lakota

Default chocolate & flavonols

I saw a news article that most chocolate companies take the flavonols
out of the cocolate to prevent the bitter taste. Does anyone have a link
to which chocolate companies do not strip it out?
Roy

> saw a news article that most chocolate companies take the flavonols
>out of the cocolate to prevent the bitter taste. ?

I doubt about it....I had made chocolate from the cocoa
beans....chocolates remain bitter after you get the chocolate liqour.
When you add cocoa butter, sugar, etc to get the desired chocolate type
and mixed and passed through the roll refiner and then to the conche
the flavors are just improved as the volatiles, acidity, and excess
moisture are removed....The sugar and the milk may mellow down the
bitterness
But flavonols is not responible for the bitter taste.... IIRC its more
tannins ....

>Does anyone have a link
>to which chocolate companies do not strip it out

That is difficult to find...

Roy

>I saw a news article that most chocolate companies take the flavonols
>out of the cocolate to prevent the bitter taste. Does anyone have a link
>to which chocolate companies do not strip it out?

After my last post of this topic this never stopped me to ponder on
the chemistry of such flavonol loss which initially appears to be an
'unqualified 'propostion.
Recently one particular book came into my hands related to phenolics
and nutraceuticals It was Shahidi F. and Naczak M.(2004) Phenolics in
Food and Nutraceuticals .published by the CRC press USA.
It is described there that
'.The flavonols belong to the phenolics called phenolpropanoids along
with the flavomoids, isoflavones,flavononol ,flavonone anthocyanins,
catechin and epicathehin etc which are present in all plant materials
..'

Incidentally the latter two materials are present in tea, coffee and
chocolates but they are not classified as flavonols as they have
different molecular structure.
Yes they share the related polyphenolic( multiple benzene ring and one
uniqueness is the presence of the pyran ring( six membered heterocyclic
ring) which confers each of them their uniqueness in the matter in
which functional groups are existent or attached and the spatial
configurations of such groups in relation to the ring structure.
>From looking at the alkaloid containing beverages coffee , tea and

chocolate, the processing of the materials led to considerable loss
and alteration of the phenylpropanoids .
In relations to the cocoa bean the fermentation and drying exerted
modifications and even loss of such materials
It was discussed in that book that phenylpropanoids are responsible
for the bitterness of the chocolates. Incidentally tannins is a
oligomer ( chain of different phenolpropanoids connected together in
the same principle glucose and fructose are in simple sugar as wel as
the repeating glucose molecule in polysaccharides which indicates that
tannin is composed of 3-10 molecules of different phenypropanoids ) is
responsible for part of the bitterness as well as the astringency.
It was found out that after the bean is fermented there is already a
significant loss of the major phenylpropanoids present in cacao bean;
in particular there is a 90% drop in epicathechin . One notable effect
is the loss of color of the bean due to degradation of one color
inducing phenypropanoid - anthocyanin.
Therefore the roasting of the bean can also induce changes on the
nature of the phenylpropanoid in the cocoa bean, but the subsequent
processing which includes the grinding, the milling and conching does
not pose any changes in the so called phenylpropanoids.
Therefore the idea flavonols ( and other related phenylpropanoids are
not intentionally removed by the chocolate manufacturer but is part of
the changes which occurs after the bean is harvested starting at the
onset if fermentation and drying which considerable changes are
observed. But much less in the chocolate processing.( as claimed) as
when the cocoa bean arrives at the hands of the chocolate manufacturer
the flavonoids content is already significatnly altered!
Therefore it is a myth that chocolate companies are removing such
things in order to minimize the bitterness of the chocolates
The proponents of such flavonol removal theory IMO was deluded by
their own ignorance 'hidden' chemistry of chocolate processing as a
whole.
They have viewed the mostly physical conditions in chocoalte
manufacture as affecting the loss of a phenylpropanoids, in particular
the flavonols.
Besides the flavonols (quecetin and keempfesterol is not listed in the
major flavonoids present in the cocoa beans! or not even considered of
importance in such material.
Roy

Geoffrey Bard

Well, that's pretty easy: just look on the label and see if it lists in the
ingredients "Cocoa processed with alkali". This chocolate has been treated
to remove the acids, and therefore the flavinoids.