Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.chocolate

Default Scharffen Berger, Joseph Schmidt plants to close

Note that Scharffen Berger production has already mostly
been moved to Illinois. I've noticed their chocolate
hasn't had that fruity cacao flavor for several years,
and that probably explains it. I haven't bought their
chocolate since I noticed the change.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BU2F15I9DV.DTL
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.chocolate

On 2009-01-28, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> hasn't had that fruity cacao flavor for several years,

Hershey's newer machines no doubt lack the rust and old metal flavor from
Scharfy's antique equipment.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.chocolate

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Note that Scharffen Berger production has already mostly
> been moved to Illinois. I've noticed their chocolate
> hasn't had that fruity cacao flavor for several years,
> and that probably explains it. I haven't bought their
> chocolate since I noticed the change.
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BU2F15I9DV.DTL

Ahhhh. Thanks for the warning. Merely by coincidence, I have not
had Scharffen Berger chocolate for several years, and I was
thinking of getting a small bar, for a LC recipe. I guess I'll
rethink that.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.chocolate

Jean B. wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Note that Scharffen Berger production has already mostly
>> been moved to Illinois. I've noticed their chocolate
>> hasn't had that fruity cacao flavor for several years,
>> and that probably explains it. I haven't bought their
>> chocolate since I noticed the change.
>>
>> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BU2F15I9DV.DTL
>>

> Ahhhh. Thanks for the warning. Merely by coincidence, I have not had
> Scharffen Berger chocolate for several years, and I was thinking of
> getting a small bar, for a LC recipe. I guess I'll rethink that.

Two names much more historied still in the SF Bay Area:
Guittard which may make the very best chocolate.

Ghirardelli which maks very good chocolate and which is widely
available under
the Eagle brand.

Scharffen Berger was very nice but the little niblet bars were fine.
Joseph Schmidt was a maker of truffles rather than chocolate per se.
We still have See's for chocolate candies, and for specialized needs
check out
the Rainbow Grocery which has gigantic vegan truffles.

Long live the chocolatiers!
later
bliss - cocoa powered -(at sfo dot com)

--
b.sellers - retired nurse in San Francisco

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion.
" --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.chocolate

B Sellers wrote:

> Joseph Schmidt was a maker of truffles rather than chocolate per se.

I got a box of those for Christmas. They were gorgeous, and
absolutely delicious.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.chocolate

B Sellers wrote:
> Two names much more historied still in the SF Bay Area:
> Guittard which may make the very best chocolate.
>
> Ghirardelli which maks very good chocolate and which is widely
> available under
> the Eagle brand.
>
> Scharffen Berger was very nice but the little niblet bars were fine.
> Joseph Schmidt was a maker of truffles rather than chocolate per se.
> We still have See's for chocolate candies, and for specialized needs
> check out
> the Rainbow Grocery which has gigantic vegan truffles.
>
> Long live the chocolatiers!
> later
> bliss - cocoa powered -(at sfo dot com)
>
> --
> b.sellers - retired nurse in San Francisco
>
> It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
> It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
> the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
> It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion.
> " --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste

Gee, I could think about chocolate all day--and thanks for the
reminder to have a square of it. You are lucky to live in an area
with chocolate manufacturers of some reknown.

--
Jean B.