Rick Geyerman

Default membrane pulling tool

I've posted a picture on the other side (alt.binaries.food) of a tool that
makes pulling the membrane from spare ribs a lot easier. I've read most of
the posts here, and never seen it mentioned. They're called "skinning
pliers" and I found mine at a local fishing outfitter for less than $10.

I've learned an awful lot from these two groups and just thought it was time
to share.

Happy weekend Q'ing,
Rick

2fatbbq

"Rick Geyerman" > wrote in message
> I've posted a picture on the other side (alt.binaries.food) of a tool that
> makes pulling the membrane from spare ribs a lot easier. I've read most of
> the posts here, and never seen it mentioned. They're called "skinning
> pliers" and I found mine at a local fishing outfitter for less than $10.

pull the mebrane off about 30 racks a couple weeks past and all I needed was
paper towels and a finger to get it all started--don't make it too
complicated
Buzz
2fat bikers bbq

> I've learned an awful lot from these two groups and just thought it was
> time to share.
>
> Happy weekend Q'ing,
> Rick

TFM®

"2fatbbq" > wrote in message

> "Rick Geyerman" > wrote in message
> > I've posted a picture on the other side (alt.binaries.food) of a tool

that
> > makes pulling the membrane from spare ribs a lot easier. I've read most

of
> > the posts here, and never seen it mentioned. They're called "skinning
> > pliers" and I found mine at a local fishing outfitter for less than $10.

> pull the mebrane off about 30 racks a couple weeks past and all I needed

was
> paper towels and a finger to get it all started--don't make it too
> complicated
> Buzz

True. I've never used more than my fingers.

Grab it and peel it off. If you don't get it all, try again. If you don't
get it then, who cares?

Seriously, it'll all peel off on a good day.

TFM®

MonopTN

>>They're called "skinning
>>pliers" and I found mine at a local fishing outfitter for >>less than
>>$10.......
>>
>>Happy weekend Q'ing,
>>Rick

Now the spammers are hawking fishing pliers. Crucify him!
JK

Steve Calvin

TFM® wrote:
> "2fatbbq" > wrote in message
>
>>"Rick Geyerman" > wrote in message

>>paper towels and a finger to get it all started--don't make it too
>>complicated

<snip>
> True. I've never used more than my fingers.
>
> Grab it and peel it off. If you don't get it all, try again. If you don't
> get it then, who cares?
>
> Seriously, it'll all peel off on a good day.
>

> TFM®

Agreed, the fingers work just fine. One of those would be akin to buying
a garlic press.... who needs 'em? ;-)

--
Steve

Default User

2fatbbq wrote:

> "Rick Geyerman" > wrote in message
> > I've posted a picture on the other side (alt.binaries.food) of a
> > tool that makes pulling the membrane from spare ribs a lot easier.
> > I've read most of the posts here, and never seen it mentioned.
> > They're called "skinning pliers" and I found mine at a local
> > fishing outfitter for less than $10.

> pull the mebrane off about 30 racks a couple weeks past and all I
> needed was paper towels and a finger to get it all started--don't
> make it too complicated Buzz 2fat bikers bbq

I have an old-fashioned butter knife, not the kind that pretends to be
some sort of cutting utensile, but is very thin, flexible, and round on
the tip. That makes for a good starter for the membrane. Then, as you
say, paper towels work great. Good grip and you just chunk 'em away
when done.

Brian

I just use my right hand until the elbow gets tired and then I switch.
My optometrist says that I'll go blind if I keep at it. ;-)