Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default best deal for dark chocolate?

Where can I find good deal for decent dark chocolate (> 70% cocoa)?
Preferably low suger.
Most of the retail packaged bars sells for $15 per pound. Is there bulk or
un packaged ones?

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

peter wrote:
> Where can I find good deal for decent dark chocolate (> 70% cocoa)?
> Preferably low suger.
> Most of the retail packaged bars sells for $15 per pound. Is there bulk or
> un packaged ones?

Trader Joe's Pound Plus 72% cocoa solids bitter-sweet chocolate bar at
about 4 to 5 USD presently. It is good enough.

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
--from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

peter wrote:

> Where can I find good deal for decent dark chocolate (> 70% cocoa)?
> Preferably low suger.
> Most of the retail packaged bars sells for $15 per pound.
> Is there bulk or un packaged ones?

Alex Rast used to frequently proclaim Guittard's
Gourmet Bittersweet as a very good chocolate
at a very good price.
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

bobbie sellers wrote:

> peter wrote:
> > Where can I find good deal for decent dark chocolate (> 70% cocoa)?
> > Preferably low suger.
> > Most of the retail packaged bars sells for $15 per pound.
> > Is there bulk or un packaged ones?

> Trader Joe's Pound Plus 72% cocoa solids bitter-sweet chocolate bar at
> about 4 to 5 USD presently. It is good enough.

They've also recently introduced a 3-pack of 72%
dark chocolate bars, total weight 4.97 ounces
(I'd call that 5 ounces, because I don't believe
their equipment can possibly measure within 1%),
for $1.49. I like this chocolate, though it's not
as fruity (Alex would have said underroasted)
as what I usually like (such as Valrhona and
Chocovic).

I think the price and quality make this one of
best deals in chocolate available in small
quantity at retail. That works out to about
$5 per pound.

The package says the chocolate is from Belgium,
which suggests it might be Callebaut, but I don't
think it tastes much like Callebaut. I think
Callebaut has more vanilla. The TJ's bars do not
have anything on the ingrediants list that could
be vanilla.

Of course, this could be a type of Callebaut
I've never had before, or it could be a special
order for TJ's.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream Featuring King's Cupboard Dark Chocolate Chunk Hot Chocolate Cocoa Connoisseur ... Chocolate 0 19-10-2006 05:16 PM
Dark chocolate Anny Middon General Cooking 9 03-08-2006 02:07 AM
Dark chocolate Fred Vegan 5 21-04-2006 04:44 PM
Dark Chocolate - Healthy Chocolate freedom4all Chocolate 4 29-12-2005 04:18 PM
Dark Chocolate Cake Charles Gifford General Cooking 0 24-12-2003 09:26 AM