate at all!

You should be happy there are people who don't prefer 70% bars. They leave
more available for you.

The last thing the world needs is chocolate police.

--
"Eddie Grove" > wrote in message
> > writes:
>
> > 62% chocolate is not really for
> > eating like a hershey bar, it is for baking.

> Hershey bars are for kids on Halloween, they are not for eating.
>
> While some 62% bars are suitable for eating, I wouldn't buy
> one. If you are going to subject your body to the fat and
> calories, you might as well do it right with a good 70% bar.
>

> Eddie

Vic Canova

Default Question about qualities -- Status update

Thanks for the comments EVERYONE ...

As it turned out, the OWNER of McKeesport Candy saw my message, called
me back himself, and is sending me replacement product completely FREE
OF CHARGE -- no restocking or shipping fees!

It wasn't a personal demand either, and I was pefectly willing to
comply with the logic of the situation, but he INSISTED. Now THAT is
what I call SERVICE, because he was genuinely concerned about my
disatisfaction.

He even told me to just toss out the 11 3oz bars I have left remaining
here, but in all fairness, I intend to send them back to him anyway.

I'm sure they can get some sort of credit on them, and who knows, they
might serve as educational examples for the future handling of
perishable inventory.

This was a very good experience for me, because I'm learning the
bitter lessons in a semi-sweet way, and how often does that happen in
new endeavors?

Mark Thorson

Vic Canova wrote:

> Thanks for the comments EVERYONE ...
>
> As it turned out, the OWNER of McKeesport Candy saw my message,
> called me back himself, and is sending me replacement product
> completely FREE OF CHARGE -- no restocking or shipping fees!

Gee, that sounds great. But you haven't received the
replacement yet. Be sure to report back when you do.

Mark Thorson

Alex Rast wrote:

> S-B chocolate works best in things that are going to be
> baked for a long time and/or at a relatively high temperature.

That's probably true for you, because you have often
expressed the opinion that SB underroasts their beans.
Other people might find the flavor of SB quite delightful
without trying to modify it.

Vic Canova

Mark Thorson > wrote in message >...
> Vic Canova wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the comments EVERYONE ...
> >
> > As it turned out, the OWNER of McKeesport Candy saw my message,
> > called me back himself, and is sending me replacement product
> > completely FREE OF CHARGE -- no restocking or shipping fees!

> Gee, that sounds great. But you haven't received the
> replacement yet. Be sure to report back when you do.

Just received the replacement Scharffen Berger chocolate from
McKeesport Candy, and it confirmed every word Alex said. I detected
junk and he was right on the money. The stuff I got was aluminum
siding.

As far as my palate is concerned, bloomed chocolate is STALE
chocolate. Yeah, it might still be good for baking, but that's all
it's good for.

The 1oz 62% semi bars they sent me fills the immediate area with an
almost perfume-like aroma of freshly ground chocolate (like wholebean
coffee does), and boast a rich cocoa bite with a very pleasant fruity
aftertaste, just as he implied. Nice and strong.

It reminded me of grapes as I devoured three bars before I had a
chance to think twice. Yes, this chocolate was FRESH and thoroughly
delectable.

Well, such delight is what I graduated myself from Hershey hell to
experience, and I've learned a lot in a short time via the right
folks.

I'm off to Chocosphere with a brand new confidence. I've got lots of
sampling to do. Thanks everyone.