Castlef

Default Sprouting cacao beans ?

Im sure nobody has done this before....... because supposedly the heat
from the fermentation after the harvest of them kills off the germ.
BUt i think it would be interesting to get unfermented raw cocoa beans
and sprout them!!!!

One day i will find them! :P
Mark Thorson

Castlef wrote:

> Im sure nobody has done this before....... because supposedly the heat
> from the fermentation after the harvest of them kills off the germ.
> BUt i think it would be interesting to get unfermented raw cocoa beans
> and sprout them!!!!
>
> One day i will find them! :P

I've bought whole cacao beans at a Mexican food store
(beans imported from El Salvador, actually), and in every
bag there were always a few unfermented beans. What
did you think you could do with them? Cacao only can be
grown at tropical latitudes, and the supply is abundant and
cheap.

Unfermented cacao beans have very little chocolate flavor.
Fermentation is absolutely necessary to developing that
flavor.

Castlef

Mark Thorson > wrote in message >...
> Castlef wrote:
>
> > Im sure nobody has done this before....... because supposedly the heat
> > from the fermentation after the harvest of them kills off the germ.
> > BUt i think it would be interesting to get unfermented raw cocoa beans
> > and sprout them!!!!
> >
> > One day i will find them! :P

> I've bought whole cacao beans at a Mexican food store
> (beans imported from El Salvador, actually), and in every
> bag there were always a few unfermented beans. What
> did you think you could do with them? Cacao only can be
> grown at tropical latitudes, and the supply is abundant and
> cheap.
>
> Unfermented cacao beans have very little chocolate flavor.
> Fermentation is absolutely necessary to developing that
> flavor.

Its not so much the taste i'm interested in, its the health aspects of
the chocolate. Even the ancient aztechs drank it, and the europeans
found it to bitter to taste, but perhaps it's an aquired taste. What
i'm interested in, is either sprouted cocoa beans, if thats possible
or fermented cocoa beans that are unprocessed and i want to grind them
up with a pestle or something and drink it(without heating them to
high temperatures)!!!
Alex Rast

at Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:22:40 GMT in
(Castlef) wrote :

>Mark Thorson > wrote in message
>> Castlef wrote:
>>
>> > Im sure nobody has done this before....... because supposedly the
>> > heat from the fermentation after the harvest of them kills off the
>> > germ. BUt i think it would be interesting to get unfermented raw
>> > cocoa beans and sprout them!!!!
>> >
>> > One day i will find them! :P

>> I've bought whole cacao beans at a Mexican food store
>> (beans imported from El Salvador, actually), and in every
>> bag there were always a few unfermented beans. What
>> did you think you could do with them? Cacao only can be
>> grown at tropical latitudes, and the supply is abundant and
>> cheap.
>>
>> Unfermented cacao beans have very little chocolate flavor.
>> Fermentation is absolutely necessary to developing that
>> flavor.

>Its not so much the taste i'm interested in, its the health aspects of
>the chocolate. Even the ancient aztechs drank it, and the europeans
>found it to bitter to taste, but perhaps it's an aquired taste.

Remember that the Aztecs both fermented and roasted their beans - this is
how the Europeans learned to process them in the first place. Unfermented,
unroasted cocoa beans have different nutritional characteristics from the
fermented, roasted product, and are much less digestible. In raw state,
it's common to eat the pulp and spit out the bean or seed, much as you
would eat a peach and spit out the pit. Peach pits aren't especially
digestible, much like cocoa beans.

> What
>i'm interested in, is either sprouted cocoa beans, if thats possible

Remember that cocoa beans are nothing like ordinary beans (i.e., legumes).
Cocoa beans are a type of hard-shelled pit, again, a bit like the pit of
stone fruit but most closely similar to a nut. A walnut is another close
analogy. You can surely sprout an unshelled walnut if you want, but it's
not going to be any more edible in that format than the unshelled walnut
would have been - you're just simply trying to eat a tree sprout.

>or fermented cocoa beans that are unprocessed and i want to grind them
>up with a pestle or something and drink it(without heating them to
>high temperatures)!!!

High temperatures destroy some compounds in some foods (especially Vitamin
C and C-supporting flavonoids), but enhance others (such as lycophene in
tomatoes. So it's not a given that high temperatures are damaging. If
you're worried about fat changing under heat, remember, cocoa butter is a
saturated fat, i.e. it's very stable under heat. Eating an unroasted
fermented cocoa bean I think might be an interesting experiment, but I
wouldn't assume it's more nutritionally sound.

--
Alex Rast

Member

I was actually interested in the very thing -but I wanted to know how to sprout cacao beans in order to GROW my own cacao trees... anyone chime in on this? I bought mine 10% fermented from Sunfood Nutrition. Where can I buy these sproutable cacao beans from? El Salvador?

eml eml is offline
Member

As another poster noted, unfermented beans can be found online at sunfood dot com

Sunfood removes the surrounding fruit at harvesting before fermentation can occur and claim "low to no fermentation" and are otherwise natural and unprocessed so should work for sprouting (I am going to try myself soon).

Cacao is not only extremely sensitive to factors like humidity and can be grown only in tropic areas, but is a shade grown plant and requires planting under a tree canopy--good cacao is grown exclusively in the rainforest. The mono-sunfarms that produce cacoa (largely in western Africa) due so at several various reduced factors--including extremely shortened life span of the tree (10 years or less--making this option significantly economically costlier long-term, despite possible higher short-term profits; not a viable business model), loss of natural pesticide management (hence significant increase in pesticides--both a business and environmental expense with consumption consequences that include decreased consumer demand with the growing health demand of many of the world's consumers) and, decreased nutritional value. I would be interested in hearing plans for and results from your effort. Good luck with everything.

Last edited by eml : 07-01-2010 at 05:39 PM Reason: accidently submitted before finishing post
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlef View Post
Im sure nobody has done this before....... because supposedly the heat
from the fermentation after the harvest of them kills off the germ.
BUt i think it would be interesting to get unfermented raw cocoa beans
and sprout them!!!!

One day i will find them! :P
Hello,everybody.I am a newer here.I like to make friends.
If u are the people that like to make friends too,just contact me.Haha