Posted to alt.food.barbecue
pumpkin

Default HELP! New Gas Grill Will Not Light...

I'm hoping that somebody can help me out here. I bought a new
CharBroil Advantage Series gas grill from Lowe's as a Christmas gift
for my mother. The grill in question is 45,000 BTUs and has three
burners, plus a side burner/griddle.

Last night, I spent six hours assembling the grill and then went out
and bought a 20lb. canister of propane today. Hooked up the propane as
per the instructions and did the leak check. We then proceeded to try
to ignite the grill.

Long story short, the three burners will not ignite. The electrode
does spark, and appears to be properly aligned with one of the
portholes in the burner.

At first, we assumed there was something wrong with the connection
between the propane canister and the regulator. However, when we tried
lighting the burner - which runs off an extension of the main propane
line/pipe - it lights up just fine. We also tried lighting the grill
using the match method and did not get any results.

At this point, I am baffled. I don't see how the side burner could be
lighting, yet the main burners won't light. The propane must travel
through the same line that feeds the main burners in order to get to
the side burner.

I'm hoping that there are some experienced grillers and/or grill
assembers out there. I spent more than $300 on this grill and I'm
heading back home (8 hours away) tomorrow. I hate the idea of spending
that kind of money only to leave my mother with a giant paperweight.
Char-Broil's customer service number has been useless thus far.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave

pumpkin wrote:
> I'm hoping that somebody can help me out here. I bought a new
> CharBroil Advantage Series gas grill from Lowe's as a Christmas gift
> for my mother. The grill in question is 45,000 BTUs and has three
> burners, plus a side burner/griddle.
>
> Last night, I spent six hours assembling the grill and then went out
> and bought a 20lb. canister of propane today. Hooked up the propane as
> per the instructions and did the leak check. We then proceeded to try
> to ignite the grill.
>
> Long story short, the three burners will not ignite. The electrode
> does spark, and appears to be properly aligned with one of the
> portholes in the burner.
>
> At first, we assumed there was something wrong with the connection
> between the propane canister and the regulator. However, when we tried
> lighting the burner - which runs off an extension of the main propane
> line/pipe - it lights up just fine. We also tried lighting the grill
> using the match method and did not get any results.
>
> At this point, I am baffled. I don't see how the side burner could be
> lighting, yet the main burners won't light. The propane must travel
> through the same line that feeds the main burners in order to get to
> the side burner.
>
> I'm hoping that there are some experienced grillers and/or grill
> assembers out there. I spent more than $300 on this grill and I'm
> heading back home (8 hours away) tomorrow. I hate the idea of spending
> that kind of money only to leave my mother with a giant paperweight.
> Char-Broil's customer service number has been useless thus far.
>
> Thanks!

with out knowing all the details of that grill, Do you need to hold down
the gas knobs when lighting? my grill has a deep fat fryer instead of a
side burner and to light it I have to hold the knob down while pressing
the ignitor. Just a thought
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jack Sloan

"Dave" > wrote in message
> pumpkin wrote:
> > I'm hoping that somebody can help me out here. I bought a new
> > CharBroil Advantage Series gas grill from Lowe's as a Christmas gift
> > for my mother. The grill in question is 45,000 BTUs and has three
> > burners, plus a side burner/griddle.
> >
> > Last night, I spent six hours assembling the grill and then went out
> > and bought a 20lb. canister of propane today. Hooked up the propane as
> > per the instructions and did the leak check. We then proceeded to try
> > to ignite the grill.
> >
> > Long story short, the three burners will not ignite. The electrode
> > does spark, and appears to be properly aligned with one of the
> > portholes in the burner.
> >
> > At first, we assumed there was something wrong with the connection
> > between the propane canister and the regulator. However, when we tried
> > lighting the burner - which runs off an extension of the main propane
> > line/pipe - it lights up just fine. We also tried lighting the grill
> > using the match method and did not get any results.
> >
> > At this point, I am baffled. I don't see how the side burner could be
> > lighting, yet the main burners won't light. The propane must travel
> > through the same line that feeds the main burners in order to get to
> > the side burner.
> >
> > I'm hoping that there are some experienced grillers and/or grill
> > assembers out there. I spent more than $300 on this grill and I'm
> > heading back home (8 hours away) tomorrow. I hate the idea of spending
> > that kind of money only to leave my mother with a giant paperweight.
> > Char-Broil's customer service number has been useless thus far.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> with out knowing all the details of that grill, Do you need to hold down
> the gas knobs when lighting? my grill has a deep fat fryer instead of a
> side burner and to light it I have to hold the knob down while pressing
> the ignitor. Just a thought

