Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default upright smokers

http://bbq.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...=http%3A%2F%2F
http://www.cookshack.com%2Findex.php...9%26pr%3DCommH
ome

How even is the heat in something like this from top to bottom? Anyone have
plans for building something like that at home? Thanks.
D.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
news3pkg.37826$IK3.23901@pd7tw1no...

http://bbq.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...=http%3A%2F%2F

http://www.cookshack.com%2Findex.php...9%26pr%3DCommH
> ome
>
> How even is the heat in something like this from top to bottom? Anyone

have
> plans for building something like that at home? Thanks.
> D.

Sorry about that link
http://www.bbqpits.com/36x36_upright.htm
how about that one? I'm looking at it thinking there is about 400 in steel
max, so I'd be saving about 7000 or more by making it myself. Can anyone
tell me at least what kind of steel to make something like this with? The
one in the picture doesn't seem to be stainless like the frist one posted.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> "Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> news3pkg.37826$IK3.23901@pd7tw1no...
>>

> http://bbq.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...=http%3A%2F%2F
>>

> http://www.cookshack.com%2Findex.php...9%26pr%3DCommH
>> ome
>>
>> How even is the heat in something like this from top to bottom? Anyone

> have
>> plans for building something like that at home? Thanks.
>> D.

> Sorry about that link
> http://www.bbqpits.com/36x36_upright.htm
> how about that one? I'm looking at it thinking there is about 400 in
> steel
> max, so I'd be saving about 7000 or more by making it myself. Can anyone
> tell me at least what kind of steel to make something like this with? The
> one in the picture doesn't seem to be stainless like the frist one posted.

Harry I build them all the time. But you ain't gonna get the steel for no
$400.00, unless you know somebody that has some they don't want.
Contact me off list and I will send you some pictures of the ones I do.--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> Sorry about that link
>> http://www.bbqpits.com/36x36_upright.htm
>> how about that one? I'm looking at it thinking there is about 400 in
>> steel
>> max, so I'd be saving about 7000 or more by making it myself. Can anyone
>> tell me at least what kind of steel to make something like this with?
>> The
>> one in the picture doesn't seem to be stainless like the frist one
>> posted.

My guess is you are way under at $400 for the right material. Klose uses
1/4" steel on his pits. While I've not kept up with prices, it has
skyrocketed in the past couple of years. You can use thinner material, but
they you don't have the same heat retention qualities.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> >> Sorry about that link
> >> http://www.bbqpits.com/36x36_upright.htm
> >> how about that one? I'm looking at it thinking there is about 400 in
> >> steel
> >> max, so I'd be saving about 7000 or more by making it myself. Can anyone
> >> tell me at least what kind of steel to make something like this with?
> >> The
> >> one in the picture doesn't seem to be stainless like the frist one
> >> posted.

> My guess is you are way under at $400 for the right material. Klose uses
> 1/4" steel on his pits. While I've not kept up with prices, it has
> skyrocketed in the past couple of years. You can use thinner material, but
> they you don't have the same heat retention qualities.

The shipping weight for that pit should roughly equal the cost of the
steel in it.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pete C." > wrote in message

anyone

> > My guess is you are way under at $400 for the right material. Klose

uses
> > 1/4" steel on his pits. While I've not kept up with prices, it has
> > skyrocketed in the past couple of years. You can use thinner material,

but
> > they you don't have the same heat retention qualities.

> The shipping weight for that pit should roughly equal the cost of the
> steel in it.
>
> Pete C.

Ah you guys are right, had no idea he uses 1/4 steel! I'm going with 1/8th
steel for most of it. I think I've found a 5x10 foot sheet for free!! Might
not be all I need but a damn good start. Also I'm going smaller then 36x36,
probably 36x24deep and 5 feet tall for the main chamber. Will report how
things go if I can get this steel soon.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> Ah you guys are right, had no idea he uses 1/4 steel! I'm going with
> 1/8th
> steel for most of it. I think I've found a 5x10 foot sheet for free!!
> Might
> not be all I need but a damn good start. Also I'm going smaller then
> 36x36,
> probably 36x24deep and 5 feet tall for the main chamber. Will report how
> things go if I can get this steel soon.

You should still get a decent piece of equipment with 1/8". Mine is 18 x
18 by maybe 36 or 40 inches (picture on my web page). Adequate for small
gatherings. Considering the price of your material, go for it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> > Ah you guys are right, had no idea he uses 1/4 steel! I'm going with
> > 1/8th
> > steel for most of it. I think I've found a 5x10 foot sheet for free!!
> > Might
> > not be all I need but a damn good start. Also I'm going smaller then
> > 36x36,
> > probably 36x24deep and 5 feet tall for the main chamber. Will report how
> > things go if I can get this steel soon.
> >

> You should still get a decent piece of equipment with 1/8". Mine is 18 x
> 18 by maybe 36 or 40 inches (picture on my web page). Adequate for small
> gatherings. Considering the price of your material, go for it.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Consider an insulated design with the 1/8" just for the firebox
components and the smoke chamber in something like 22ga double wall with
an inch of high temp insulation between. I'm planning on building
something similar eventually.

Pete C.