Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How Ribeye's are Marketed

I think the vendor can call it anything he wants to.
Everywhere in California the chateaubriand is the sirloin. Everywhere in the
rest of the world the chateaubriand is the center of the tenderloin, sold as
a "roast" of sorts about 6 inches in length. It's amazing that many butchers
don't even know this.
Kent

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>A "Rib Eye" is a rib steak from the small end of the [prime] rib
> roast, rib #'s 10-12.
>
> A "Rib Steak" is a rib steak from the large end of the [prime] rib
> roast, rib #'s 6-9.
>
> But in the grocery stores (especially when they're on sale), I see
> rib steaks labeled as ribeye's that clearly came from every part
> of the rib roast, small and large.
>
> Today I went to a "real" butcher, so "real" that the health
> department requires that the meat be handled only in a dedicated
> room not accessible to the public (something about because they
> also do wholesole). They can't display the meat in the same room
> as the customers. You can watch them work through a window,
> though.
>
> You place your order with the "receptionist" in the waiting room:
> specify type of animal, cut, grade, thickness, etc... They
> forward the order to the cutters and maybe 10 minutes later
> (depending on how busy they are), you get your meat all wrapped up
> with your bill and pay the receptionist.
>
> I ordered two Choice "ribeyes" 1.5" thick ($14/lb). When I got
> home I noticed these were from the large end as opposed to the
> small end, which really got me mad as I always insist on the small
> ends. Usually I'd be able to point and choose , but that's not
> possible at this place. These being professional meat guys, I
> figured I wouldn't need to be redundant and specify "ribeye, from
> the small end".
>
> Are meat purveyors required to abide by the USDA established terms
> "ribeye" and "rib steak"? I couldn't find anything obvious on the
> USDA website. The Guide to Meat Cuts will probably back up my
> impression of these two different cuts, but are they required to
> market using these terms?
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:28:31 -0800, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>>I think the vendor can call it anything he wants to.
>>Everywhere in California the chateaubriand is the sirloin. Everywhere in
>>the
>>rest of the world the chateaubriand is the center of the tenderloin, sold
>>as
>>a "roast" of sorts about 6 inches in length.

> I got a USDA Prime 10" chateaubriand at P&W on Almaden Expressway
> 18 months ago.
>
> In most cases, retailers must adhere to the standard names given
> to cuts of meats as specified by the USDA. They will exceptions
> for common things such as "London Broil" which can come from
> several parts of the cow.
>
> Chateaubriand is a recipe, like London Broil. The actual cut of
> meat may vary in some markets, but all I can find on the USDA site
> is IMPS/NAMP 189/192, from the tenderloin.
>
> As for the ribeye's, I was mistaken in my assumption about what is
> supposed to be what as the USDA has pretty much defined where a
> ribeye comes from (which is a broader definition that I thought).
>
> -sw

How much per pound did you pay for USDA prime tenderloin?
Just curious. I'm sure all of us would be interested, and depressing.
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 09:28:54 -0800, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>> How much per pound did you pay for USDA prime tenderloin?
>> Just curious. I'm sure all of us would be interested, and depressing.
>> Kent

> The PW prime chateaubriand was $18. Here in Austin, prime
> tenderloin currently goes for $16 (as steaks).

Most of the tenderloin around here is select. I've seen choice once in a
great while. I don't think I've ever seen prime tenderloin offered for
sale in a grocery store.

Matthew

--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:28:31 -0800, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>

>>I think the vendor can call it anything he wants to.
>>Everywhere in California the chateaubriand is the sirloin. Everywhere in the
>>rest of the world the chateaubriand is the center of the tenderloin, sold as
>>a "roast" of sorts about 6 inches in length.

> I got a USDA Prime 10" chateaubriand at P&W on Almaden Expressway
> 18 months ago.
>
> In most cases, retailers must adhere to the standard names given
> to cuts of meats as specified by the USDA. They will exceptions
> for common things such as "London Broil" which can come from
> several parts of the cow.
>
> Chateaubriand is a recipe, like London Broil.

I must agree with the Sqwertz on this matter. At any rate, it doesn't
matter where it comes from........

Chateaubriand - Chateaubriand is a recipe, not a cut of meat. It was
created by the chef of Francois Rene Vicomte de Chateaubriand
(1768-1848) French author and statesman.

Sources differ on the important details of this recipe:

Most say it was originally cut from the thickest part of the beef
tenderloin, but several state that it was originally cut from the sirloin.
Some say it was one very thick cut of beef, seared on the outside and
rare on the inside.
Others state that the thick steak (filet or sirloin) was cooked between
two inferior steaks to enhance its flavor and juiciness. The inferior
steaks were cooked until well charred, then discarded.
Most state that it was originally served with Bernaise sauce, but some
say the sauce was made with reduced white wine, shallots, demi-glace,
butter and lemon juice.

It is generally agreed the steak was served with chateau potatoes (small
olive shaped pieces of potato sautéed until browned).

--
TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 22:52:48 -0600, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> > I was surprised to see Prime fillets at HEB here for only $16(.99)
> > a few weeks ago.

> More prices on Prime in Austin: Boneless ribeye is $9.99,

That's a particularly good price. It wouldn't be a bad one for
supermarket beef, which is certainly not prime.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2006 18:16:48 GMT, "Default User"
> > wrote:

> > That's a particularly good price. It wouldn't be a bad one for
> > supermarket beef, which is certainly not prime.

> This is supermarket beef. Select ribeyes at the same store are
> going for $6.88, though that fluctuates more.

I'm surprised. I don't think our local ones carry prime, although I
don't know that I've ever asked.

> Not a hard decision when there's only a $3 price difference.

I would say so.

Brian
won't shut up.