Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How to start Weber kettle for MEDIUM direct cooking?

I know this is a grilling question, but hoping some might know the
answer.

I have a Weber Performer, which I can get blast furnace hot for normal
grilling in minutes. Setting it up for indirect cooking is dead
simple, too.

But there are a few occasions when I want to start the grill at medium
direct. That's when I envy my bretheren on their gassers. They just
turn the knob half-way.

I know that I have vents and ways of arranging/lighting charcoal
briquets at my disposal--I just don't know the technique.

Is there a tried and true method--"If you want to start your charcoal
grill at 300 or so degrees and keep it in that range, do this and
this"--that someone can recommend?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks! That makes sense. I'm looking for a method that will hold
that temp for 40 minutes or so. I'm guessing with reduced air flow
the briquets will actually burn longer, right?

Vents-- Are you saying lower vents or all vents? ( My kettle has
that "one touch" deal for the bottom vents.) I only ask this because I
keep hearing "never close the top vent on the WSM" and didn't know if
the same thinking applied to the kettle.

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:20:47 GMT, Mike Garner >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> I know this is a grilling question, but hoping some might know the
>> answer.
>>
>> I have a Weber Performer, which I can get blast furnace hot for normal
>> grilling in minutes. Setting it up for indirect cooking is dead
>> simple, too.
>>
>> But there are a few occasions when I want to start the grill at medium
>> direct. That's when I envy my bretheren on their gassers. They just
>> turn the knob half-way.

>Close your vents to about 1/2 way and use only enough charcoal for loose
>coverage over the charcoal grate. Take the temperature and experiment
>until you get it to where you want. Not hard once you get used to it.
>
>Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:20:47 GMT, Mike Garner >
> wrote:

>>> I know this is a grilling question, but hoping some might know the
>>> answer.
>>>
>>> I have a Weber Performer, which I can get blast furnace hot for normal
>>> grilling in minutes. Setting it up for indirect cooking is dead
>>> simple, too.
>>>
>>> But there are a few occasions when I want to start the grill at medium
>>> direct. That's when I envy my bretheren on their gassers. They just
>>> turn the knob half-way.

>>Close your vents to about 1/2 way and use only enough charcoal for loose
>>coverage over the charcoal grate. Take the temperature and experiment
>>until you get it to where you want. Not hard once you get used to it.
>>
>>Mike

> Thanks! That makes sense. I'm looking for a method that will hold
> that temp for 40 minutes or so. I'm guessing with reduced air flow
> the briquets will actually burn longer, right?
>
> Vents-- Are you saying lower vents or all vents? ( My kettle has
> that "one touch" deal for the bottom vents.) I only ask this because I
> keep hearing "never close the top vent on the WSM" and didn't know if
> the same thinking applied to the kettle.

Always keep the top vent wide open....you want the smoke to
escape....control temperature by adjusting the bottom vent(s).
--
DavidG-

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I use a steel basket on both sides to cook indirectly. I start with the
baskets nearer the center to sear, and after searing I move the baskets
laterally, and at that time adjust the vents to lower the heat temp.
Weber used to make a steel basket using the same steel as the grates. This
makes all of the above easier, and it takes much less charcoal. Those sheet
metal baskets are pretty worthless. If you can find the steel baskets at a
garage sale grab them.

Kent

"DavidG" <spamalot.hotmail.com> wrote in message
. ..

>>>Close your vents to about 1/2 way and use only enough charcoal for loose
>>>coverage over the charcoal grate. Take the temperature and experiment
>>>until you get it to where you want. Not hard once you get used to it.
>>>
>>>Mike

>> Thanks! That makes sense. I'm looking for a method that will hold
>> that temp for 40 minutes or so. I'm guessing with reduced air flow
>> the briquets will actually burn longer, right?
>>
>> Vents-- Are you saying lower vents or all vents? ( My kettle has
>> that "one touch" deal for the bottom vents.) I only ask this because I
>> keep hearing "never close the top vent on the WSM" and didn't know if
>> the same thinking applied to the kettle.

> Always keep the top vent wide open....you want the smoke to
> escape....control temperature by adjusting the bottom vent(s).
> --
> DavidG-

> http://www.usenet.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DavidG" <spamalot.hotmail.com> wrote in message
. ..

