ceed

Default Pulled pork leftovers.

Hi,

I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from experience
that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering if
anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is
such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some
"classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on pulled
pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Cubanpole

ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now
> have decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from
> experience that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was
> wondering if anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since
> pulled pork is such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if
> there were some "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I
> can live on pulled pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very
> happy!

While not a leftover dish, I've dropped some pulled pork in chili's for
a rich and smokey flavor. I also freeze the pulled pork and then use it
for sandwiches in the usual manner. I use a vacuum bagging process
before freezing.
dwacon.

"ceed"
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in message newsp.svu02siy21xk10@bobdello...
> Hi,
>
> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
> decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from experience
> that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering if
> anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is
> such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some
> "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on pulled
> pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!

Scramble them in eggs with some grated cheese!

--
Jennifer Lopez Lingerie *plus* Gourmet Goodies
www.cafepress.com/dwacon

kilikini

"ceed"
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in message newsp.svu02siy21xk10@bobdello...
> Hi,
>
> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
> decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from experience
> that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering if
> anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is
> such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some
> "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on pulled
> pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

Fried rice, quesadillas, enchiladas, tacos............that's the first thing
that comes to mind.

kili

ceed

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:19:47 -0500, Bill >
wrote:

> Pulled pork and pinto beans.
> Pulled pork and macaroni and cheese.
> Pulled pork and pork ramen < quickie meal >.
> Pulled pork tamales, enchiladas, pozole, stir fry, etc...
> Take a dish, add pulled pork. Use some imagination.

Thank you for the suggestions. I probably wasn't being all clear on this:
I can use my imagination and come up with ways to use it, but I wondered
if there were recipes out there which specifically called for pulled pork
as an ingredient. For a lot of classic grlled and bbq'ed dishes there are
"traditional" leftover choices: Grilled chicken -> Chicken salad. Brisket
> Brisket sandwiches. Sausage > Gumbo etc. However, I do not know of any

for left over pulled pork.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
cory

Hello ceed,

> Thank you for the suggestions. I probably wasn't being all clear on
> this: I can use my imagination and come up with ways to use it, but I
> wondered if there were recipes out there which specifically called
> for pulled pork as an ingredient. For a lot of classic grlled and

The first thing that comes to mind to me is to try using it to make Brunswick
Stew. If you substitute the pork in this recipe with your pulled pork leftovers,
it should be really good.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/bru...r/bl80111b.htm

cory > wrote:
> Hello ceed,
>
> > Thank you for the suggestions. I probably wasn't being all clear on
> > this: I can use my imagination and come up with ways to use it, but I
> > wondered if there were recipes out there which specifically called
> > for pulled pork as an ingredient. For a lot of classic grlled and

> The first thing that comes to mind to me is to try using it to make
> Brunswick Stew. If you substitute the pork in this recipe with your
> pulled pork leftovers, it should be really good.
>
> http://southernfood.about.com/od/bru...r/bl80111b.htm

You could also mix it with breadcrumbs, mozzarella or parmasan cheese,
chopped mushroom stems, bp and parsley and make stuffed mushrooms. Bake 'em
at 450°F for 6 ta 8 minutes or 'til the cheese melts. Or make stuffed
Jalapeños, Bell peppers or tomatoes.

Use it to make lasagna, goulash, pasties or burritos.

Make a Mexican Torte. Get some hot roll mix. Roll half it out into a 12"
circle and put it in an 8" buttered baking pan, pressing it over the bottom
and up the sides. Mix the pulled pork with some chopped sauteed onions and
taco seasoning mix, then spoon it evenly into the dough-lined pan. Mix
together some spinach and cottage cheese and spoon that on top. Roll out
the other half of the dough into a 9" circle and put that on top, tucking
the edges down. Cut several 1" slits in the top. Bake at 350° F. for 45 to
50 minutes or 'til deep golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting
into wedges.

These are all variations on recipes in "America's Favorite Wild Game
Recipes," of which I've had several in the original. I skipped exact
measurements, since, as you pointed out, you don't really need these, but I
was re-reading the book when I saw yer post and thought that, like the
crow, I would wax loquacious, if not eloquent.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

ceed

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:10:26 -0500, > wrote:

>> The first thing that comes to mind to me is to try using it to make
>> Brunswick Stew. If you substitute the pork in this recipe with your
>> pulled pork leftovers, it should be really good.
>>
>> http://southernfood.about.com/od/bru...r/bl80111b.htm

Sounds yum!

> You could also mix it with breadcrumbs, mozzarella or parmasan cheese,
> chopped mushroom stems, bp and parsley and make stuffed mushrooms. Bake
> 'em
> at 450°F for 6 ta 8 minutes or 'til the cheese melts. Or make stuffed
> Jalapeños, Bell peppers or tomatoes.

