Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Jim Wild

Default Food and beer

As I have mentioned in a post 3 seconds ago, I love the food~beer
combination.

My top 3 are,,,, Ritz crackers topped with sharp cheddar and a splot of
yellow mustard washed down with Molson Ice or I suspect a good ale like
SN pale.

A meaty spicy pizza with Anchor Steam.

A thick burger from an Applebees type place with a good ol Sam.

My question for you is,,,,,,, Your secret discoveries. Any food~beer
matches that stick out in your mind?
Please, no Budweiser~corn chip connections. Just real beer.

Thanks, Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Jim Wild wrote:

> My top 3 are,,,, Ritz crackers topped with sharp cheddar and a splot of
> yellow mustard washed down with Molson Ice or I suspect a good ale like
> SN pale.

You "suspect?" Haven't done it for real then? How about some aged
Chimay cheese with artisanal crackers (never seen the inside of a box,
y'know) washed down with Jewbelation 5766 from Schmaltz Brewing?

> A meaty spicy pizza with Anchor Steam.

Tends to wipe out the flavor of the beer. You're better off with
something that isn't so easily overwhelmed by tomato sauce, spices,
and stuff like pepperoni and Italian sausage. Anchor Steam goes
fine with a lot of things, bit gimme something a bit bolder to
go with a "meaty spicy pizza."

> A thick burger from an Applebees type place with a good ol Sam.

Ho. Ly. Shit. APPPLE****ingBEE's?? You voluntarily set foot in those
places, while claiming to hate "mass produced crap?" There must be a
really different concept of "mass produced crap" on your planet. Do you
realize that every second spent in Applebee's is time you'll never get
back in your life?

> My question for you is,,,,,,, Your secret discoveries. Any food~beer
> matches that stick out in your mind?

Sure, but I don't want to scare you too much.

> Please, no Budweiser~corn chip connections. Just real beer.

Yeah, 'cause Molson-Ritz cracker connections are just so gour-met.
You bet.

Okay, you talked me into it:

Mussels cooked in lambic sauce with fries accompanied by Drie Fonteinen
Oude Kriek

Belgian black sausage and "stoemp" accompanied by Girardin Black Label
Gueuze

A hearty platter of Zwetschgenbames served with with the house Keller-
bier at the Winkler brewery in Melkendorf, Germany

A Tafelspitz lunch accompanied by Staropramen at Beim Czaak in Vienna,
Austria

But before I ramble on forever... Enjoy the burger at Applebee's.
Boo-yah!
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Applebee's in Raleigh NC has the worst Burgers, they are like hockey
pucks and the beer selection is poor at best.

Applebee,s (glorified McDonalds)

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Barb

"dgs" > wrote in message
> Jim Wild wrote:
>
>> My top 3 are,,,, Ritz crackers topped with sharp cheddar and a splot of
>> yellow mustard washed down with Molson Ice or I suspect a good ale like
>> SN pale.

> You "suspect?" Haven't done it for real then? How about some aged
> Chimay cheese with artisanal crackers (never seen the inside of a box,
> y'know) washed down with Jewbelation 5766 from Schmaltz Brewing?
>
>> A meaty spicy pizza with Anchor Steam.

> Tends to wipe out the flavor of the beer. You're better off with
> something that isn't so easily overwhelmed by tomato sauce, spices,
> and stuff like pepperoni and Italian sausage. Anchor Steam goes
> fine with a lot of things, bit gimme something a bit bolder to
> go with a "meaty spicy pizza."
>
>> A thick burger from an Applebees type place with a good ol Sam.

> Ho. Ly. Shit. APPPLE****ingBEE's?? You voluntarily set foot in those
> places, while claiming to hate "mass produced crap?" There must be a
> really different concept of "mass produced crap" on your planet. Do you
> realize that every second spent in Applebee's is time you'll never get
> back in your life?
>
>> My question for you is,,,,,,, Your secret discoveries. Any food~beer
>> matches that stick out in your mind?

> Sure, but I don't want to scare you too much.
>
>> Please, no Budweiser~corn chip connections. Just real beer.

