E. Carl Speros

Default Need Help with a Dark Beer.

Pleaee mail me if you can help me. I love dark beers that are malty &
even a bit sweet rather the intense bitter Guinness type of brew. Dos
Equis is about right if it would be a bit darker. My Dr. says Red Wine &
Dark Beer are great for reducing Cholesterol & I love them both. Can
anyone help me find a dark beer I'll enjoy? I'll be anticipating an e
mail. Thanks soooo much, Carl

After Malvern Hill Pres. Lincoln visited with Gens. Mc Clellen & Sumner
as well as Col. Nugent (Commander of the Irish Brigade.)` A Lt. James.
M. Birmingham, Adjutant of the 88th N. Y. came from a swim in the James
R. & with his underwear drying on his body saw them talking. He ducked
behind some cover to eavesdrop in time to see & hear Pres. Lincoln
(overcome with emotion at the bravery & sacrifice of the Irish Brigade.)
as he lifted a corner of the 69th N. Y.'s flag, kissed it & said "God
bless this Irish flag" From Joseph Bilby's book
"Remember Fontenoy" on the Irish Brigade
Lancaster Civil War Round Table Website
http://community.webtv.net/GrayGhost...eCivilWarRound Carl
Speros webmaster.

Steve Jackson

"E. Carl Speros" > wrote in message
> Pleaee mail me if you can help me. I love dark beers that are malty &
> even a bit sweet rather the intense bitter Guinness type of brew. Dos
> Equis is about right if it would be a bit darker. My Dr. says Red Wine &
> Dark Beer are great for reducing Cholesterol & I love them both. Can
> anyone help me find a dark beer I'll enjoy? I'll be anticipating an e
> mail. Thanks soooo much, Carl

You didn't provide one crucial bit of information: Where are you? Beer
availability varies drastically by region, even by city.

-Steve

Lew Bryson

"E. Carl Speros" > wrote in message
> You are so right. I'm from Lancaster Pa. (& dodge Amish buggies going to
> & from work each day) Thanks, Carl (my LCWRT website URL is below.)

Um... Lancaster Milk Stout? Dark, sweet, and you can certainly get it fresh!

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

James Brokaw

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:32:30 -0500 (EST), E. Carl Speros spoke thusly:

> You are so right. I'm from Lancaster Pa. (& dodge Amish buggies going to
> & from work each day) Thanks, Carl (my LCWRT website URL is below.)

Can't help with the PA, but I'm a short skip south in Maryland.

Have you tried any dobbelbocks? From what you've said, you should enjoy
them, and they're in season. Personally, I ordered a keg of DeGroen's
dobbel today, and I'm looking forward to tapping that! (I don't know if
DeGroen's is bottling it, but if you run in to Baltimore they'll sell
you a growler.)

--
\\\\\ ----> <----
\\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

Visit
http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
"Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

Steve Jackson

"E. Carl Speros" > wrote in message

> You are so right. I'm from Lancaster Pa. (& dodge Amish buggies going to
> & from work each day) Thanks, Carl (my LCWRT website URL is below.)

There are several people who hang out on this NG from Pennsylvania. One of
them wrote a book about breweries in PA.

I'm not real well-versed on the local breweris out that way. One I am
thinking of is Heavyweight, which as a wonderful Baltic porter (Porkuno's
Hammer, IIRC) that's both roasty and malty (but not necessarily sweet).

There are a few imports that are pretty widely available that you can look
for. Negra Modello from Mexico. Any number of German doppelbocks. Common
brands include Paulaner's Salvator, Ayinger's Celebrator, Spaten's
Optimator. If you can find Augustiner, and they happen to sell a beer
labeled simply "dark," jump on it. That's Augustiner's Maximator doppelbock,
and it's one of the breatest beers out there, but not often found in the US.

Other things you can look for that are dark and malty: Some of the Trappist
ales, like Chimay Grande Reserve (blue label), Rochefort or Westvleteren.

That ought to give you a good start, at least.

-Steve

Garry Simmons

You've received some good suggestions so far. Here are a couple more... Try
a Penn Dark (Penn Brewing, Pittsburgh). Porters might worth a try (Yuengling
Porter taint bad for relative cheap). I recently had a porter from Southern
Tier brewing that was nice in a chocolatey way, not roasty.

Garry

Lew Bryson

"Garry Simmons" > wrote in message
. ..
> You've received some good suggestions so far. Here are a couple more...

Try
> a Penn Dark (Penn Brewing, Pittsburgh). Porters might worth a try

(Yuengling
> Porter taint bad for relative cheap). I recently had a porter from

Southern
> Tier brewing that was nice in a chocolatey way, not roasty.

VERY good suggestions indeed.