Alexander D. Mitchell IV

Default Drinking/Buying places in L.A.?

Fellow beer geeks (that means trolls shilling for Bud and Coors, drop dead),

I'm off to Los Angeles on business. In the process, I'm getting my fiancee
a ticket and we're spending a week with her family in Arizona. Amtrak,
believe it or not.

Long and short of it: I have about 36 hours in downtown Los Angeles,
Saturday morning to Sunday evening. I have friends coming in to take care
of business, and then we can pub-crawl, somewhat.

I'm looking for recommendations for brewpubs or local craft brews I must
try. Right now the only stuff I know I'm shooting for are the Red Car
Brewery in Torrance and any Riverside products with trains on the label,
plus maybe a couple 22-ouncers of Moylan's best stuff.

Suggestions welcomed; I may take convenience (across the street from Union
Station) versus price or selection, although I hear Beverage Warehouse on
McConnell Ave. in West LA is worth my trouble. Comments?

Lastly, if anyone would like to stand in Aurora, Ill. and hoop up some
America's Brewpub growlers from the roundhouse there as we roll by on the
Southwest Chief........ (damn, I wish it was Flossmoor we were going
by.......)

Cheers...........

Fred Waltman

You are in luck...

From Union Station take the Gold Line tram to Pasadena, get off at Del
Mar and walk 2-3 blocks to Lucky Baldwins, 17 S. Raymond. Great pub
and they have lots of the local Craftsman brews, plus lots of Belgians
and West Coast beers.

Also close to you is Bonaventure Brewing in the Bonaventure Hotel.

I have website www.LABeer.com but it is a bit out of date, so call
before you go to anyplace.

Beverage Warehouse is more in Marina del Rey, just off the tail end if
the 90 Fwy. They have some Moyans but I haven't seen any Riverside
beers there in awhile -- they may be there but I just haven't noticed.

Hope this helps...

Fred Waltman
www.LABeer.com
www.FranconiaBeerGuide.com

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in message >...
> Fellow beer geeks (that means trolls shilling for Bud and Coors, drop dead),
>
> I'm off to Los Angeles on business. In the process, I'm getting my fiancee
> a ticket and we're spending a week with her family in Arizona. Amtrak,
> believe it or not.
>
> Long and short of it: I have about 36 hours in downtown Los Angeles,
> Saturday morning to Sunday evening. I have friends coming in to take care
> of business, and then we can pub-crawl, somewhat.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for brewpubs or local craft brews I must
> try. Right now the only stuff I know I'm shooting for are the Red Car
> Brewery in Torrance and any Riverside products with trains on the label,
> plus maybe a couple 22-ouncers of Moylan's best stuff.
>
> Suggestions welcomed; I may take convenience (across the street from Union
> Station) versus price or selection, although I hear Beverage Warehouse on
> McConnell Ave. in West LA is worth my trouble. Comments?
>
> Lastly, if anyone would like to stand in Aurora, Ill. and hoop up some
> America's Brewpub growlers from the roundhouse there as we roll by on the
> Southwest Chief........ (damn, I wish it was Flossmoor we were going
> by.......)
>
> Cheers...........

Steve Jackson

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in message

> Long and short of it: I have about 36 hours in downtown Los Angeles,
> Saturday morning to Sunday evening. I have friends coming in to take care
> of business, and then we can pub-crawl, somewhat.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for brewpubs or local craft brews I must
> try.

Downtown LA's a bit of a wasteland, both in terms of beer and otherwise.
Lots of people milling around during the business day. And then they all
disappear.

Are you going to have a car? If so, drive yourself over to Santa Monica and
visit Father's Office on Montana, or Library Ale House on Main. At FO, you
can also get one of the best burgers you'll ever get. Both places have
excellent draught selections, probably about 20-30 taps per. Another good
bet, a bit further away, is Cafe Boogaloo in Hermosa Beach. Good selection
of Southern California (meaning mainly San Diego area) beers.

If you don't want to drive, hop on the new Metro line that runs up to
Pasadena (Gold Line?). Get off in downtown Pasadena, walk a couple blocks
west to Lucky Baldwin's. Huge selection, excellent variety and quality.

As for bottles, unfortunately I don't know LA as well for that, and I'm not
going to send you down to Orange County where I do my bottle shopping.

-Steve