> Yeah, 'cause Molson-Ritz cracker connections are just so gour-met.
> You bet.
>
> Okay, you talked me into it:
>
> Mussels cooked in lambic sauce with fries accompanied by Drie Fonteinen
> Oude Kriek
>
> Belgian black sausage and "stoemp" accompanied by Girardin Black Label
> Gueuze
>
> A hearty platter of Zwetschgenbames served with with the house Keller-
> bier at the Winkler brewery in Melkendorf, Germany
>
> A Tafelspitz lunch accompanied by Staropramen at Beim Czaak in Vienna,
> Austria
>
> But before I ramble on forever... Enjoy the burger at Applebee's.
> Boo-yah!
> --

I agree with your taste dgs, but that doesn't mean that we have to be snobs!
To each his own! Maybe Jim will start experimenting and expand his
repertiore!

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

I love food and I love beer, but to be honest, I don't think they enhance
each other. If I've had a bunch of beer, I really enjoy a great, hearty
meal--but I don't think its a function of combination. In Prague last
summer I had the black stuff at U Fleku and then a wonderful dark beer with
three dumplings and three meats at a corner place nearby--but they don't
actually seem to make each other better--both were spectacular
independently, but not made better by being had together.

With wine it's different. White wine with anything garlicky is explosive.
(In fact, anything garlicky with ANY wine is huge). White wine with fish
also builds dimension upon dimension. Red wine with meats develops powerful
dimensions of earth-moving richness.

But great beers are phenomenal in and of themselves. They have hundreds of
flavors, while some excellent wines only have a few.

Wines and foods seem to interact in dynamic and powerfuly symbiotic ways,
whereas beer and food seem just to get along, at best--but could do just as
well taken separately.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

dgs wrote:

> .... Do you
> realize that every second spent in Applebee's is time you'll never get
> back in your life?

Which "casual family restuarant" chain is it that gives you back the
time you've spend there? I suppose it works like this- you go in at
11:45 am, wait for a table, wait for a beer, wait to order, wait for
another beer, try not to get annoyed at the cluster of waitresses [or is
it the varsity cheerleading squad?] giggling in the corner ignoring the
customers, get food, push it around the plate and think "I can't believe
they serve people this crap and are still in business...", wait for the
check, pay, walk out past the cheerleaders saying "Thanks for coming!"
and IT'S 11:45 AM.

I guess it's a chain, but if it's a "mom & pop", I hope it's near where
I live. Is there a chain where you get the time and MONEY back? Any
that take care of that heavy, slightly sickly feeling one gets after
eating the "food"?

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Well said.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

In article <lIMlf.13580$Qf5.4284@trndny07>, Barb > wrote:
>I agree with your taste dgs, but that doesn't mean that we have to be snobs!
>To each his own!

Exactly. That's why we love dgs so much. He's his own
person. Why tell to not be hisself?

>Maybe Jim will start experimenting and expand his
>repertiore!

Maybe Jim will realize he's the worst kind of faux snob,
running down what he doesn't like while revealing his
ignorance.

As for food and wine being the pinnacle of pairings while
beer and food are mere acquaintances (who said that? Douglas?),
I say I have had wonderful food/beer pairings. I've also
concluded that for the most part chefs just aren't familiar
enough with beer to make the effort to make such pairings.
--
Joel Plutchak "Too often, our cultural emphasis on freedom and individual
plutchak@[...] rights gets taken to the extreme, becoming a kind of selfish
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joris Pattyn

"> (In fact, anything garlicky with ANY wine is huge).

That is a meaningless generalisation.

>White wine with fish also builds dimension upon dimension.

In principle, it's OK - just keep off the lemon or lime, in that case, or
goodbye to your expensive delicate white wine. Just try a draught old lambic
next to it, or a gueuze...

> whereas beer and food seem just to get along, at best--but could do just
> as well taken separately.

Exactly, they can stand on their own. And if you like a combination, go for
it. Just leave the "musts" out of the picture.
Joris

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Jon Binkley

Douglas W. Hoyt wrote:

> I love food and I love beer, but to be honest, I don't think they enhance
> each other.

[...]

> Wines and foods seem to interact in dynamic and powerfuly symbiotic ways,
> whereas beer and food seem just to get along, at best--but could do just as
> well taken separately.

As a rule I agree with you, but the exceptions to that rule are
significant.

First, BELGIUM. Belgian beers tend to get along with foods in
general every bit as synergistically as wine. No surprise there,
they were designed to, just as wine was. In contrast, English
ales were designed for long evening sessions with little or no
food, and they tend to be best taken that way. Other beers
are just as you say-- at best they get along, but they rarely
synergise.

Second, CHEESE. I don't know how the ancient myth that
wine and cheese make a good pairing got started, but it's BS.
Wine is blown away by cheese. Beer and cheese, OTOH,
tends to be a fantastic, synergistic pairing-- especially super-
estery beers, like Belgian abbeys, or Bavarian hefe-weizens.

Third, CHOCOLATE. Nothing pairs better with chocolate than
beer, especially roasty beer or intensely bitter beer.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Jim Wild

Default Food and beer~~ Joel

Thanks Joel for coming to my defense after being stepped on by these
sophisticated socialites.

It was an innocent question. I simply pointed out a few examples that I
remember. And yes the cheese on a ritz with Molson was good. Thats the
way we like it in the hood. Applebees was a bad example. We have an
independent gathering place that really does have the best burgers.

Next time I post here I will be sure to appear to be more sophisticated
and worldly.

Well, sorry I didn't meet your high expectations. I go buy some beer
with a name I can't pronounce and try it with some Klaverem Flambe' in
scouvnech sauce and let you know how my senses became excited. And I'll
post it in French.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Becker

Me, I like a good IPA to go with the hot Indian curry that I love so much.

"Jim Wild" > wrote in message
> As I have mentioned in a post 3 seconds ago, I love the food~beer
> combination.
>
> My top 3 are,,,, Ritz crackers topped with sharp cheddar and a splot of
> yellow mustard washed down with Molson Ice or I suspect a good ale like
> SN pale.
>
> A meaty spicy pizza with Anchor Steam.
>
> A thick burger from an Applebees type place with a good ol Sam.
>
> My question for you is,,,,,,, Your secret discoveries. Any food~beer
> matches that stick out in your mind?
> Please, no Budweiser~corn chip connections. Just real beer.
>
> Thanks, Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Jim Wild

Default Food and beer~Jess

I agree, those places like Applebees, Fridays, and Chillys are bad. The
reason I mentioned a place like that was due to our independent place
here in town. One differance, this place has great food and service.

A few years ago, I got an invite to a free meal for a new Chillys that
was not opened yet, but needed the staff to practice. So us lab rats sat
there and waited forever to be served after the orders were placed. Of
coarse I ordered the most expensive thing on the menu. After and hour, a
ribeye arrived. I cut through that thing deperately only to obtain 3
bites of meat. It was a huge slab of fat. The potato product thing was
under done and the other portion was poked with my fork a few times but
not eaten. It was terrible. Yet, as bad as it was, these places are
always packed, I assume with collage kids who don't know the differance.
There are good places that have the same atmosphere, but certianly not
the chains. I think those were geared towards 20 somethings, who drink
Coors Light and munch on wings because it is hip.

Chillys was not good, at all.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

"Joris Pattyn" > wrote in message
"> (In fact, anything garlicky with ANY wine is huge).
> That is a meaningless generalisation.

All right, I'll rewrite it: anytime I have food that includes clove upon
clove of garlic, the wine makes it explode stratospheric. A local wine bar
used to sell whole giant roasted bulbs of garlic over the counter (illegal
in some states?). They knew what they were doing (but I think it was
spouses, girlfriends, and other significant others that must have made them
go out of business). In any case, wine uniquely sends the garlic vapors to
parts unheard of. I hope this is not just another meaningless
generalization.

>>>White wine with fish also builds dimension upon dimension.

> In principle, it's OK - just keep off the lemon or lime, in that case, or
> goodbye to your expensive delicate white wine. Just try a draught old
> lambic next to it, or a gueuze...

Sounds great! Will do!

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Benzel

Douglas W. Hoyt > wrote:
:
: All right, I'll rewrite it: anytime I have food that includes clove upon
: clove of garlic, the wine makes it explode stratospheric. A local wine bar
: used to sell whole giant roasted bulbs of garlic over the counter (illegal
: in some states?). They knew what they were doing (but I think it was
: spouses, girlfriends, and other significant others that must have made them
: go out of business). In any case, wine uniquely sends the garlic vapors to
: parts unheard of. I hope this is not just another meaningless
: generalization.
:

So does beer. Roasted elephant garlic is one of the really popular
appetizers at Bear Republic's brewpub in Healdsburg, CA. I ate a bunch
and washed it down with Racer X. It went to parts unheard of and beyond
and lived there for two whole days.

A superb and memorable experience.

--
Bill
AT DOT
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

and washed it down with Racer X. It went to parts unheard of and beyond and
lived there for two whole days. A superb and memorable experience.

Elephant garlic it is then!

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Tom Wolper

Jim Wild wrote:

> Next time I post here I will be sure to appear to be more sophisticated
> and worldly.

That's the wrong direction to go, Jim. State which beer(s) you like, why you
like it/them, and don't put anybody else down for his taste in beer.

Tom
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Benzel

Chicken in Cantillon Gueuze Sauce

Ingredients:
3 lb. Boneless chicken breast, cut to bite sized pieces
? lb mushrooms, sliced
2 red bell peppers, cleaned, cut to pieces @ size of the mushroom
slices.
1 cup grapeseed oil
2 tbsp butter
1 pinch ground mint leaves.

Marinade:
1 750 ml bottle Cantillon Gueuze
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce.

Dredge mixtu
? cup flour
2 tsp sage
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp tarragon
2 tsp .Chimayo. chile molido or similar
1 tsp ground orange peel
(all herbs should be finely ground . mix thoroughly)

Marinate chicken overnight.

Saute mushrooms and peppers in butter with mint.

Pour the marinade off of the chicken (reserve in a separate container).

Dredge the chicken in the flour/herb mixture.

Use a large skillet to pan fry the chicken in oil at medium high heat
for about 15 minutes. Turn it a few times, the flour and herbs should
be allowed to fall off into the oil. Reduce heat to medium low for
about 5 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to take the chicken pieces out
of the pan into a separate container. (If you.re planning to serve this
plated you.ll need to keep the chicken warm for about ? hour.)

The oil and flour and herbs left behind in the pan form the basis for
the sauce. Keep the heat low and gradually add the reserved marinade,
stirring constantly to keep the sauce smooth. Then gradually raise the
heat until you get a slow, even boil going and allow the sauce to
reduce, add the saut?ed mushrooms and peppers.

Serve either plated with fresh fruit and cheese (mangoes and brie go
really well with this) or family style. Best beer accompaniment is a
Flemish sour brown (Oud Bruin) or sour red for a .harmonious. pairing or
you can do a .contrasty. pairing using a lager.

--
Bill
AT DOT
reply to bbenzel adelphia net
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Benzel

Pasted from a word doc -- when you see ? below it's actually 1/2.

Bill Benzel > wrote:
: Chicken in Cantillon Gueuze Sauce
:
:
:
:
: Ingredients:
: 3 lb. Boneless chicken breast, cut to bite sized pieces
: ? lb mushrooms, sliced (1/2 lb.)
: 2 red bell peppers, cleaned, cut to pieces @ size of the mushroom
: slices.
: 1 cup grapeseed oil
: 2 tbsp butter
: 1 pinch ground mint leaves.
:
: Marinade:
: 1 750 ml bottle Cantillon Gueuze
: 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
: 1 tbsp soy sauce.
:
: Dredge mixtu
: ? cup flour (1/2 cup)
[...]

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Jim Wild

Default Food and beer~Bill~all

A much simpler recipe.

Marinate chicken parts in either Orange or apple juice for 24 hours at
least. (in the fridge) Boil in same juice for 20 mins. Cook as usual.
OR, 7 hours on the smoker grill will make it 34 times better.

Left overs will lose 90% of the marinated flavor. Eat directly. Don't
knock it till you try it.

You should feel honored I even shared this with you. Oh yeh,,, Who the
hell am I? But seriously, it's good.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Roy Scherer

TROLL simply a troll.
"Jim Wild" > wrote in message
> As I have mentioned in a post 3 seconds ago, I love the food~beer
> combination.
>
> My top 3 are,,,, Ritz crackers topped with sharp cheddar and a splot of
> yellow mustard washed down with Molson Ice or I suspect a good ale like
> SN pale.
>
> A meaty spicy pizza with Anchor Steam.
>
> A thick burger from an Applebees type place with a good ol Sam.
>
> My question for you is,,,,,,, Your secret discoveries. Any food~beer
> matches that stick out in your mind?
> Please, no Budweiser~corn chip connections. Just real beer.
>
> Thanks, Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

Sublime.

But I just can't help thinking (in a devestatingly cruel one-upmanship
Usenet sort of way) that it might be better with duck.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Benzel

Douglas W. Hoyt > wrote:
:>>>>> Chicken in Cantillon Gueuze Sauce
:
: Sublime.
:
:
: But I just can't help thinking (in a devestatingly cruel one-upmanship
: Usenet sort of way) that it might be better with duck.
:
:

It'd be excellent with duck too. You could also vary with a Kriek or
Framboise -- duck would probably carry the residual fruit flavors better
than chicken.

I wrote it up a couple of years ago as a handout when I brought a batch
to a pot-luck & Lambic tasting. It's meant as a starting point.
Experimentation and alteration encouraged.

--
Bill
AT DOT
reply to bbenzel adelphia net
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Jim Wild wrote:

> Thanks Joel for coming to my defense after being stepped on by these
> sophisticated socialites.

Dude. You came on like a beersnob-wannabe. Looking down your nose at
Bud & Coors drinkers while extolling the virtues of Molson Ice doesn't
do a lot for your cred. Same thing with using Applebee's as an
example of a place for burgers & beer.

If your post was more along the lines of "I'm just starting out with
combining food and beer," you just might have gotten a different
reaction, but there are no guarantees - kinda like real life.

> It was an innocent question.

It wasn't the question, it was the attitude. You can't wander into a
forum like this and not expect that people are total newbies on good
beer and related things.

> I simply pointed out a few examples that I
> remember. And yes the cheese on a ritz with Molson was good. Thats the
> way we like it in the hood.

Find a better hood.

> Applebees was a bad example. We have an
> independent gathering place that really does have the best burgers.

Lots of places do. Doesn't help much since you're not specific about
geography. If you're stuck in some awful beer desert in the south-
eastern USA, your choices are likely to be more limited than if you're
in some populated area near a major city, especially in the norheast
and wesetern USA.

> Next time I post here I will be sure to appear to be more sophisticated
> and worldly.

Don't "appear" anything. Ask questions instead of pretending to know
all the answers. Unless, of course, you really do know all the answers.
Then you can expect a lot of questions.

> Well, sorry I didn't meet your high expectations.

You are not!

> And I'll
> post it in French.

Keep working on the English first. Hint: "Guinness."

Party on, dude.
--
dgs

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Jim Wild wrote:

> A much simpler recipe.
>
> Marinate chicken parts in either Orange or apple juice for 24 hours at
> least.

Not so much to my taste - I like more savory flavors in my bird, but
I know folks like this kind of fruit/meat thing too. Also, I like beer
to be involved. So: beer-butt chicken. I was using cans of Tecate
lager for a while; the beer's nothing special, but with the spices and
garlic, it's fine for beer-butt chicken, and then I can re-use the cans
with other things. Most recently, the "other thing" was an older bottle
Pete's Pub Lager that I'd kept too long in the cellar, but was fine for
beer-butt chicken. I wonder how it would be with SN Bigfoot?
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Barb wrote:

> I agree with your taste dgs, but that doesn't mean that we have to be snobs!

Does too!

> To each his own!

Or her own, perhaps...

> Maybe Jim will start experimenting and expand his
> repertiore!

I would hope so, yes. It should be encouraged.

Consumed this evening: Urthel Hop-It!, Flying Dog Imperial Porter,
N'Ice Chouffe, Gouden Caroulus Noel, Delerium Noel, and St Feuillen
Noel. 'Tis the season and all that.
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Andy

A pickled egg and a packet of walkers cheese and onion crisps go well
together and with beer!

cheers

andy

"Jim Wild" > wrote in message
> As I have mentioned in a post 3 seconds ago, I love the food~beer
> combination.
>
> My top 3 are,,,, Ritz crackers topped with sharp cheddar and a splot of
> yellow mustard washed down with Molson Ice or I suspect a good ale like
> SN pale.
>
> A meaty spicy pizza with Anchor Steam.
>
> A thick burger from an Applebees type place with a good ol Sam.
>
> My question for you is,,,,,,, Your secret discoveries. Any food~beer
> matches that stick out in your mind?
> Please, no Budweiser~corn chip connections. Just real beer.
>
> Thanks, Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Benzel

dgs > wrote:
:
: Consumed this evening: Urthel Hop-It!, Flying Dog Imperial Porter,
: N'Ice Chouffe, Gouden Caroulus Noel, Delerium Noel, and St Feuillen
: Noel. 'Tis the season and all that.

