Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default "Korean" spatchcocked chicken

Bought a nice plump whole chicken, about 4 lbs., at the market on
sale for .99 a pound. I wanted to do something a little different
with it. I had bought some Gochujang for bulgogi and I though about
doing a marinade and cooking the chicken in it.

Marinade:

2 generous T Gochujang (get it at an Asian market, I like the Brand:
**원 (Chung Jung Won) the labels are in Korean so you have to ask
sometimes..)
1 tsp smoked paprika (I didn't have any ground Korean red pepper so I
substituted) if you want it hotter and spicier use Sambal.
2 T soy sauce
2 T honey
3 large cloves garlic - through a garlic press and smushed
2 tsp sesame oil
2 T Mirin

I trimmed and spatchcocked the chicken and put it in a heavy plastic
bag and poured
the marinade over it and put it in the fridge for overnight.

Tomorrow I'm going to cook it...on the grill if it's not raining,
otherwise in the oven.

I'll post pictures and let you know how it comes out.
I'm sitting here typing this and craving it now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 15:13:26 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>Bought a nice plump whole chicken, about 4 lbs., at the market on
>sale for .99 a pound. I wanted to do something a little different
>with it. I had bought some Gochujang for bulgogi and I though about
>doing a marinade and cooking the chicken in it.
>
>Marinade:
>
>2 generous T Gochujang (get it at an Asian market, I like the Brand:
>??? (Chung Jung Won) the labels are in Korean so you have to ask
>sometimes..)
>1 tsp smoked paprika (I didn't have any ground Korean red pepper so I
>substituted) if you want it hotter and spicier use Sambal.
>2 T soy sauce
>2 T honey
>3 large cloves garlic - through a garlic press and smushed
>2 tsp sesame oil
>2 T Mirin
>
>I trimmed and spatchcocked the chicken and put it in a heavy plastic
>bag and poured
>the marinade over it and put it in the fridge for overnight.
>
>Tomorrow I'm going to cook it...on the grill if it's not raining,
>otherwise in the oven.
>
>I'll post pictures and let you know how it comes out.
>I'm sitting here typing this and craving it now.

I've no idea about Gochujang and how it tastes but I'd add some citrus
to your marinade, it needs acid; a half cup OJ and/or a couple three
Tbls orange marmalade will work... or a half cup pineapple juice.
Hmm, looks like the Koreans hijacked Gochujang from the Mayan Recardo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gochujang
http://www.belizeans.com/forums/show...ardo-and-pipil
If not for the foods from the Americas the rest of the world would
still be eating shit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2011 8:54 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 15:13:26 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> Bought a nice plump whole chicken, about 4 lbs., at the market on
>> sale for .99 a pound. I wanted to do something a little different
>> with it. I had bought some Gochujang for bulgogi and I though about
>> doing a marinade and cooking the chicken in it.
>>
>> Marinade:
>>
>> 2 generous T Gochujang (get it at an Asian market, I like the Brand:
>> ??? (Chung Jung Won) the labels are in Korean so you have to ask
>> sometimes..)
>> 1 tsp smoked paprika (I didn't have any ground Korean red pepper so I
>> substituted) if you want it hotter and spicier use Sambal.
>> 2 T soy sauce
>> 2 T honey
>> 3 large cloves garlic - through a garlic press and smushed
>> 2 tsp sesame oil
>> 2 T Mirin
>>
>> I trimmed and spatchcocked the chicken and put it in a heavy plastic
>> bag and poured
>> the marinade over it and put it in the fridge for overnight.
>>
>> Tomorrow I'm going to cook it...on the grill if it's not raining,
>> otherwise in the oven.
>>
>> I'll post pictures and let you know how it comes out.
>> I'm sitting here typing this and craving it now.

> I've no idea about Gochujang and how it tastes but I'd add some citrus
> to your marinade, it needs acid; a half cup OJ and/or a couple three

Bulgogi is traditionally made using a long marinade time without acid.
Too bad the 10s of millions who make it without acid didn't know they
were doing it wrong?

> Tbls orange marmalade will work... or a half cup pineapple juice.
> Hmm, looks like the Koreans hijacked Gochujang from the Mayan Recardo.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gochujang
> http://www.belizeans.com/forums/show...ardo-and-pipil
> If not for the foods from the Americas the rest of the world would
> still be eating shit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 24, 3:13*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

Well, it's a VERY blustery day here so I decided I didn't want to fool
with the grill so I roasted the Korean
chicken in the oven.

Preheated the oven to 450 and started the chicken breast side down for
20 minutes.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...88845205216498

Then I turned it breast side up , turned the oven down to 375 and
roasted it for another 30 minutes.
I basted it about three or four times to make sure I got plenty of
good flavor and glaze on it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...88875921971378

I bought the gochujang in the green tub, which means it was
'medium'. I think next time I would actually
like the chicken with a bit more heat. I'll add srirachca or hot
pepper flakes to the marinade next time.

Don't get me wrong, this is really really delicious, I just wanted a
bit more heat.....a dab or sriracha fixed
it !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2011 2:56 AM, George wrote:

> Bulgogi is traditionally made using a long marinade time without acid.
> Too bad the 10s of millions who make it without acid didn't know they
> were doing it wrong?

Koreans will add a unusual ingredient to bulgogi marinade: grated Korean
pear. This adds an elements of sweetness and acid but my understanding
is that it somehow tenderizes the meat. The fruit may contain enzymes
that break down the meat which traditionally, is shredded by slicing
very thinly. The bulgogi we're used to here is typically made for
grilling and is not shredded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/27/2011 3:14 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I've made the following often or a close facsimile thereof and called
> it Chinese stirfly beef... I see not a whit of difference between my
> Chinese version(s) and yoose so-called Korean version(s)... I'm
> positive there are as many versions of "bulgogi as there are Koreans
> who cook bulgogi.
> http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/07/m...arbequed-beef/

Haha so what else is new? :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/27/2011 11:00 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> I have a bulgogi recipe that calls for a piece of kiwi fruit to
> tenderize the meat. It works.

It sure does. I read about a popular club in Waikiki that used to layer
their steaks with green papaya and let that sit for a while to tenderize
the meat. It was a pretty good recollection of Hawaii during WWII.

Oddly enough, the enzyme derived from the papaya, called "papain" is a
popular ingredient in meat tenderizer. I sometimes use fresh pineapple
in marinade but the truth his that meat these days should hardly ever
need to be treated in this way.