Lars Marowsky-Bree

Default Coffee-flavoured truffles

Hi all,

as I mentioned I would a couple of weeks back, I have asked how to best
get coffee flavour into truffles at the 'chocolate workshop' lead by
Pascal Brunière, a patisserie with Valrhona.

He suggested that for extracts (like coffee), it's best to make the
extract using the cream, ie cook the coffee with the coarse grinded
beans and filter them out again. Same method for tea et cetera.

(Of course, coarsely grinded beans need to soak and cook longer to
extract than fine powder.)

I hope this is useful for someone.

Sincerely,
Lars

--
http://lars.marowsky-bree.de/disclaimer.html
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/wis...1YT8P9SMIUTDI/
Scott

In article >,
Lars Marowsky-Bree > wrote:

> He suggested that for extracts (like coffee), it's best to make the
> extract using the cream, ie cook the coffee with the coarse grinded
> beans and filter them out again. Same method for tea et cetera.
>
> (Of course, coarsely grinded beans need to soak and cook longer to
> extract than fine powder.)
>
> I hope this is useful for someone.

I've done that for coffee-flavored ice cream, and it turned out very
nicely. The cream and sugar hides over-extraction.

<http://thecoffeefaq.com/#icecream>

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
Scott

In article >,
Lars Marowsky-Bree > wrote:

> He suggested that for extracts (like coffee), it's best to make the
> extract using the cream, ie cook the coffee with the coarse grinded
> beans and filter them out again. Same method for tea et cetera.
>
> (Of course, coarsely grinded beans need to soak and cook longer to
> extract than fine powder.)
>
> I hope this is useful for someone.

I've done that for coffee-flavored ice cream, and it turned out very
nicely. The cream and sugar hides over-extraction.

<http://thecoffeefaq.com/#icecream>

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
Jeff Day

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as I mentioned I would a couple of weeks back, I have asked how to best
> get coffee flavour into truffles at the 'chocolate workshop' lead by
> Pascal Brunière, a patisserie with Valrhona.
>
> He suggested that for extracts (like coffee), it's best to make the
> extract using the cream, ie cook the coffee with the coarse grinded
> beans and filter them out again. Same method for tea et cetera.
>
> (Of course, coarsely grinded beans need to soak and cook longer to
> extract than fine powder.)

I use instant espresso granules, myself. When the chocolate has been
melted by the cream I add the espresso granules.

Jeff
Aisha

Hi Every One,
Best to make cthe extract using the cream.

Jeff Day > wrote in message news:<duvVd.27239$Ze3.17802@attbi_s51>...
> Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > as I mentioned I would a couple of weeks back, I have asked how to best
> > get coffee flavour into truffles at the 'chocolate workshop' lead by
> > Pascal Brunière, a patisserie with Valrhona.
> >
> > He suggested that for extracts (like coffee), it's best to make the
> > extract using the cream, ie cook the coffee with the coarse grinded
> > beans and filter them out again. Same method for tea et cetera.
> >
> > (Of course, coarsely grinded beans need to soak and cook longer to
> > extract than fine powder.)

> I use instant espresso granules, myself. When the chocolate has been
> melted by the cream I add the espresso granules.
>
> Jeff

The Holdermans

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as I mentioned I would a couple of weeks back, I have asked how to best
> get coffee flavour into truffles at the 'chocolate workshop' lead by
> Pascal Brunière, a patisserie with Valrhona.
>
> He suggested that for extracts (like coffee), it's best to make the
> extract using the cream, ie cook the coffee with the coarse grinded
> beans and filter them out again. Same method for tea et cetera.
>
> (Of course, coarsely grinded beans need to soak and cook longer to
> extract than fine powder.)
>
> I hope this is useful for someone.
>

> Sincerely,
> Lars

Well silly me but I would use the coffee flavored oils you can buy at
the candy supplies plus a little kahlua. or I would use a little
espresso in the genache....or I have heard of but not found instant
espresso powder. you could add that to the genache.
Janet Puistonen

The Holdermans wrote:
> Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as I mentioned I would a couple of weeks back, I have asked how to
>> best get coffee flavour into truffles at the 'chocolate workshop'
>> lead by Pascal Brunière, a patisserie with Valrhona.
>>
>> He suggested that for extracts (like coffee), it's best to make the
>> extract using the cream, ie cook the coffee with the coarse grinded
>> beans and filter them out again. Same method for tea et cetera.
>>
>> (Of course, coarsely grinded beans need to soak and cook longer to
>> extract than fine powder.)
>>
>> I hope this is useful for someone.
>>

>> Sincerely,
>> Lars
>>

> Well silly me but I would use the coffee flavored oils you can buy at
> the candy supplies plus a little kahlua. or I would use a little
> espresso in the genache....or I have heard of but not found instant
> espresso powder. you could add that to the genache.

I whisk instant espresso into the cream when making the ganache. I've used
both Medaglia D'Oro and another Italian brand that begins with L (Lavasso?
Something like that.)

Scott

In article <mBFYd.570$qN3.198@trndny01>,
"Janet Puistonen" > wrote:

> I whisk instant espresso into the cream when making the ganache. I've used
> both Medaglia D'Oro and another Italian brand that begins with L (Lavasso?
> Something like that.)

Lavazza?

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Janet Puistonen

Scott wrote:
> In article <mBFYd.570$qN3.198@trndny01>,
> "Janet Puistonen" > wrote:
>
>> I whisk instant espresso into the cream when making the ganache.
>> I've used both Medaglia D'Oro and another Italian brand that begins
>> with L (Lavasso? Something like that.)

> Lavazza?

Sounds right. I buy them at an Italian deli/specialty food store. For some
reason, the larger supermarkets around here carry Medaglio d'Oro coffee in
the can, but not their instant expresso.