1. Turn off the valve at the bottle
2. open the valves on the cooker burners
3. wait a few seconds.
4. close the valves on the cooker burners
5. Turn on the valve at the bottle
6. open one of the valves on the cooker burner to full...listen for the
sparker thing and open the rest of the valves lighting them.
When finished cooking turn off the valve at the bottle FIRST then proceed
turning off the burners.
Just be sure you always turn on the bottle first when lighting.
Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:33:34 GMT, Dave >
wrote:

>pumpkin wrote:
>> I'm hoping that somebody can help me out here. I bought a new
>> CharBroil Advantage Series gas grill from Lowe's as a Christmas gift
>> for my mother. The grill in question is 45,000 BTUs and has three
>> burners, plus a side burner/griddle.
>>
>> Last night, I spent six hours assembling the grill and then went out
>> and bought a 20lb. canister of propane today. Hooked up the propane as
>> per the instructions and did the leak check. We then proceeded to try
>> to ignite the grill.
>>
>> Long story short, the three burners will not ignite. The electrode
>> does spark, and appears to be properly aligned with one of the
>> portholes in the burner.
>>
>> At first, we assumed there was something wrong with the connection
>> between the propane canister and the regulator. However, when we tried
>> lighting the burner - which runs off an extension of the main propane
>> line/pipe - it lights up just fine. We also tried lighting the grill
>> using the match method and did not get any results.
>>
>> At this point, I am baffled. I don't see how the side burner could be
>> lighting, yet the main burners won't light. The propane must travel
>> through the same line that feeds the main burners in order to get to
>> the side burner.
>>
>> I'm hoping that there are some experienced grillers and/or grill
>> assembers out there. I spent more than $300 on this grill and I'm
>> heading back home (8 hours away) tomorrow. I hate the idea of spending
>> that kind of money only to leave my mother with a giant paperweight.
>> Char-Broil's customer service number has been useless thus far.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>with out knowing all the details of that grill, Do you need to hold down
>the gas knobs when lighting? my grill has a deep fat fryer instead of a
>side burner and to light it I have to hold the knob down while pressing
>the ignitor. Just a thought

A gas grill with a deep-fat fryer? Yikes. Sounds like a recipe for
disaster.

To the OP:

I thought at first that your problem has something to do with the
overfill protection device (OPD) on the tanks, but I can't figure out
how one burner would light but not the others. Anyway, try this:

BEGIN END REPOST REPAST RESPITE

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:03:38 -0400
From: "Matthew L. Martin" >
Newsgroups: alt.food.barbecue
Subject: New LP Tank Problem

Dave Skipper wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance as I'm seeking experts here for a quick solution to
> my problem. My new upgraded LP tank us not exiting gas at the rate it
> should be, thus, I'm not getting high heat.
>
> I know there is a valve or something to tinker with. Any helpers?
> FAQ'S somewhere?
>
> I do own a charcoal grill too. I like having both ; )
>

>If you mean an OPD equipped tank, try this:

Turn every valve off starting at the end of the line and work your way
back to the tank. Open the tank valve slowly. Then open the valves you
need open from the closest to the tank to the ones furthest away.

It works for me:-)

Matthew

END REPOST REPAST RESPITE
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On 26 Dec 2005 12:47:09 -0800, "pumpkin" >
wrote:

>I'm hoping that somebody can help me out here. I bought a new
>CharBroil Advantage Series gas grill from Lowe's as a Christmas gift
>for my mother. The grill in question is 45,000 BTUs and has three
>burners, plus a side burner/griddle.
>
>Last night, I spent six hours assembling the grill and then went out
>and bought a 20lb. canister of propane today. Hooked up the propane as
>per the instructions and did the leak check. We then proceeded to try
>to ignite the grill.

SIX?? hours?

>Long story short, the three burners will not ignite. The electrode
>does spark, and appears to be properly aligned with one of the
>portholes in the burner.
>
>At first, we assumed there was something wrong with the connection
>between the propane canister and the regulator. However, when we tried
>lighting the burner - which runs off an extension of the main propane
>line/pipe - it lights up just fine. We also tried lighting the grill
>using the match method and did not get any results.