Now this one is something my wife would love. Mushrooms!

> Use it to make lasagna, goulash, pasties or burritos.
> Make a Mexican Torte. Get some hot roll mix. Roll half it out into a 12"
> circle and put it in an 8" buttered baking pan, pressing it over the
> bottom
> and up the sides. Mix the pulled pork with some chopped sauteed onions
> and
> taco seasoning mix, then spoon it evenly into the dough-lined pan. Mix
> together some spinach and cottage cheese and spoon that on top. Roll out
> the other half of the dough into a 9" circle and put that on top, tucking
> the edges down. Cut several 1" slits in the top. Bake at 350° F. for 45
> 50 minutes or 'til deep golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting
> into wedges.
> These are all variations on recipes in "America's Favorite Wild Game
> Recipes," of which I've had several in the original. I skipped exact
> measurements, since, as you pointed out, you don't really need these,
> but I
> was re-reading the book when I saw yer post and thought that, like the
> crow, I would wax loquacious, if not eloquent.

Thank you! Great advice. And thanks also to the others that have had
suggestions in this thread. I'm going to look for that book btw..

--
//ceed ©¿©¬

I found it on the NRA website, at https://www.nrastore.com/nra/home.aspx

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

LewZephyr

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:56:14 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
Cubanpole > :

>ceed wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now
>> have decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from
>> experience that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was
>> wondering if anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since
>> pulled pork is such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if
>> there were some "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I
>> can live on pulled pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very
>> happy!
>>

>While not a leftover dish, I've dropped some pulled pork in chili's for
>a rich and smokey flavor. I also freeze the pulled pork and then use it
>for sandwiches in the usual manner. I use a vacuum bagging process
>before freezing.

Chili is a must to try... I had in the past used my leftover Brisket
for that.... one day I tried the pork.. and honestly the Pork had the
best spin on flavor.

I freeze as well, but at present haven't been able to afford the
vacuum machines. I just use quality freezer Ziploc bags, and work
real hard to remove all the air.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke
LewZephyr

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:29:06 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
understand ceed
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
:

>Hi,
>
>I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
>decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from experience
>that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering if
>anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is
>such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some
>"classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on pulled
>pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!

I made some Great Nachos last night. Basically use the pulled pork
instead of the ground hamburger or fajita meat.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke
Dimitri

"ceed"
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com> wrote
in message newsp.svu02siy21xk10@bobdello...
> Hi,
>
> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
> decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from experience
> that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering if
> anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is such a
> classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some "classic"
> leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on pulled pork
> sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

The Mexicans have a dish called Machaka, the Cubans have Ropa Vieja. Both of
these dishes are essentially leftover meat that is refried with onions, Garlic,
diced chilies, or bell pepper, some garlic and about anything else you can think
of.

The pulled pork is great that way.

Serve with a fresh pico de gallo.

Dimitri

As you'll see, I like to use it as a sub for other regional cuisines:

Redneck carnitas. Make as burritos just like south of the border.
Meat/green salsa/onions/pickled veggies. Or go gringo style with sour
cream, guacamole, cheese, salsa, etc.

Also like Peking Pork. Get some Hoisin sauce, garlic shoots (or green
onions in a pinch) and some burrito buns (tortillas to some folks) and
put 'em together like a burrito. Outstanding. If you have an Asian
market in the area, you can get real flat bred that's fried in a pan
for more authenticity. Fantastic in any event.

Default User

kilikini wrote:

> "ceed"
> <ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.
> com> wrote in message newsp.svu02siy21xk10@bobdello...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now
> > have decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from
> > experience that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but
> > was wondering if anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes?
> > Since pulled pork is such a classic in North Carolina I was
> > wondering if there were some "classic" leftover dishes from there
> > as well? If not, I can live on pulled pork sandwiches until we run
> > out and be very, very happy!
> >
> > --
> > //ceed )?),

> Fried rice, quesadillas, enchiladas, tacos............that's the
> first thing that comes to mind.

Excellent taco filling indeed. I sprinkled the leftover pork with
cumin, ground chiles, and a little vinegar, then microwave briefly to
heat. I prefer soft corn tortillas for the tacos.

Brian
Brad Houser

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:01:31 -0500, ceed wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:19:47 -0500, Bill >
> wrote:
>
>> Pulled pork and pinto beans.
>> Pulled pork and macaroni and cheese.
>> Pulled pork and pork ramen < quickie meal >.
>> Pulled pork tamales, enchiladas, pozole, stir fry, etc...
>> Take a dish, add pulled pork. Use some imagination.