Don't miss the Abbaye Val-Dieu Winter if you can find it -- really nice,
full flavored -- pairs really well with chocolate. It's got my vote for
seasonal of the year so far.

Also popped a '97 SN Celebration Friday night -- last one -- held up
remarkably well.

--
Bill
AT DOT
reply to bbenzel adelphia net
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Benzel

dgs > wrote:
:
: Not so much to my taste - I like more savory flavors in my bird, but
: I know folks like this kind of fruit/meat thing too. Also, I like beer
: to be involved. So: beer-butt chicken. I was using cans of Tecate
: lager for a while; the beer's nothing special, but with the spices and
: garlic, it's fine for beer-butt chicken, and then I can re-use the cans
: with other things. Most recently, the "other thing" was an older bottle
: Pete's Pub Lager that I'd kept too long in the cellar, but was fine for
: beer-butt chicken. I wonder how it would be with SN Bigfoot?

A few years ago someone did a fried turkey -- before frying they took a
bottle of Bigfoot and put it in a blender with a lot of fresh rosemary
and basil -- might have been some garlic as well -- then used a syringe
to inject the meat with the blended beer / herb combination -- that
worked really well.

--
Bill
AT DOT
reply to bbenzel adelphia net

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

Default Food and beer and GIGGY BROOLZ

"Jon Binkley" > wrote in message

<SNIP of a bunch of smart stuff about beer & food>

Um...weren't you part of the "beer doesn't enhance food like wine does" a
few years ago? Or am I misremembering?

ObBroolz: Walked into the Schlenkerla house tap on the Dominikanerstrasse
Thursday around 1315 local, and there was bROOLZ hisself, grinning and
looking good. Shocking -- in a number of ways, but I quickly got over that,
and he joined my group of freeloading beerwriters for a lunch of stuffed
onion, then went along on a tour of the brewery at the personal invite of
Matthias Trum. Bless the lad if he didn't have a completely unexpected
Weihnacht present for me, too: 5 half-liter Eurostandard bottles of Frankish
blonde bocks, which came in very handy that night in Kulmbach when the turbo
on the bus blew and we had to drown our sorrows. Thanks, Nik, great to see
you!!

--
Lew Bryson

Their clothes are weird, their music sucks and they drink
malternatives. And now you tell me they probably don't think Sierra
Nevada is cool? This is what the passage of years does to you: It
makes everyone around you more stupid. -- Michael Stewart 6/24/02

www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

Jim Wild > wrote:
>Marinate chicken parts in either Orange or apple juice for 24 hours at
>least. (in the fridge) Boil in same juice for 20 mins.

I've found that using citrus on chicken (or even pork
tenderloin) for that long will negatively impact the
consistency of the meat.

>OR, 7 hours on the smoker grill will make it 34 times better.

Seven hours for chicken parts?! How about 1.5-2 hours
at about 225F in the smoker? Even whole chickens only take
3.5-4 hours.
--
Joel Plutchak "Too often, our cultural emphasis on freedom and individual
plutchak@[...] rights gets taken to the extreme, becoming a kind of selfish
entitlement that undermines our ability to function as a
civil community.€¯
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Jon Binkley

Lew Bryson wrote:

> Um...weren't you part of the "beer doesn't enhance food like wine does" a
> few years ago? Or am I misremembering?

Your memory is fine, but the jet lag made you miss the point
that those fine beer/food combinations I listed were exceptions
to the rule that, well, "beer doesn't enhance food like wine does".

> ObBroolz: Walked into the Schlenkerla house tap on the Dominikanerstrasse
> Thursday around 1315 local, and there was bROOLZ hisself, grinning and
> looking good.

I call bullshit. It's common knowledge that the "man" is just
another sock puppet of Hiawatha's. I suspect that you were
suffering an absinthe hallucination.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

Rule? RULE? http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/One_Flew_Over_the_Cuckoo's_Nest

>> ObBroolz: Walked into the Schlenkerla house tap on the Dominikanerstrasse
>> Thursday around 1315 local, and there was bROOLZ hisself, grinning and
>> looking good.

> I call bullshit. It's common knowledge that the "man" is just
> another sock puppet of Hiawatha's. I suspect that you were
> suffering an absinthe hallucination.

