bruce phipps

Default Germany: some of the beer is terrible!

Just returned from a week in Germany, sampling the Helles beer. I'm
not much of a weiss beer fan.

Munich
-------

I hadn't been to Munich for 15 years and it suprised me when beer
quality, especially in the tourist areas, wasn't always top notch.
Best: Helles in the LowenbrauKeller, Hofbrau in the EnglisherGarten.
Worst: Ice-cold Augustiner at Karlsplatz keller, Ayinger at restaurant
next to Hofbrau Haus.

Nuremberg
---------
Best: Tucher, various Paulaner outlets. Andechs pils on tap.
Worst: Kaiser pils, Lederer pils. All in tourist places. All
undrinkable.
Nuremberg was very disappointing re. beer. Several Irish pubs serving
Kilkenny, Fosters etc!!

Frankfurt
---------
Best: Paulaner crystal weiss, some of the Henninger pils was OK.
Binder lager was OK.
Worst: Kaiser pils!

Dusseldorf
-----------
Best: My first experience of Alt beer (like a dark mild) was very
encouraging, but I couldn't drink it all night. One pub in the old
town was absolutely packed with locals stood outside knocking back the
Alt -- even middle-aged well-to-do business ladies were downing 'em!
Worst: loads of Irish pubs!

Bruce
sleurB kciN

bruce phipps > wrote:
> Just returned from a week in Germany, sampling the Helles beer. I'm
> not much of a weiss beer fan.

Me neither.

> Munich
> -------

[...] I didn't have one terrible beer when I was in Munich a couple
of years ago.

> Nuremberg
> ---------
> Best: Tucher,

Eh, Tucher Pils is indeed better than I thought it'd be. Singularly
awesome eatin' at the Tucherbraeu Stueberl near the hbf, too: Bosnian/
Balkan menu.

> various Paulaner outlets. Andechs pils on tap.
> Worst: Kaiser pils, Lederer pils. All in tourist places. All
> undrinkable.

How so? I was in N'berg a couple of months ago, though I don't believe I
actually got to try either Kaiser or Lederer. That Andechs joint is only
3 years old, FWIW.

> Nuremberg was very disappointing re. beer. Several Irish pubs serving
> Kilkenny, Fosters etc!!

Pity you didn't find the brewpubs or Landbierparadise joints.

> Dusseldorf
> -----------
> Best: My first experience of Alt beer (like a dark mild) was very
> encouraging, but I couldn't drink it all night.

?!? I can't comprehend this statement.

> One pub in the old
> town was absolutely packed with locals stood outside knocking back the
> Alt -- even middle-aged well-to-do business ladies were downing 'em!

They're not dim bulbs, those well-to-do D'dorfer business ladies.

> Worst: loads of Irish pubs!

Why would you even bother to notice the Irish pubs?
Slobby Don

bruce phipps wrote:
> Just returned from a week in Germany, sampling the Helles beer. I'm
> not much of a weiss beer fan.
>
> Munich
> Nuremberg
> Frankfurt
> Dusseldorf

Hamburg

Has anyone tried Streitburg? It's my favorite of the .5l six-packs that
Trader Joe's sells for $3.99, even though it has a low rating and really
does look like ****. My favorite beer they sell is Hop Ottin' at $6.99/6pk.
(12z) (California Prices, which are lower than some other states, especially
for two-buck Chuck, the Charles Shaw wine that is $1.99/750ml here and $2.99
and up elsewhere.)

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer...p?BeerID=12970

--
Slobby Don

sleurB kciN

Slobby Don > wrote:
[...]
> Has anyone tried Streitburg? It's my favorite of the .5l six-packs that
> Trader Joe's sells for $3.99, even though it has a low rating and really
> does look like ****.

I ain't tried it, but I would if it were at my local TJ's up here.
Speaking of which, we haven't had any Henninger, Starobrno, or even
Spaten Helles ("Premium") at our TJ's for a while. Some hose-up with
distribution or something.

Slobby Don

sleurB kciN wrote:
> Slobby Don > wrote:
> [...]
>> Has anyone tried Streitburg? It's my favorite of the .5l six-packs that
>> Trader Joe's sells for $3.99, even though it has a low rating and really
>> does look like ****.

> I ain't tried it, but I would if it were at my local TJ's up here.
> Speaking of which, we haven't had any Henninger, Starobrno, or even
> Spaten Helles ("Premium") at our TJ's for a while. Some hose-up with
> distribution or something.

It is very common for TJ's to be out of certain brands of beer and even to
not sell those that a store in another neighborhood across town stocks.
They have some serious shelf space limitations in some stores. The last
time I went in for some Hop Ottin', I had to settle for MacTarnahan's IPA,
not quite as good, but not as pricey either ($5.49 vs $6.99/6pk) There are
five TJ's that I shop here in the San Diego area and more farther north than
I usually go.