Looking at the manual (assuming you have model # 463453305), I wonder
about step 10. That's where you mount the console assembly and
connect the valves into the burner tubes. Looks like that's the spot
where one might not get the fuel to properly feed to the burners.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
robrjt

Moron Wislon is wrong again, on both counts.

Deep fat frying is ONLY done outside on the side burner of my weber.
No odors, fire danger, or oil splatters in the kitchen.

OPD is not "Overfill Protection Device", it is Overfill Prevention
Device. Know what the acronym is before using it.

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> [...]

> BEGIN END REPOST REPAST RESPITE

> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:03:38 -0400
> From: "Matthew L. Martin" >
> Newsgroups: alt.food.barbecue
> Subject: New LP Tank Problem
>
> Dave Skipper wrote:
> > Pardon my ignorance as I'm seeking experts here for a quick solution to
> > my problem. My new upgraded LP tank us not exiting gas at the rate it
> > should be, thus, I'm not getting high heat.
> >
> > I know there is a valve or something to tinker with. Any helpers?
> > FAQ'S somewhere?
> >
> > I do own a charcoal grill too. I like having both ; )
> >

> >If you mean an OPD equipped tank, try this:

> Turn every valve off starting at the end of the line and work your way
> back to the tank. Open the tank valve slowly. Then open the valves you
> need open from the closest to the tank to the ones furthest away.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On 26 Dec 2005 19:21:52 -0800, "robrjt" > wrote:

> Know what the acronym is before using it.

FOAD.

How's that, Chuckles?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On 26 Dec 2005 19:21:52 -0800, "robrjt" > wrote:

>Deep fat frying is ONLY done outside on the side burner of my weber.
>No odors, fire danger, or oil splatters in the kitchen.

Is "in the kitchen" meant to apply to the entire preceding list, or
only to 'oil splatters'? Cos if you're using other burners at the
same time as the deep frying, there's definitely fire danger.

Note that when using a properly-designed deep fat fryer inside there
are no splatters or odors inside--and damn little fire danger.

I see you still haven't learnt how to post properly.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
robrjt

Does you mom know you type like that?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On 27 Dec 2005 14:56:16 -0800, "robrjt" > wrote:

>Does you mom know you type like that?

You don't really understand how the Usernet (tm) works, do you?

Here's a big, fat clue fresh from the clue oven: Nobody can tell who
you're talking to or what the hell you're talking about. Can you
figure out why?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Krueger

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On 26 Dec 2005 19:21:52 -0800, "robrjt" > wrote:
>

>>Know what the acronym is before using it.

> FOAD.
>
> How's that, Chuckles?

Typical.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Krueger

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On 27 Dec 2005 14:56:16 -0800, "robrjt" > wrote:
>

>>Does you mom know you type like that?

> You don't really understand how the Usernet (tm) works, do you?
>
> Here's a big, fat clue fresh from the clue oven: Nobody can tell who
> you're talking to or what the hell you're talking about. Can you
> figure out why?

For another example, see Kevin's last post:

On 26 Dec 2005 19:21:52 -0800, "robrjt" > wrote:

>> Know what the acronym is before using it.

FOAD.

How's that, Chuckles?

Now you can tell what this was about, right?

No? That's because our hero has done EXACTLY what you did, but in his
case it was for some weak self preservation. Here is the original post:

Moron Wislon is wrong again, on both counts.

Deep fat frying is ONLY done outside on the side burner of my weber.
No odors, fire danger, or oil splatters in the kitchen.

OPD is not "Overfill Protection Device", it is Overfill Prevention
Device. Know what the acronym is before using it.

Ouch! This is why our hero decided to do some fancy snipping. He is
desperately trying to look cool when he is called on the carpet.
Unfortunately for him, he's not very good at looking cool under many
circumstances - including skool photos.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike \Piedmont\

pumpkin wrote:
snip
> Long story short, the three burners will not ignite. The electrode
> does spark, and appears to be properly aligned with one of the
> portholes in the burner.

snip
> Thanks!

Pumpkin!
This is a sure sign from the Q-Gawds that you have sinned, you must take
the gazzer back for a full refund and purchase a charcoal fired cooker!
Mike "Piedmont"