> Thank you for the suggestions. I probably wasn't being all clear on this:
> I can use my imagination and come up with ways to use it, but I wondered
> if there were recipes out there which specifically called for pulled pork
> as an ingredient. For a lot of classic grlled and bbq'ed dishes there are
> "traditional" leftover choices: Grilled chicken -> Chicken salad. Brisket
>> Brisket sandwiches. Sausage > Gumbo etc. However, I do not know of any

> for left over pulled pork.

Great in tacos and burritos.

Brad H
Renee

"ceed"
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in message newsp.svu02siy21xk10@bobdello...
> Hi,
>
> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
> decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from experience
> that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering if
> anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is
> such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some
> "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on pulled
> pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

Here's on specifically made for leftovers -- Shredded Pork Taquitos
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/texmex/sh...k-taquitos.htm

Moo Shu Pork
http://www.meierswinecellars.com/recipe8.html

Renee

anon

ceed <ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
> decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from experience
> that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering if
> anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is
> such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some
> "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on pulled
> pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!

My local supermarket sells a version of pork carnitas that is just
shredded pork deep-fried in a little bit of flour. Obviously not healthy
but so damn good.
Brick

On 21-Aug-2005, ceed <ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
> decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from experience
> that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering if
> anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is
> such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some
> "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on pulled
> pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

Given the subject of leftover pulled pork, I don't know or even care what North
Carolina does with it. I produce a fair amount of it and after sandwiches, here's
a few hints of what I do with it;

Instead of bacon; with eggs.
Instead of ham; with fried rice.
Tossed with sauteed cabbage and onions.
Included in ranch beans.

I've done all of the above, but I can envision using pulled pork
in various cassoroles including lasagne.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Brick

On 21-Aug-2005, ceed <ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
> decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from experience
> that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering if
> anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is
> such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some
> "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on pulled
> pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

There's a fairly lengthly thread here, but it makes you look like you
don't know how to cook. Turn you imagination loose. You don't need
outside help.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Brick

On 22-Aug-2005, LewZephyr > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:56:14 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
> Cubanpole > :
>
> >ceed wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now
> >> have decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from
> >> experience that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was
> >> wondering if anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since
> >> pulled pork is such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if
> >> there were some "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I
> >> can live on pulled pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very
> >> happy!
> >>

> >While not a leftover dish, I've dropped some pulled pork in chili's for
> >a rich and smokey flavor. I also freeze the pulled pork and then use it
> >for sandwiches in the usual manner. I use a vacuum bagging process
> >before freezing.

> Chili is a must to try... I had in the past used my leftover Brisket
> for that.... one day I tried the pork.. and honestly the Pork had the
> best spin on flavor.
>
> I freeze as well, but at present haven't been able to afford the
> vacuum machines. I just use quality freezer Ziploc bags, and work
> real hard to remove all the air.

Save your pennies for a vac machine Lew. You won't be sorry.
Tomorrow I'll be storing the remnants from a small rib roast. The
DW and I can't really do justice to a roast and there's no way
(That I know of) to cook a small enough roast to just feed the two
of us and still achieve the effect of a standing rib roast.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

ceed

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:16:20 -0500, Brick > wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
>> decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from
>> experience
>> that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering
>> if
>> anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since pulled pork is
>> such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if there were some
>> "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I can live on
>> pulled
>> pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very happy!
>>
>> --
>> //ceed ©¿©¬

> There's a fairly lengthly thread here, but it makes you look like you
> don't know how to cook. Turn you imagination loose. You don't need
> outside help.

Please read my post (and responses) carefully. I do know how to cook. I
did not ask for help feeding my imagination. As someone who do not know
too much about traditional cooking from different parts of the US (I am
imported to Texas from Europe) I was asking if there were any, and I quote
myself, "classic leftover dishes from there as well", "There" of course
being North Carolina.

What I got from a lot of you was great advice on what I could do with the
leftovers which actually has given me some new great ideas. It also seems
like there aren't any traditional pulled pork leftover dishes which is
what I was wondering about in the first place. In the Northern European
kitchen there are lots of classic dishes based on leftovers from other
dishes. They are "spun" off the "mother-dish" so to speak. I will not get
into that here, but I was interested in similar kind of dishes, in this
case based on pulled pork.

And even if you think I do not need outside help I thank you, and the
others who have responded, yet again for your thoughts and ideas.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
ceed

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:38:07 -0500, > wrote:

> I found it on the NRA website, at https://www.nrastore.com/nra/home.aspx

Just got the book. Lotsa great stuff in it! Thanks!

