Default Paulaner brewpubs?

Hey beer people

Noticed a sign in downtown Atlanta (at Baker & Peachtree) for a
Paulaner brewpub to open summer 2004. How many of these are there?
What do you think of them?

It didn't look like they had started working on the building so
I wonder what the chances are of it opening on time?

--
Joe Morris
Live music in Atlanta http://jolomo.net/atlanta/shows.html
Steve Jackson

> wrote in message ...
> Hey beer people
>
> Noticed a sign in downtown Atlanta (at Baker & Peachtree) for a
> Paulaner brewpub to open summer 2004. How many of these are there?
> What do you think of them?

Haven't seen any Paulaner pubs in the States. They have at least two of what
we'd call in the States brewpubs in Munich - one on Kapuzinerplatz and one
am Nockherberg, where the new Salvatorkeller is located. Both brew an
unfiltered kellerbier that is pretty much orgasmically good.

If they're brewing anything like that in the States, and it's of the same
quality, bow down and thank whatever deity is convenient.

-Steve

Steve Jackson

"dgs" > wrote in message

> There's one in Munich (duh), a couple in China, one in Singapore, and
> one in Cape Town, South Africa. The one in Munich is quite nice.

Two, now that Nockherberg is open. I'd give a slight edge to the
Kapuzinerplatz one for atmosphere. And ease of finding the damn U-Bahn.

-Steve

Joel

Steve Jackson > wrote:
> wrote in message ...
>> Noticed a sign in downtown Atlanta (at Baker & Peachtree) for a
>> Paulaner brewpub to open summer 2004. How many of these are there?
>> What do you think of them?

>Haven't seen any Paulaner pubs in the States.

>If they're brewing anything like that in the States, and it's of the same
>quality, bow down and thank whatever deity is convenient.

Though given what I know of various regions in the
US, choosing Atlanta as the first one here seems a bit
odd. Discuss.
--
Joel Plutchak "Senza la birra tutto diventa orfano."
plutchak@[...] - Italian proverb (slightly revised)
Randal Chapman

"Steve Jackson" > wrote in message news:<vr96c.103503$h23.38100@fed1read06>...

> Both brew an
> unfiltered kellerbier that is pretty much orgasmically good.
>
> If they're brewing anything like that in the States, and it's of the same
> quality, bow down and thank whatever deity is convenient.
>
> -Steve

What is Kellerbier?

_Randal
Joel

Derek Taylor > wrote:
>I would agree that putting this pub in Atlanta is a somewhat odd
>decision. This kinda pub would do killer business in places like
>Chicago or New York or Boston. These cities seem to have a real
>passion about good beer.

Unless they're going for the convention business, maybe.
--
Joel Plutchak "Senza la birra tutto diventa orfano."
plutchak@[...] - Italian proverb (slightly revised)
John

"Derek Taylor" > wrote in message
om...>

> In the South, well, most people seem content drinking 50 cent pitchers
> of Natural Light or Milwaukee's Best.

Seems only reasonable, Milwaukee being in the South and all.

Steve Jackson

"Randal Chapman" > wrote in message
m...

> What is Kellerbier?

Basically, it's an unfiltered lager beer. To the best of my knowledge, it's
not a particular style like dunkel or stout.

That said, I've always had it as more or less a Bavarian helles-type beer,
but I suspect that's because I've had it in regions that tend to follow the
Bavarian styles (Switzerland, Austria and, well, Bavaria).

The Paulaner stuff is painfully fresh, incredibly flavorful and has a
delightful mouthfeel. It's very easy to sit drinking them all night.

-Steve

Derek Taylor

"John" > wrote in message >...
> "Derek Taylor" > wrote in message
> om...>
>
> > In the South, well, most people seem content drinking 50 cent pitchers
> > of Natural Light or Milwaukee's Best.
> >

> Seems only reasonable, Milwaukee being in the South and all.

Speaking of Southerners loving that cheap beer, I am always amused
when I hear a local club around me advertise there "Drinkin' with
Lincoln" night. On a specific night a pitcher of beer is only a
penny. Anyone wanna make a bet on what brand of beer it is they serve
on that night?

HINT: It is one of the two I mentioned above.

Derek Taylor
http://www.beerbelly.org
sleurB kciN

Steve Jackson > wrote:
> "Randal Chapman" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>> What is Kellerbier?

