Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Upright Smokers???

On Mar 3, 1:29*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Unless it overflows, in which case you may get some drama. I'm presuming you
> have a sand heatsink in the water pan under the foil, so there is limited
> space for the fat.

There is, but there is enough. I trim my briskets to about 1/4 fat
all around as I see no point in "renedering" the meat, nor cooking
just plain fat.

Butts.... they get seasoned, and tossed in.

I haven't had a problem yet, and I use sand with HD foil over it. The
trick is to leave the sand about an inch low in the pan, and push the
foil down into the depression. Works like a champ.

On a really long smoke of something like brisket which will quit
dripping several hours in, the fat in the pan will finally cook out
and dry up, needing to replace only the foil at the end of the cook
with no mess at all.

On a shorter smoke, I wad up a handful of paper towels and put them in
the grease filled depression, then fold the foil around them to
remove.

So far, so good. No problemos.

Robert

Win a $4,299 Upright Cooker [email protected] General Cooking 2 12-04-2009 03:19 AM
Upright Smokers??? Janet Wilder[_3_] Barbecue 134 11-03-2009 02:08 AM
Adventures in Upright Smoking. Janet Wilder[_3_] Barbecue 45 09-03-2009 08:06 AM
upright smokers Dirty Harry Barbecue 7 17-06-2006 02:04 AM
Upright Freezer found! Rick & Cyndi Cooking Equipment 24 05-10-2003 01:12 PM