Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Spatchcocked a chicken

I brined a bird today and spatchcocked it tonight after taking it out
of the brine. I will now let the skin dry overnight in the fridge
uncovered, as I've been told. I'd like to smoke this chicken, and get
a crisp skin. I think I've got all my bases covered here. I'm
planning on cooking indirect with hickory for the smoke. I'm gonna
pull it off at 160 degrees in the breast. Any last minute
suggestions/tips for someone doing this for the first time?

Also. My father in law cracked me up today. I told him I was gonna
spatchcock and chicken and he said, "Oh yeah? I'm gonna bitchslap a
sirloin". Made me laugh anyway

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ok I'll do that. I thought thats why I was drying the skin in the
fridge after the brine though?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Please quote per the usual netiquette that's been part of newsgroups
> for decades. See information below.
>
> Please quote enough of the previous message for context. To do so from
> Google, click "show options" and use the Reply shown in the expanded
> header.

Will do that from now on.

Thanks for the response too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On 4 Mar 2006 21:14:40 -0800, wrote:
>
>> I brined a bird today and spatchcocked it tonight after taking it out
>> of the brine. I will now let the skin dry overnight in the fridge
>> uncovered, as I've been told. I'd like to smoke this chicken, and get
>> a crisp skin. I think I've got all my bases covered here. I'm
>> planning on cooking indirect with hickory for the smoke. I'm gonna
>> pull it off at 160 degrees in the breast. Any last minute
>> suggestions/tips for someone doing this for the first time?
>>
>> Also. My father in law cracked me up today. I told him I was gonna
>> spatchcock and chicken and he said, "Oh yeah? I'm gonna bitchslap a
>> sirloin". Made me laugh anyway

> I don't bother anymore with the brining etc. when spatching dead
> birds.

Just how successful have you been spatchcocking live birds?

> I grill them [350F] and start them skin side towards the flame for the
> 1st 10 minutes & then flip. A 4 lb bird may go to 40 minutes from the
> get-go.

I always do them skin side up and I don't bother with a 4 lb bird. I
just put an 8 lb spatchcocked chicken on my K7. It will probably take
about 1 1/4 hours.

> I prep the bird by scoring the 'inside' [it's the same film as in
> ribs], and applying my seasoning there. I then paint it all with all
> with EVOO & apply S, P & garlic to the 'outside'. I get crisp skin,
> moist meat, good flavour. [The usual rules apply - rest it etc].

Yeah, what he said.

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB