Filip Geerts

Default Dogfish Head 120 minutes IPA tasted in Belgium

Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45-degree plato, boiled
for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American
hops, dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month and aged for a month on
whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the biggest IPA ever brewed! At
21% abv and 120 IBU's, you can see why we call this the Holy Grail for
Hopheads!
Released quarterly, very limited availabilty
21% ABV 120 IBU

Descriptors: Marmalade, orange peel, woodsy, minty
Food pairing reccomendations: Duck a l'orange, crepes, fruit pies
Suggested serving glass: snifter
Comparable wine style: Grappa
This beer AGES WELL

It's tasted here in Belgium in Bruges at beer pub Dickies's
(http://drink.to/dickies)
http://beeryreports.50megs.com/images/dh01.jpg
http://beeryreports.50megs.com/images/dh02.jpg
http://beeryreports.50megs.com/images/dh03.jpg
José from Dickies' pouring out that marvelous beer liquid.

Be aware that this beer is not available at this beer pub as this was a gift
from an Amercan fellow !!
This was one of my best beer taste moments ever. Truely outstanding stuff
!!!
America !! We love you !!!!!
Cheers,
--
\\//
(oo)

Bill Benzel

Filip Geerts ) wrote:

: This was one of my best beer taste moments ever. Truely outstanding stuff
: !!!

I have a few to trade -- want to work out a deal and ship me equal value
in Ichtegem's?

--
Bill

reply to sirwill1 AT same domain as above
Warren Place

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Filip Geerts wrote:

> Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45-degree plato, boiled
> for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American
> hops, dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month and aged for a month on
> whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the biggest IPA ever brewed! At
> 21% abv and 120 IBU's, you can see why we call this the Holy Grail for
> Hopheads!
> Released quarterly, very limited availabilty
> 21% ABV 120 IBU

If you're a hophead, I think you'd like the 90-min IPA much better. Same
bitterness perception as the 120, but not cloyingly sweet. Drinking the
120 min made my teeth hurt from all the residual sugar in the beer. I
payed $10 for a 12oz bottle and now wish I had bought 2 more 90-min
bottles instead.
Warren Place
Randal Chapman

notbob > wrote in message news:<xyFJc.86110$MB3.9132@attbi_s04>...
> What are "whole leaf hops"? No hop leaves are used in brewing. The flower,
> also known as the cone or the bud, is used. Petals and lupulin glands are
> the individual parts of the flower. No leaves!
>
> nb

Eh semantics.

Hops available to me as a homebrewer:

pellets
plugs
whole-leaf <-- Just the whole cone, when you crush it between your
hands is actually pretty 'leafy'.

_Randal
notbob

On 2004-07-16, Randal Chapman > wrote:

> Eh semantics.

> whole-leaf <-- Just the whole cone, when you crush it between your

No, just correct terminology. As a homebrewer, myself, I understand what you
mean. But, the fact is, I can find no online hop source that uses the term
"whole-leaf". If you can, I'm happy for you.

nb

Lew Bryson

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-07-16, Randal Chapman > wrote:
> > Eh semantics.

Indeed.

> > whole-leaf <-- Just the whole cone, when you crush it between your

> No, just correct terminology. As a homebrewer, myself, I understand what

you
> mean. But, the fact is, I can find no online hop source that uses the

term
> "whole-leaf". If you can, I'm happy for you.

Where'd you look, the phone book? Google turns up a ton (in 0.20 seconds!)
with the following search: "whole leaf" hops
Here's three:
http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/2030
http://cascadehomebrew.tripod.com/About_Hops.html
http://brewingusa.com/allabout_hops.asp

Of course, you get all kinds of hits with this search, too: "whole flower"
hops

But I like this guy's take on it: "Whole hops (you may hear them referred to
as "whole leaf" or "whole flower")..." He's at:
http://www.homebrewhq.com/brewing_beer/hop_info.html

Now we can ALL be happy. Or not. Whatever.

--
Lew Bryson

"GOOD or SHITE?" -- Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
www.lewbryson.com

Lew Bryson

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-07-16, Randal Chapman > wrote:
> > Eh semantics.

Indeed.

> > whole-leaf <-- Just the whole cone, when you crush it between your

> No, just correct terminology. As a homebrewer, myself, I understand what

you
> mean. But, the fact is, I can find no online hop source that uses the

term
> "whole-leaf". If you can, I'm happy for you.

Where'd you look, the phone book? Google turns up a ton (in 0.20 seconds!)
with the following search: "whole leaf" hops
Here's three:
http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/2030
http://cascadehomebrew.tripod.com/About_Hops.html
http://brewingusa.com/allabout_hops.asp

Of course, you get all kinds of hits with this search, too: "whole flower"
hops

But I like this guy's take on it: "Whole hops (you may hear them referred to
as "whole leaf" or "whole flower")..." He's at:
http://www.homebrewhq.com/brewing_beer/hop_info.html

Now we can ALL be happy. Or not. Whatever.

--
Lew Bryson

"GOOD or SHITE?" -- Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
www.lewbryson.com

notbob

On 2004-07-16, Lew Bryson > wrote:

> But I like this guy's take on it: "Whole hops (you may hear them referred to
> as "whole leaf" or "whole flower")..." He's at:
> http://www.homebrewhq.com/brewing_beer/hop_info.html
>
> Now we can ALL be happy. Or not. Whatever.

I concede defeat! :\

Exhibit No 1: The Picture

http://www.johbarth.com/agronomy.htm

......scroll down, note term "bract".

Exhibit No 2:

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~plants-c/bio415/glossary.shtml

Oh well, live and learn!

nb

notbob

On 2004-07-16, Lew Bryson > wrote:

> But I like this guy's take on it: "Whole hops (you may hear them referred to
> as "whole leaf" or "whole flower")..." He's at:
> http://www.homebrewhq.com/brewing_beer/hop_info.html
>
> Now we can ALL be happy. Or not. Whatever.

I concede defeat! :\

Exhibit No 1: The Picture

http://www.johbarth.com/agronomy.htm

......scroll down, note term "bract".

Exhibit No 2:

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~plants-c/bio415/glossary.shtml

Oh well, live and learn!

nb

Lew Bryson

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-07-16, Lew Bryson > wrote:
> > But I like this guy's take on it: "Whole hops (you may hear them

referred to
> > as "whole leaf" or "whole flower")..." He's at:
> > http://www.homebrewhq.com/brewing_beer/hop_info.html
> >
> > Now we can ALL be happy. Or not. Whatever.

> I concede defeat! :\

Oh, you're RIGHT, there's no question about it. But most of the brewers and
homebrewers I know call 'em whole leaf. No biggie.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Lew Bryson