Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default How much sugar in your cocoa?

Hi chocoholics and others.

Well anyone hanging out here knows that I love chocolate but despise sugar.
Up until this AM I was using 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml)of sugar to a
tablespoon (15 ml) of cocoa powder.

This morning acting on a creative impulse I used 1 teaspoon (5 ml) to 4
teaspoons (20 Ml) of cocoa powder and it was delightful.

Additionally since I cannot use animal milk I tried an older
formulation of mixing with a tablespoon or so of cold water mining well,
then adding my coconut milk creamer (a tablespoon) and adding
hot water according to the vessel you are using.

I use chopsticks(hashi) for mixing my cocoa powdder with sugar, cocoa
with water and creamer and to stir the hot cocoa drink.

bliss -cocoa powered in San Francisco, CA.
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

You could try stevia. It has a pretty clean
sweet taste, but it does have a rather long
sweet aftertaste. If it didn't have that,
it would be the perfect sweetener. Many recipes
also need the physical properties of sugar
(aside from its sweetness), and sugar substitutes
don't have those.

I avoid sugar because it causes endothelial
dysfunction, which is believed to be the initial
event in atherosclerosis and is implicated
in type 2 diabetes. There is also a growing
body of evidence implicating it in the etiology
of Alzheimer's Disease.

Stevia isn't sugar, so no problem there.