>>>Close your vents to about 1/2 way and use only enough charcoal for loose
>>>coverage over the charcoal grate. Take the temperature and experiment
>>>until you get it to where you want. Not hard once you get used to it.
>>>
>>>Mike

>> Thanks! That makes sense. I'm looking for a method that will hold
>> that temp for 40 minutes or so. I'm guessing with reduced air flow
>> the briquets will actually burn longer, right?
>>
>> Vents-- Are you saying lower vents or all vents? ( My kettle has
>> that "one touch" deal for the bottom vents.) I only ask this because I
>> keep hearing "never close the top vent on the WSM" and didn't know if
>> the same thinking applied to the kettle.

> Always keep the top vent wide open....you want the smoke to
> escape....control temperature by adjusting the bottom vent(s).
> --
> DavidG-

As usual I forgot something. While my method above strictly speaking is
indirect, you end up with a very hot indirect, depending on how you set the
baskets. At the beginning the baskets are in the midline, and then moved
laterally. This works well, for example, with a large 2-3 inch thick sirloin
that you want rare, and charred on the surface.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I was looking for DIRECT medium, which seems to be a tricky bird on
charcoal grills.

To your point though, I completely agree with you on those steel
baskets. They came standard with my Performer (older model). I think
Weber is retarded for discontinuing and I'll miss them if they ever
rust out....!

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:49:42 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>I use a steel basket on both sides to cook indirectly. I start with the
>baskets nearer the center to sear, and after searing I move the baskets
>laterally, and at that time adjust the vents to lower the heat temp.
>Weber used to make a steel basket using the same steel as the grates. This
>makes all of the above easier, and it takes much less charcoal. Those sheet
>metal baskets are pretty worthless. If you can find the steel baskets at a
>garage sale grab them.
>
>Kent
>
>"DavidG" <spamalot.hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks! That makes sense. I'm looking for a method that will hold
>>> that temp for 40 minutes or so. I'm guessing with reduced air flow
>>> the briquets will actually burn longer, right?
>>>
>>> Vents-- Are you saying lower vents or all vents? ( My kettle has
>>> that "one touch" deal for the bottom vents.) I only ask this because I
>>> keep hearing "never close the top vent on the WSM" and didn't know if
>>> the same thinking applied to the kettle.

>> Always keep the top vent wide open....you want the smoke to
>> escape....control temperature by adjusting the bottom vent(s).
>> --
>> DavidG-

>> ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
>> http://www.usenet.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default A foolish question

I've been thinking... a dangerous thing at best. Last night on the food
network Bobby Flay competed in their "Throwdown" show against a world
champion chili cook. (It was a tie, in a "blind" tasting. However, the
judges have been on the circuit since the late 1970's, and they should
have been able to recognize the champion's chili since they've certainly
seen it often enough before.)

Anyway, as usual on a food network show there was lots of talk of
layering flavors. Bobby Flay used 12 different fresh chillis.

So, let's get this back to barbecue. Has anyone made chili with
barbecued meat? How did it work out? Any tips you can share with the
curious?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike Avery wrote:

> So, let's get this back to barbecue. Has anyone made chili with
> barbecued meat? How did it work out? Any tips you can share with
> the curious?

Oh sure. I use smoked chuck roast as the base for chili sometimes. You
don't have to cook the roast as long as if you where going to eat it
right away, there's still cooking time to come in the chili.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike Avery wrote:

> I've been thinking... a dangerous thing at best. Last night on the food
> network Bobby Flay competed in their "Throwdown" show against a world
> champion chili cook. (It was a tie, in a "blind" tasting. However, the
> judges have been on the circuit since the late 1970's, and they should
> have been able to recognize the champion's chili since they've certainly
> seen it often enough before.)
>
> Anyway, as usual on a food network show there was lots of talk of
> layering flavors. Bobby Flay used 12 different fresh chillis.
>
> So, let's get this back to barbecue. Has anyone made chili with
> barbecued meat? How did it work out? Any tips you can share with the
> curious?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Brisket makes great chili.