> Basically, it's an unfiltered lager beer. To the best of my knowledge, it's
> not a particular style like dunkel or stout.
>
> That said, I've always had it as more or less a Bavarian helles-type beer,
> but I suspect that's because I've had it in regions that tend to follow the
> Bavarian styles (Switzerland, Austria and, well, Bavaria).
>
> The Paulaner stuff is painfully fresh, incredibly flavorful and has a
> delightful mouthfeel. It's very easy to sit drinking them all night.

Damn. The one time I was at a Paulaner joint (sorry, forget which,
maybe "Im-something"? Sorry, am into 8th or more beer of the night at the
moment) they were out of Kellerbier. I figured it would be along the
lines of a FRESH, lively version of the St. Georgen Braeu
Kellerbier we get (got?) here in Orygun in bottles: Dark.

What you describe could be "U" lager at Spezial(?) in Bamberg: Unfiltered
spritzy, lively, delectible...to DIE FOR lager. Yes/no?

Eh, hope to make it back to Barvaria someday to seek out the various
other offerings along these lines. That'd suck.
Lew Bryson

"Derek Taylor" > wrote in message
> I would agree that putting this pub in Atlanta is a somewhat odd
> decision. This kinda pub would do killer business in places like
> Chicago or New York or Boston. These cities seem to have a real
> passion about good beer.

Boston? With all the brewpubs they're putting out of business lately?
New York? Them johnny-come-latelies of the US beer scene?

How about Baltimore, or Pittsburgh, or Philly, where people have been
digging microbrewed lagers for years!

Boston...forsooth.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Not so long ago, Derek Taylor wrote:
> I would agree that putting this pub in Atlanta is a somewhat odd
> decision. This kinda pub would do killer business in places like
> Chicago or New York or Boston. These cities seem to have a real
> passion about good beer.

The interesting thing about this location is there's a possibility for a burgeoning
brewpub concentration there -- sure it'll be mostly convention money, but Max Lagers
has finally started putting out some good brews. Then next door is a great pool hall
(non-smoking) with a decent selection of Sierra & Guiness, etc

> In the South, well, most people seem content drinking 50 cent pitchers
> of Natural Light or Milwaukee's Best.

Whatever. That's most people everywhe Monterey to Chicago, St Louis to Dallas,
Buffalo to Washington DC. The South has no monopoly on bad-beer-taste, dude.

--
Joe Morris
Live music in Atlanta http://jolomo.net/atlanta/shows.html
Fred Waltman

Default Kellerbier

sleurB kciN > wrote in message >...

> What you describe could be "U" lager at Spezial(?) in Bamberg: Unfiltered
> spritzy, lively, delectible...to DIE FOR lager. Yes/no?

It is very good (or was last week when I was staying at the brewery
<g>) but I like the Mahrs U a bit better when served via gravity from
a wooden keg. Spezial looses half a point in my book because they use
fake barrels. There is a wooden barrel on the counter, but the beer
comes from a serving tank in the basement. Both are a bit underhopped
compared to rural Franconian kellerbier, IMO.

Fred Waltman
www.FranconiaBeerGuide.com
Fred Waltman

True, but the Hofbräuhaus Las Vegas is the most German feeling place
I've been to in the US. If that was down the street from me, I'd
probably spend some serious time there. Hopefully the Paulaner place
will be as good.

Fred Waltman.

The Submarine Captain > wrote in message >...
> dgs wrote :
>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hey beer people
> >>
> >> Noticed a sign in downtown Atlanta (at Baker & Peachtree) for a
> >> Paulaner brewpub to open summer 2004. How many of these are there?
> >> What do you think of them?

> > There's one in Munich (duh), a couple in China, one in Singapore, and
> > one in Cape Town, South Africa. The one in Munich is quite nice.

> Who'd a thought it ? ;o)
> Such "typical" outlets very often feel phoney when not in their region
> of origin.

Brewpubs in Oshkosh, WI??? David M. Taylor[_2_] Beer 1 25-07-2008 04:41 AM
Paulaner Weissbier Brendan Beer 4 18-10-2006 07:39 AM
Boise Brewpubs? [email protected] Beer 0 21-08-2005 02:13 AM
Paulaner building brauhaus in Atlanta, GA Sean Maxwell Beer 0 05-10-2003 02:24 AM
Any brewpubs in Portsmouth NH? highcastle Beer 5 02-10-2003 08:12 PM