Joseph Littleshoes

Default "Cold dog"? "Chocolate dog"?

I am trying to find a recipie for a no bake, refrigerated chocolate
concoction where iirc, chocolate, flour, eggs, milk & etc. are mixed and
poured into a loaf pan over some type of cookie.

It is supposedly a German "comfort food" usually made with readily
available commercial chocolate and cookies.

Google seems to turn up only warnings about feeding dogs chocolate.
----
Joseph Littleshoes

Janet Puistonen

While there may well be such a dessert, and it may be "no bake," it is unlikely to be entirely uncooked. The only reason to put flour in something like that is to thicken it. And that only happens when the flour is cooked. (That, plus texture, is the usual reason to use eggs also, although there are some recipes in which the eggs aren't cooked.) From the ingredients you list, I would assume that a kind of custard is made and poured over the cookies, then the whole thing is refrigerated. That makes sense.

.....having said that, I did some searching and found a dessert called Kalter Hund. It is described as biscuits (ie, cookies) with chocolate filling between. (Similar to something made in the US with thin chocolate wafer cookies and ice cream or whipped cream (or one of the vile substitutes, such as Cool Whip). I have the feeling that there are a number of versions of this, though.

Try here for the one I found:
www.recipezaar.com/81746

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message ...
I am trying to find a recipie for a no bake, refrigerated chocolate concoction where iirc, chocolate, flour, eggs, milk & etc. are mixed and poured into a loaf pan over some type of cookie.
It is supposedly a German "comfort food" usually made with readily available commercial chocolate and cookies.

Google seems to turn up only warnings about feeding dogs chocolate.
----
Joseph Littleshoes

Janet Puistonen

Here's another one. I"ve checked out a few, and they all seem to have about the same ingredients (and no flour).

Kalter Hund

INGREDIENTS:

1 (16 ounce) package plain butter cookies

1/4 cup rum

1 egg

3/4 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:

1. Spread butter cookies out in a single layer on a baking
sheet with sides. Brush or sprinkle with rum. Line a 9x5 inch
loaf pan with aluminum foil, leaving enough extra at the sides
to fold over the top for storage.

2. In a medium bowl, whip the egg and sugar together until thick
and pale. Whisk in vanilla and cocoa powder until well blended,
then stir in melted butter.

3. Line the bottom and sides of the prepared pan with butter
cookies. Spread a 1/2 inch layer of chocolate cream over the
bottom. Place another layer of cookies, followed by another
layer of cream. Repeat until cream is gone, ending with cookies
on the top. Fold aluminum foil over the top, and place in the
refrigerator until firm, about 3 hours. Slice into 1/2 inch
slices and serve.

Kalter Hund