Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Hudson Valley Rib Fest review

Well we just got back from the Rib Fest. There are about 50
competitors and the judging is tomorrow. Obviously food was
the drawing card, actually the only drawing card, of the
festival.

Watched Jack McDavid's presentation on butts which was very
entertaining to say the least. He's definitely a piece of
work. One ditzoid blonde in the back was talking very
loudly at the onset of his talk. He called to her about 4 or
5 times to get her attention (she wouldn't shut up). When he
got her attention, he called her up to the front and said
"you're doing the demonstration", she didn't know quite what
to do and said "I can't do that", he said "oh yes you are
'cause you're talking so loud that no one can hear me so I
figure that you must have something to say". Gawd, I loved
it, but then again I'm a sick puppy according to my better
half. ;-)

Anyhow, he pretty much confirmed in my mind that I'm doing
things right. He also agreed with me afterwards when we were
talking that mesquite is best burned in fireplaces, not
smokers, but that it really was one hell of a marketing ploy
to get the "Yankees" to buy the stuff that they won't use in
the South. ;-) Apple and cherry are his preferred woods and
that's what I've been doin' for years.

I had to try his spares and pulled pork. Frankly I thought
the spares could have been cooked a little bit longer but
the flavor was excellent. The pulled pork had a Eastern
Carolina style (vinegar base) sauce. It was definitely tasty
but I discovered that I'm not a huge fan of that style of
sauce. It was "ok" and the pork was done to perfection.
Just not my most favorite favor.

Another competitor, whos name I can't recall, had smoked
sausage and brisket that was very good too. The sausage had
been smoked with pecan and a little hickory - very good.

The brisket was done with apple, nice smoke ring and very
good flavor.

Good time but definitely no place for anyone who was looking
for something to do other than eat. ;-D
--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Van Van is offline

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Well we just got back from the Rib Fest. There are about 50 competitors
> and the judging is tomorrow. Obviously food was the drawing card, actually
> the only drawing card, of the festival.
>
> Watched Jack McDavid's presentation on butts . . .

. . . . accurate & appreciated review snipped . . .

> Good time but definitely no place for anyone who was looking for something
> to do other than eat. ;-D
> --
> Steve

Drove down yesterday with the Wife and 10-month-old granddaughter & arrived
in time to see McDavid's presentation, which was interesting. I wasn't
aware that he did competitions as well as and open-to-the-public food
vending booth. As far as I knew he just had the restaurants in the
Philadelphia area.

I was interested to hear that he varies his rubs & sauces depend upon the
region he is competing in, to suit his perceptions of what the judges will
like best. Guess it makes sense if you're serious about winning!

We sampled his pulled pork (yeah SOME vinegar, but not as much as I've had
in N. Carolina) which was tender, tasty and also appreciated by Grand
Daughter (along with mashed beans). I also tried a half-slab of his ribs
which I thought were much better than mine have been in the past.

They had bouncety-bounce areas for the kids, a good selection of BBQ & junk
food offerings (& beer $3), some vendors booths (bought some 'Dirty Dick's
Hot Sauce') and that's about it.

Stayed to hear the second demo on ribs by the guy in the booth next to
Jack's ("Smokin Dudes", I think). Learned some stuff there as well. After
that, we took a seat in the "Main Tent" to hear a fairly good local band
called 'Off Our Rockers', then drove the 70 miles back to Albany.

I think we'll drive back down today with the (married) kids to sample some
other competitors offerings (admission is only $5 - under 12 free).

By the way -+food was expensive -- Ribs $12 a slab, Sandwiches $6 each
(pp, chicken). There was a roast corn booth charging $3.00 an ear!!! (I
remember 10 cents at fireman's carnivals in the 60's). Corn was crap. Much
better here now.

Maybe see some of ya there??

Van

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Van wrote:

> They had bouncety-bounce areas for the kids, a good selection of BBQ & junk
> food offerings (& beer $3), some vendors booths (bought some 'Dirty Dick's
> Hot Sauce') and that's about it.
>
> Stayed to hear the second demo on ribs by the guy in the booth next to
> Jack's ("Smokin Dudes", I think). Learned some stuff there as well. After
> that, we took a seat in the "Main Tent" to hear a fairly good local band
> called 'Off Our Rockers', then drove the 70 miles back to Albany.
>
> I think we'll drive back down today with the (married) kids to sample some
> other competitors offerings (admission is only $5 - under 12 free).
>
> By the way -+food was expensive -- Ribs $12 a slab, Sandwiches $6 each
> (pp, chicken). There was a roast corn booth charging $3.00 an ear!!! (I
> remember 10 cents at fireman's carnivals in the 60's). Corn was crap. Much
> better here now.
>
> Maybe see some of ya there??
>
> Van

Yeah, I was at the rib presentation as well. He was
interesting too. I thought that it was interesting what he
said about transporting ribs if necessary.

