Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bk

Default rib question

Will be doing some baby backs for Sunday. Is there a benifit to tuning and
flipping or better to leave them alone until their done?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg

bk wrote:

> Will be doing some baby backs for Sunday. Is there a benifit to tuning and
> flipping or better to leave them alone until their done?

Once I tried cooking two racks side by side, one bone up and one
bone down. They turned out indistinguishable from each other.
After that I never gave a thought to flipping.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

"bk" > wrote in message
> Will be doing some baby backs for Sunday. Is there a benifit to tuning and
> flipping or better to leave them alone until their done?

Flipping serves a most important purpose. It makes you feel as though you
are controlling the process and you can impress the guests that you know
what you are doing. .

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Matthew L. Martin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "bk" > wrote in message
>
>>Will be doing some baby backs for Sunday. Is there a benifit to tuning and
>>flipping or better to leave them alone until their done?

> Flipping serves a most important purpose. It makes you feel as though you
> are controlling the process and you can impress the guests that you know
> what you are doing. .

And it increased cooking time with no benefit.

Matthew

--
There had better be horses and ponies in heaven, or the god I
don't believe is going to get her butt kicked big time.

-- TeaLady (mari) on ARK
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message

> And it increased cooking time with no benefit.
>
> Matthew

Matter of opinion. Some would say more time to drink beer.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

bk wrote:
> Will be doing some baby backs for Sunday. Is there a benifit to tuning and
> flipping or better to leave them alone until their done?

Put 'em on, close it up and leave 'em the *ell alone 'till done. ;-)

--
Steve

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than just one night"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

On 12-Nov-2005, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> bk" > wrote in message
> > Will be doing some baby backs for Sunday. Is there a benifit to tuning and
> > flipping or better to leave them alone until their done?

> Flipping serves a most important purpose. It makes you feel as though you
> are controlling the process and you can impress the guests that you know
> what you are doing. .

ROTFLMAO! I'm kind of proud that during my learning process, that didn't take
as long as fire control did. I have to confess though, that stuff close to my firebox
sometimes gets done before stuff at the opposite end. In that case, I take out the
done stuff and move the rest next to the firebox. I guess that means I'm guilty of
moving stuff around. So, poison me with some extra Jack Daniels.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike \Piedmont\

bk wrote:
> Will be doing some baby backs for Sunday. Is there a benifit to tuning and
> flipping or better to leave them alone until their done?

It depends if you are cooking direct or indirect. If you posted
previously the type of cooker you use,I apologize for not remembering.
If you are cooking directly over coals, I would flip and mop as needed,
but if cooking indirect, no way would I flip, nor mop.

--
Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msn
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bk

"Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
> bk wrote:
>> Will be doing some baby backs for Sunday. Is there a benifit to tuning
>> and flipping or better to leave them alone until their done?

> It depends if you are cooking direct or indirect. If you posted previously
> the type of cooker you use,I apologize for not remembering. If you are
> cooking directly over coals, I would flip and mop as needed, but if
> cooking indirect, no way would I flip, nor mop.
>
> --
> Regards, Mike (Piedmont)
>
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msn

I use a large Big Green Egg with a plate setter over coals for indirect.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike \Piedmont\

bk wrote:
> "Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
>> bk wrote:
>>> Will be doing some baby backs for Sunday. Is there a benifit to tuning
>>> and flipping or better to leave them alone until their done?

>> It depends if you are cooking direct or indirect. If you posted previously
>> the type of cooker you use,I apologize for not remembering. If you are
>> cooking directly over coals, I would flip and mop as needed, but if
>> cooking indirect, no way would I flip, nor mop.
>>
>> --
>> Regards, Mike (Piedmont)
>>
>> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msn

> I use a large Big Green Egg with a plate setter over coals for indirect.

I wouldn't think they would need flipped, nor mopped.