Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Default Penn Brewing will bottle 22oz

I noticed in an ad that Penn Brewing will begin to bottle their beers
in 22oz bottles. Is this a trend? I like to purchase Yuengling beer in
22oz bottles because it seems to be a more efficient way of selling
the beer. Also two people can share beer like they share wine. I
remember when I visited Quebec City it seemed as if all the beer was
sold in something like 220z bottles.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

wrote:
> I noticed in an ad that Penn Brewing will begin to bottle their beers
> in 22oz bottles. Is this a trend?

Yeah, I'd say so.

> I like to purchase Yuengling beer in
> 22oz bottles because it seems to be a more efficient way of selling
> the beer.

"Efficient"? How so? It's less packaging, I suppose- but if that's
efficient, why not go back to the quart bottle? More beer (4- 8 oz.
glasses of beer), even less packaging per ounce.

I can pick up a six pack, 12 pack or even a case of beer with one hand
and carry it to the register easier than I can 3 loose 22 oz. "bombers"-
so where's the "efficiency" in that?

"Use a shopping cart?" You know, when I'm forced to buy single bottles
(12 oz, 16 oz, 500 ml., 750 ml or 22-24 oz.) I find myself ALWAYS buying
less total beer than if I just bought a six pack and those "loose"
bottles just tip over and roll around, knocking against each other in
the bottom of "not designed for glass bottles" chromed-metal shopping
carts.

I like choice and would like to see a variety of packaging, rather than
"either/or" (altho' the fact that shelf space is limited does mean that
some beers are going to be deleted). The "bomber" seems to appeal to
the "quantity (of beer styles/brands I've tasted)" beer "rater" versus
the "quality (I just want to drink good beer)" beer drinker. The
ever-increasing number of higher alcohol beers in bigger bottles just
makes no sense at all to me. The 6-7 oz. bottles of Courage Russian
Imperial Stout, Anchor Old Foghorn and others sure made more sense than
1 and 1/2 liter bottles of HotD "Fred" or bomber/champagne bottles of
10-15% beers.

> Also two people can share beer like they share wine

Is it really that much more work to pop the cap off of *2* bottles? Or
is that somehow not "romantic" or "wine-like/cultured" enough?
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

I can pick up a six pack, 12 pack or even a case of beer with one
hand
and carry it to the register easier than I can 3 loose 22 oz.
"bombers"-
so where's the "efficiency" in that?

"Use a shopping cart?" You know, when I'm forced to buy single
bottles
(12 oz, 16 oz, 500 ml., 750 ml or 22-24 oz.) I find myself ALWAYS
buying
less total beer than if I just bought a six pack and those "loose"
bottles just tip over and roll around, knocking against each other in
the bottom of "not designed for glass bottles" chromed-metal shopping
carts.

++++++++++++++++++++++

i don't know where you're buying your beer, but here in Western PA
where the Penn Brewery is, you can't buy single bottles, or as you
say, 3 loose 22 oz. bombers to put into a shopping cart to tip over
and roll around. So, as long as it's a packaged case, why do you care
how many ounces are in the bottle, the can, or in the aluminum
bottle??? Augustiner is available in a 18 aluminum bottles of 16
ounces per. And the aluminum bottle is a work of art!!!

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

tomkanpa wrote:

> i don't know where you're buying your beer, but here in Western PA
> where the Penn Brewery is, you can't buy single bottles, or as you
> say, 3 loose 22 oz. bombers to put into a shopping cart to tip over
> and roll around.

Well, the "Pennsylvania exception" is unique in the US, but, as a
neighbor (NJ) who's bought beer in PA for 30+ years, I'm aware of the
case law but I'm also aware of a number of retailers in PA where I can
buy singles and sixpacks (aka "bottle shops"- this is one I visit often
on "my side" of your state
http://www.trentonroadtakeout.com/inventory1.htm ) and I'm always
surprised when PA people say the "can't" buy less-than-case quantities.
Now, if you're talking about *cost*, well, that's another thing...

> So, as long as it's a packaged case, why do you care
> how many ounces are in the bottle, the can, or in the aluminum
> bottle???

Since I'm not buying the majority of my beer in PA., I don't REALLY care
but just was playing devil's advocate to "tombats" pro-22 oz. bottle
post (say, what's with 3 "toms" in this thread...) but, in general, I do
find the "bomber" bottle to be more expensive per. oz., and more
annoying for the reasons I listed...and, in my "old age", I'm getting
annoyed at some segments of the young whippersnapper beer geek culture
(like the fascination with "bomber" bottle). Heck, I'm nostalgic for
the steinie deposit bottle...

Penn wine Luk Wine 11 21-02-2007 05:10 PM
Brewing Cream of Assam and tea brewing in general opother Tea 2 02-09-2006 03:25 PM
City Brewing May purchase Latrobe Brewing plant Tom or Mary Beer 5 27-06-2006 06:47 PM
Pittsburgh Brewing Co. to acquire Latrobe Brewing ????????? tomkanpa Beer 0 01-06-2006 01:15 PM
Hershy Penn. Aaron L. Chocolate 7 19-12-2003 04:04 PM