What he said was to smoke the ribs until done, take them out
and sauce them if desired and then wrap (and wrap, and wrap)
them in plastic wrap and put them into a cooker that you've
had boiling water in for a few minutes. (after emptying the
water of course ;-) ) He said that this method will keep
the ribs for 5-6 hours. To serve, just unwrap them and eat.
I'm slightly skeptical but it sounds like it's worth a shot.
Yes, he was the owner of "Smokin' Dudes". Fabulous pulled
pork. He sauced it with a tomato based sauce which was more
to my liking.

I agree the food was expensive and I didn't try the corn
either. I almost bought a "Dirty Dick's" teeshirt but then
came back to my senses. ;-)

If you're headed back and want corn, when you leave and hit
the road back to the Thruway there will be a farm market
immediately on your right. Best corn that we've had all
year, and we've had some good stuff.

Safe trip and report back who wins the competition.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I am presently living near new orleans and planning to retire in a couple of
years.Having summered often in your area- HRiv Valley-I was planning to move
there to be closer to the kids in Albany,Tarrytown and New Haven,CT
.... BUT this fair doesn't sound like much... and we Louisianians do like to
eat,drink,listen to music and,as they say on the bayou ,"pass a good time"!
Around here,we have enjoyed the Oil field chili cookoff as well as the
French Quarter fest,and many crawfish festivals
Where was this Rib fest?
What other activities with music,GOOD food,etc go on near you?

--
Thanks
Hank

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

.....I found it on the map at a previous post...what else is likely to go on?

--
Thanks
Hank

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"hankus" > wrote in message
> What other activities with music,GOOD food,etc go on near you?

This time of year, there is at least one agricultural fair every weekend.
Some better than others as far as music but most have pretty good food. Main
ones are in Connecticut a Brooklyn, Woodstock, Hebron, Lebanon and in
Springfield MA the Eastern States Exhibition in September.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

hankus wrote:
> I am presently living near new orleans and planning to retire in a couple of
> years.Having summered often in your area- HRiv Valley-I was planning to move
> there to be closer to the kids in Albany,Tarrytown and New Haven,CT
> ... BUT this fair doesn't sound like much... and we Louisianians do like to
> eat,drink,listen to music and,as they say on the bayou ,"pass a good time"!
> Around here,we have enjoyed the Oil field chili cookoff as well as the
> French Quarter fest,and many crawfish festivals
> Where was this Rib fest?
> What other activities with music,GOOD food,etc go on near you?

Well, it's only in it's second year. If you're looking for
good BBQ it was tops. It's being held at the Ulster County
Fairgrounds just outside of New Paltz. The link to it is in
an earlier post.

Another one in the area is the Garlic Festival, now that's a
big sucker and food everywhere as well as demonstrations,
crafts, kids activities, bands, etc... It's always held the
last FULL weekend in September in Saugerties New York. If
you ever go, I'd advise going early as traffic can become a
virtual parking lot shortly after noon.
http://www.hvgf.org/

There aren't a lot of what you'd call food festivals around
but there is a lot to do in the area. It's absolutely y in
the fall and there are a lot of great resteraunts around.
Being in New Orleans, you may not appreciate the cold and
snow of the winters though. ;-)

I live in Poughkeepsie. (Dutchess County) The RibFest and
Garlic Festival are held across the Hudson River in Ulster
County. Poughkeepsie would be about in the center of the
area you describe. Albany, 1.5 hours. Tarrytown (I'm
guessing you mean the one in Westchester County as opposed
to the one up by Albany) about 1 1/4 hr. New Haven, 2 hours.

Here's a couple of links that may be in interest:
http://tinyurl.com/mp5n8
http://www.dutchesstourism.com/

I wouldn't let the lack of food festivals scare you, it's
actually a nice area with quite a bit to do. It is rather
expensive and rapidly becoming a suburb of NYC <shudder>.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I have lived in other places which were more atractive than this although
with less of a unique culture.Heat and humidity X 8 mnths and flat and
swampy have grown old.I have no desire to live again in
Chicagoand...actually feel that VA is the ideal balance but the family is
not there.Friends from NO who live along the CT and RI coast are very
comfortable in the winter...remember,as a senior citizen (damn,it went by
fast!!) I will not have to drive to work on icey roads.
--
Thanks to all for the help
Hank