Bullshit on you, Mr. "So-called" Binkley: everyone knows that today's
absinthe couldn't give you a hallucination with three days' head-start on a
hard-on. Seeing Broolz was scary as a Precious Moments nightmare, but he was
real.

--
Lew Bryson

"As for talking shit in this NG, Lew, you're the undisputed king, and
that's no SHITE." -- Bob Skilnik, 1/31/02

www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Jon Binkley

Cheswick:

> > I call bullshit. It's common knowledge that the "man" is just
> > another sock puppet of Hiawatha's. I suspect that you were
> > suffering an absinthe hallucination.

> Bullshit on you, Mr. "So-called" Binkley:

That's "Dr. 'So-called' Binkley" to you, pal.

> everyone knows that today's
> absinthe couldn't give you a hallucination with three days' head-start on a
> hard-on.

Can't be so. I read it on RFDB!

> Seeing Broolz was scary as a Precious Moments nightmare, but he was
> real.

Sock puppet, meat puppet-- whatever he was, his jpegs
came out blurry. Which, given some of his subjects,
was not necessarily a bad thing.

Just don't try to tell me that Scheidt is real.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Jon Binkley wrote:

> Just don't try to tell me that Scheidt is real.

Real in print.

Virtual at all other times.

And since Thursday, every pub, tavern, restaurant, and dive in town has
been smoke-free. That is very real. Won't be getting that in Germany
or Austria any time soon, no siree, "Dr." "Binkley."
--
dgs

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"dgs" > wrote in message
> Jon Binkley wrote:
>
>> Just don't try to tell me that Scheidt is real.

As if. He's "nobody I know."

> Real in print.
>
> Virtual at all other times.

A virus, that's what he is.

> And since Thursday, every pub, tavern, restaurant, and dive in town has
> been smoke-free. That is very real. Won't be getting that in Germany
> or Austria any time soon, no siree, "Dr." "Binkley."

True, but...My clothes only got really smoky one night, when we were in
Spezial and Fässla. München's beerhalls were not as smoky as I remember them
from just three years ago. Odd. But not at all unpleasant.

--
Lew Bryson

"GOOD or SHITE?" -- Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Rob

"Jim Wild" > wrote in message
> As I have mentioned in a post 3 seconds ago, I love the food~beer
> combination.
>
> My top 3 are,,,, Ritz crackers topped with sharp cheddar and a splot of
> yellow mustard washed down with Molson Ice or I suspect a good ale like
> SN pale.
>
> A meaty spicy pizza with Anchor Steam.
>
> A thick burger from an Applebees type place with a good ol Sam.
>
> My question for you is,,,,,,, Your secret discoveries. Any food~beer
> matches that stick out in your mind?
> Please, no Budweiser~corn chip connections. Just real beer.
>
> Thanks, Jim

Get yourself a damn good curry, not some boil in the bag or microwave
shambles - a good curry from a good place. Complete the ensemble with
Stella Artois followed by a couple of pappadoms and you're on your way

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
sleurB kciN

Lew Bryson > wrote:

> ObBroolz: Walked into the Schlenkerla house tap on the Dominikanerstrasse
> Thursday around 1315 local, and there was bROOLZ hisself, grinning and
> looking good. Shocking -- in a number of ways, but I quickly got over that,
> and he joined my group of freeloading beerwriters for a lunch of stuffed
> onion, then went along on a tour of the brewery at the personal invite of
> Matthias Trum.

Now *there's* a nice guy. And he can haul ass up a hill.

Bless the lad if he didn't have a completely unexpected
> Weihnacht present for me, too: 5 half-liter Eurostandard bottles of Frankish
> blonde bocks, which came in very handy that night in Kulmbach when the turbo
> on the bus blew and we had to drown our sorrows.

Oh, the humanity: swigging from the bottle--I only hope Herr
Dornbusch didn't see! It appears that you lot drank up the
bocks at Faessla and Spezial--there was none to be had when I
popped in yesterday to reward myself after a long, hard day of
househusbandry. Ah, well. I didn't really care for Faessla's,
and Spezial's...well, just too damned black and strong.

I hope to get to Greifenklau yet before theirs is gone; it's
the only remaining Bambergerbockbier to be sampled by moi. Who
knew that the period between All Hallow's and the 6th of
January (forget what freakin' Bayerisch holiday it is...) is
traditionally heller bock time? Hmmm?