--
Slobby Don

st

On 7 Jun 2004 03:42:41 -0700, (bruce phipps)
wrote:

>Just returned from a week in Germany, sampling the Helles beer. I'm
>not much of a weiss beer fan.
>
>Munich
>-------
>
>I hadn't been to Munich for 15 years and it suprised me when beer
>quality, especially in the tourist areas, wasn't always top notch.
>Best: Helles in the LowenbrauKeller, Hofbrau in the EnglisherGarten.
>Worst: Ice-cold Augustiner at Karlsplatz keller, Ayinger at restaurant
>next to Hofbrau Haus.
>
>Nuremberg
>---------
>Best: Tucher, various Paulaner outlets. Andechs pils on tap.
>Worst: Kaiser pils, Lederer pils. All in tourist places. All
>undrinkable.
>Nuremberg was very disappointing re. beer. Several Irish pubs serving
>Kilkenny, Fosters etc!!
>
>Frankfurt
>---------
>Best: Paulaner crystal weiss, some of the Henninger pils was OK.
>Binder lager was OK.
>Worst: Kaiser pils!
>
>Dusseldorf
>-----------
>Best: My first experience of Alt beer (like a dark mild) was very
>encouraging, but I couldn't drink it all night. One pub in the old
>town was absolutely packed with locals stood outside knocking back the
>Alt -- even middle-aged well-to-do business ladies were downing 'em!
>Worst: loads of Irish pubs!

I'm surprised that you didn't like Augestiner. Paulaner is indeed
great. The Lownbrau Oktoberfest special is great. Higher in booze too.

Have any Franzikaner? Schneider Weisse? Is Wieselburger available in
Deutschland? I don't recall seeing it there last year. Only in
Austria, which is a great shame.
Oh, Guess

wrote:

>Just returned from a week in Germany, sampling the Helles beer. I'm
>not much of a weiss beer fan.
>
>Munich
>-------
>
>I hadn't been to Munich for 15 years and it suprised me when beer
>quality, especially in the tourist areas, wasn't always top notch.
>Best: Helles in the LowenbrauKeller, Hofbrau in the EnglisherGarten.
>Worst: Ice-cold Augustiner at Karlsplatz keller, Ayinger at restaurant
>next to Hofbrau Haus.

No Spaten? No Paulaner at the Thomasbrau brewpub? No visit to the
rebuilt and reopened Salvatorkeller? No S-Bahn rides out to taste
the beers in suburban towns? Aw, shucks.

>Nuremberg
>---------
>Best: Tucher, various Paulaner outlets. Andechs pils on tap.
>Worst: Kaiser pils, Lederer pils. All in tourist places. All
>undrinkable.
>Nuremberg was very disappointing re. beer. Several Irish pubs serving
>Kilkenny, Fosters etc!!

No visit to Barfuesser for German brewpub beer? No taste of the
Altstadhof brews? No Schlenkerla? No train rides up to Forchheim
and Bamberg? Golly.

>Frankfurt
>---------
>Best: Paulaner crystal weiss, some of the Henninger pils was OK.
>Binder lager was OK.

*Binding* lager. I've tried their Kutscher Alt on occasion.

>Worst: Kaiser pils!

Frankfurt isn't much of a beer-drinker's town, in comparison with
other parts of Germany. Still, the Apfelwein is worth a try, and
it's an excuse to wander around Sachsenhausen.

>Dusseldorf
>-----------
>Best: My first experience of Alt beer (like a dark mild) was very
>encouraging, but I couldn't drink it all night.

Damn. Sucks to be you. An Altstadt Bierbummel in Duesseldorf is
one of the best beer-drinking experiences ever.

> One pub in the old
>town was absolutely packed with locals stood outside knocking back the
>Alt -- even middle-aged well-to-do business ladies were downing 'em!

Zum Uerige? Zum Schluessel? Details, man, details!

No train-ride down to Cologne to drink Koelsch, just because?

>Worst: loads of Irish pubs!

Yeah, but they're ubiquitous these days.
--
Nobody You Know

Terrible thing Scotmai Wine 5 09-11-2011 01:28 PM
terrible turkey lainie General Cooking 23 30-11-2010 01:34 AM
PR: Boston's premier German Beer Fest to put Germany back on the Beer Map [email protected] Beer 14 29-09-2007 11:24 AM
FA: 1-Day-Left: 6 Books: BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER! (Beer Tasting, Logs, Drinking Games, etc.) Mike[_26_] Marketplace 0 07-07-2007 01:18 PM
I just had a great beer treat at a local Hops restaurant that used Santium Hops from Germany... Miker Beer 0 02-10-2003 10:32 PM