Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need some feedback-The Hudson Valley Garlic Festival.

I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better overnight?

http://hvgf.org/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better
> overnight?
>
> http://hvgf.org/

I'm checking a friend and will post back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote:
>> I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better
>> overnight? http://hvgf.org/

> I'm checking a friend and will post back.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 1:45*pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better overnight?
>
> http://hvgf.org/

That's 8 hours total driving time, plus the time you spend at the
festival. I think you should stay the night so you won't feel rushed
and can enjoy yourself- you deserve a break, right? Just my 2
cents...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 5:14*pm, Merryb > wrote:
> On Sep 4, 1:45*pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
>
> > I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better overnight?

> >http://hvgf.org/

> That's 8 hours total driving time, plus the time you spend at the
> festival. I think you should stay the night so you won't feel rushed
> and can enjoy yourself- you deserve a break, right? Just my 2
> cents...

Is that anything like The Vargus Valley P.T.A.?

I mean, both are pretty smelly, right?

http://www.vargusvalley.com/whofarted.html

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better overnight?
>
> http://hvgf.org/

I live about an hour's drive away but I've never been... if you click on the
aerial view you'll see why... I hate crowds, no shade, and port-a-potties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 4:45*pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better overnight?
>
> http://hvgf.org/

I have a friend who goes from Mass. every year, but he does know
someone in the area, so no overnight lodging expense. He seems to
enjoy it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better
> overnight?
>
> http://hvgf.org/

Steve Calvin who used to post here went every year, if I remember
right. I'm dying to go but it's not going to happen. Weekends in
the fall are taken.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>> I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better
>> overnight?
>>
>> http://hvgf.org/

> Steve Calvin who used to post here went every year, if I remember
> right. I'm dying to go but it's not going to happen. Weekends in
> the fall are taken.
>
> nancy

Yes, Nancy, he's the friend I've e-mailed but haven't heard back yet.
I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same Festival. He's
a real garlic-growing expert!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 20:44:28 -0400, "Dora" > wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>> Kswck wrote:
>>> I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better
>>> overnight?
>>>
>>> http://hvgf.org/

>> Steve Calvin who used to post here went every year, if I remember
>> right. I'm dying to go but it's not going to happen. Weekends in
>> the fall are taken.
>>
>> nancy

>Yes, Nancy, he's the friend I've e-mailed but haven't heard back yet.
>I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same Festival. He's
>a real garlic-growing expert!

I am going to try to make it up to the festival this year. There is
almost always something that gets in the way of my making it
there...this year it is prep for Yom Kippur.

We have been growing garlic the past few years and found it an
exceedingly easy crop. I enjoy the scapes in the spring, the freshly
dug bulbs in mid-summer and the usual dried cloves the rest of the
year.

I am hoping that if I make it to the festival, that I'll find some
unusual varieties to plant this fall.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better overnight?
>
> http://hvgf.org/

If you've never been you need to go once. There was no shade, port-a-pots,
crowded, expensive, long lines and honestly there wasn't anything all that
special for a 2nd trip. I did enjoy going once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Kswck wrote:
>>> I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better
>>> overnight?
>>>
>>> http://hvgf.org/

>> Steve Calvin who used to post here went every year, if I remember
>> right. I'm dying to go but it's not going to happen. Weekends in
>> the fall are taken.

> Yes, Nancy, he's the friend I've e-mailed but haven't heard back yet.
> I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same Festival. He's
> a real garlic-growing expert!

It's in Saugerties. I didn't know (or I've forgotten) that he grew
garlic.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> We have been growing garlic the past few years and found it an
> exceedingly easy crop. I enjoy the scapes in the spring, the freshly
> dug bulbs in mid-summer and the usual dried cloves the rest of the
> year.
>
> I am hoping that if I make it to the festival, that I'll find some
> unusual varieties to plant this fall.

I'm going to try to grow garlic again this year. Any advice on a
really garlicky hot type to try?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better overnight?
>
> http://hvgf.org/

Never been to the festival, but from 4 hours away, I'd make a weekend of it.
Travel up or down the Hudson a ways. Hyde Park, FDR library, West Point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 21:53:58 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> We have been growing garlic the past few years and found it an
>> exceedingly easy crop. I enjoy the scapes in the spring, the freshly
>> dug bulbs in mid-summer and the usual dried cloves the rest of the
>> year.
>>
>> I am hoping that if I make it to the festival, that I'll find some
>> unusual varieties to plant this fall.

>I'm going to try to grow garlic again this year. Any advice on a
>really garlicky hot type to try?
>
>nancy

Porcelain garlics - Romanian Red, Georgian Crystal, and similar are
usually quite fiery and strong.

I have not ordered any bulbs for planting in a few years, as we
re-plant the best of what we grow. I thought we might find something
wild and wonderful up in Kingston.

It might be hard to find unusual garlic now, as this is the time of
year it gets shipped and orders have been in for awhile. Google for
the types you want and you may get lucky. It isn't cheap to order, but
as I said, you only have to order once and then you can provide for
the next years' crops yourself.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 21:53:58 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> I'm going to try to grow garlic again this year. Any advice on a
>> really garlicky hot type to try?

> Porcelain garlics - Romanian Red, Georgian Crystal, and similar are
> usually quite fiery and strong.

Thanks! I'm going to order some now.

> I have not ordered any bulbs for planting in a few years, as we
> re-plant the best of what we grow. I thought we might find something
> wild and wonderful up in Kingston.

I hope you do. I'd love to hear about it.

> It might be hard to find unusual garlic now, as this is the time of
> year it gets shipped and orders have been in for awhile.

The first time I tried to order garlic, what I wanted was out of
stock. I didn't learn my lesson then, I have a short attention span
I guess.

> Google for
> the types you want and you may get lucky. It isn't cheap to order, but
> as I said, you only have to order once and then you can provide for
> the next years' crops yourself.

I appreciate the advice, thanks.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>>I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better overnight?
>>
>> http://hvgf.org/
>>

> I live about an hour's drive away but I've never been... if you click on
> the aerial view you'll see why... I hate crowds, no shade, and
> port-a-potties.

I don't disagree. But just to do it once.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>I live 4 hours away. Is it worth it for a day trip or better overnight?
>
> http://hvgf.org/

Thank you one and all for your responses.