Thanks, Nik, great to see
> you!!

It was great to see you too. Never got that kiss I was
hoping for, but oh well. Was sure swell to meet the others
and see Dalldorf, Moen, and especially *Parker* again--what
a surprise indeed. You lot were actually quite a classy
group, thanks only to those charming lady journalists, I'm
sure.

ObBeer: Here are five of the four bocks in question. (I gave you
four bocks and a bottle of the regular dunkles from Krug Braeu in
Breitenlesau--I swapped that for the swing-top of bock pictured
below, thinking that a swing-top might make for more difficult
packing...)

http://acorn.he.net/~nickb/frankenbock/5bockbiere.jpg

I rounded up cases of these last week in the car. A case of
20 (a couple had an extra bottle thrown in--I got comped!!!)
averaged about 12 EUR plus deposit at the breweries in question.
From L-R:

Br. Eichhorn in Doerfleins--7.3% Fruitiest of the bunch,
probably because there's a bit of yeast in this unfiltered
treat, and there's no shortage of alcohols. It's almost a
Belgian heller bock, actually. FG

Br. Kundmueller in Weiher--6.6% Least dry, least strong,
least impressive overall, but still not bad. G

Br. Sonne in Bischberg--6.8% Mildest, but also hellest. G

Br. Grasser in Huppendorf--7.5% Hands-down winner. Dryest,
strongest, most hoppy and bitter, but also solidly malty. FFG

Br. Hoenig in Tiefenellern--7.2% A bit messy; I'm not sure
exactly what's not quite right about this one, but I'll have
no trouble finishing the case. G

And now, off to do a bit of trip planning. We're headed
Amsterdam-way in a couple of days, then probably to Brugge
and then Wallonia before swinging back down around this way,
possibly through Freiburg. Could be worse--I hear there's
a Xmas beer fest in Belgium.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"sleurB kciN" > wrote in message
> Lew Bryson > wrote:
>> onion, then went along on a tour of the brewery at the personal invite of
>> Matthias Trum.

> Now *there's* a nice guy. And he can haul ass up a hill.

Herr Trum is quite the guy indeed.

> Bless the lad if he didn't have a completely unexpected
>> Weihnacht present for me, too: 5 half-liter Eurostandard bottles of
>> Frankish
>> blonde bocks, which came in very handy that night in Kulmbach when the
>> turbo
>> on the bus blew and we had to drown our sorrows.

> Oh, the humanity: swigging from the bottle--I only hope Herr
> Dornbusch didn't see!

Oh, no, we were in our rooms and swigging from the minibar glassware! Good
God, man, what do you take us for? We didn't even drink from the bottle on
the bus!

> Thanks, Nik, great to see
>> you!!

> It was great to see you too. Never got that kiss I was
> hoping for, but oh well. Was sure swell to meet the others
> and see Dalldorf, Moen, and especially *Parker* again--what
> a surprise indeed. You lot were actually quite a classy
> group, thanks only to those charming lady journalists, I'm
> sure.

They were nice, weren't they? Your presence confused the hell out of
everyone except the aforementioned, which was kind of fun, too.

Thanks, we were too ****ed to take proper note of the beers, I'm afraid.

> Br. Eichhorn in Doerfleins--7.3% Fruitiest of the bunch,
> probably because there's a bit of yeast in this unfiltered
> treat, and there's no shortage of alcohols. It's almost a
> Belgian heller bock, actually. FG

We liked this one a lot, only surpassed by the

> Br. Grasser in Huppendorf--7.5% Hands-down winner. Dryest,
> strongest, most hoppy and bitter, but also solidly malty. FFG

Have a good trip, Nick.

--
Lew Bryson

"GOOD or SHITE?" -- Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
www.lewbryson.com

Need Your Help With Beer And Food! Arvid Beer 0 07-04-2010 05:18 PM
FA: 1-Day-Left: 6 Books: BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER! (Beer Tasting, Logs, Drinking Games, etc.) Mike[_26_] Marketplace 0 07-07-2007 01:18 PM
Beer and Food Moo Beer 0 25-02-2006 04:39 PM
Mr.Beer : Home Microbrewery Beer Making Kits - Make Your Own Beer ! pg Beer 0 28-11-2004 10:49 AM
Food and beer anyone? Pierre Barbecue 4 21-10-2003 08:19 AM