Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ Quiz: What to do with fire, but no grate

Chef Juke wrote:
snip
> And as everyone knows, warming up cue, even when done well, just isn't
> the same as right off the smoker..

> -Chef Juke

Sooo true!
--
Regards,

Piedmont
The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy? Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence
in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 May 2006 12:04:36 -0400, "D.Reid" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Can you dig a hole where you'll be? Just treat the butts like a small

> whole
>> >hog and wrap them in heavy duty tin foil and bury them in the ground.
>> >Not
>> >deep...maybe 2 or three inches of soil on top then build a fire on top
>> >of
>> >the ground (over where the butts are buried). If you feel funny about
>> >setting the wrapped butts in the dirt line the bottom of the hole with

> tin
>> >foil.

>> If you're going to go to the trouble of digging a hole, why not make
>> an oven? Dig the hole and line it with large flat rocks. Build a hot
>> fire in the hole to heat the rocks. When the fire dies down, add
>> foil-wrapped butts. Cover with a layer of rocks (preferably heated),
>> then dirt. Build a fire on top of the "oven."
>>
>> If you leave the butts unattended overnight, don't come crying to me
>> if some critter decides to sample them. I once lost a whole chicken to
>> a skunk that way.

> Kevin's right. Hawaiian style. Line a pit with rocks, make a fire and
> let
> the rocks heat the food. Thing is, the food really ends up steamed rather
> than smoked, because you have to wrap the food in foil.

Or banana leaves . . .

--Rich

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey friends,
>
> Been kinda busy and hectic around my parts, and what with all of the
> Alton Brown/KSW/Whatever flamewars, I haven't been paying too much
> attention to the group as of late.
>
> But here's a question for ya.
>
> Got 60 lbs of boston butt that I'm taking to a campout. Will only
> have a firepit and lots of oak to cook with. Maybe not even a grate
> over said pit.
>
> Given that situation, how would you suggest cooking these butts?
>
> Here are some thoughts that came into my head...
>
> 1) Cook the wood down to coals and then figure a way to half-wrap the
> butts in foil and drop in.
>
> 2) See if we can't find some weber grates and jury rig them over fire
> burned down to coals.
>
> 3)????
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

What about fire in one end or corner, with meat in the opposite end or
corner, and cover the whole deal with a big piece of tin? Some holes
in the tin would allow venting.

I am thinking of the sheets that they use for roofing.