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
cory

Hello ceed,

> Please read my post (and responses) carefully. I do know how to cook.
> I did not ask for help feeding my imagination. As someone who do not
> know too much about traditional cooking from different parts of the
> US (I am imported to Texas from Europe) I was asking if there were
> any, and I quote myself, "classic leftover dishes from there as
> well", "There" of course being North Carolina.

Unfortunately, I haven't found that the US has much of a tradition of transforming
leftovers into new cuisine. One could be cocky and say, "North Carolinians
don't *have* leftover pulled pork", though that's not really a North Carolina
attitude (I lived there for five years). As is typically the case with Americans
and leftover meat, we tend to put it into sandwiches, salads, and soups until
it's all done. Brunswick Stew, which I mentioned in a previous post, is at
least a nearby regional dish (two states to the South), and people often
use barbecue scraps for that.

I appreciate the European tradition of creating classic leftover dishes,
having only recently become aware of it. On two separate occasions, I have
ordered French toast in the company of French people, and they didn't know
what it was until they saw it, and said, "aah, the thing we do with leftover
bread!"

ceed

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:58:21 -0500, cory > wrote:

> I appreciate the European tradition of creating classic leftover dishes,
> having only recently become aware of it. On two separate
> occasions, I have ordered French toast in the company of French people,
> and they didn't know what it was until they saw it, and said, "aah,
> the thing we do with leftover bread!"

Thank you! Very interesting and good answers my to my questions as well.
One of the most common leftover dishes from my country of origin (Norway)
is "Lapskaus" which actually means something like "Uphill". It's a stew
based on leftovers like potatoes, beef and other veggies (not fish) from
the week in a brown gravy like sauce More famous leftover dishes are the
Spanish Paella, The Bouillabaisse (originally from Marseille, France) and
finally the Tuscan Minestrone which in Italy has to be made from leftover
to be "proper".

Come to think of it, guess I could use the pulled pork in a Lapskaus!

--
//ceed ©¿©¬

ceed wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> In the Northern European kitchen there are lots of classic dishes based
> on leftovers from other dishes. They are "spun" off the "mother-dish" so
> to speak. I will not get into that here, . . .

ceed, I for one, want to know more about these "spun off the mother-dish"
Northern European leftovers classics!

I've had several NE dishes, but don't recall any made with leftovers.
Looking forward to some new delights as you spark some imaginations.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

ceed

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:53:49 -0500, > wrote:

> ceed, I for one, want to know more about these "spun off the mother-dish"
> Northern European leftovers classics!
> I've had several NE dishes, but don't recall any made with leftovers.
> Looking forward to some new delights as you spark some imaginations.

I have some recipes. They are metric though. I will convert a few and post
'em.

wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:58:21 -0500, cory > wrote:
>
> > I appreciate the European tradition of creating classic leftover
> > dishes, having only recently become aware of it. On two separate
> > occasions, I have ordered French toast in the company of French people,
> > and they didn't know what it was until they saw it, and said, "aah,
> > the thing we do with leftover bread!"

> Thank you! Very interesting and good answers my to my questions as well.
> One of the most common leftover dishes from my country of origin (Norway)
> is "Lapskaus" which actually means something like "Uphill". It's a stew
> based on leftovers like potatoes, beef and other veggies (not fish) from
> the week in a brown gravy like sauce More famous leftover dishes are the
> Spanish Paella, The Bouillabaisse (originally from Marseille, France) and
> finally the Tuscan Minestrone which in Italy has to be made from leftover
> to be "proper".
>
> Come to think of it, guess I could use the pulled pork in a Lapskaus!

It's always nice when taunting messages are reiterated to pique one to come
forth with the answer to his own question. ;-)

wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:53:49 -0500, > wrote:
>
> > ceed, I for one, want to know more about these "spun off the
> > mother-dish" Northern European leftovers classics!
> > I've had several NE dishes, but don't recall any made with leftovers.
> > Looking forward to some new delights as you spark some imaginations.

> I have some recipes. They are metric though. I will convert a few and
> post 'em.

Thanks. When you mentioned paella, boullabaise and minestrone as leftover
dishes, I had never thought of them as such, but it makes perfect sense. I
got a kick out of French Toast, too! "Oh, that's what we do with leftover
eggs!" ;-D

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

cory

Hello ceed,

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:58:21 -0500, cory >
> wrote:
>
> Thank you! Very interesting and good answers my to my questions as
> well. One of the most common leftover dishes from my country of
> origin (Norway) is "Lapskaus" which actually means something like
> "Uphill". It's a stew based on leftovers like potatoes, beef and
> other veggies (not fish) from the week in a brown gravy like sauce
> More famous leftover dishes are the Spanish Paella, The Bouillabaisse
> (originally from Marseille, France) and finally the Tuscan Minestrone
> which in Italy has to be made from leftover to be "proper".
>
> Come to think of it, guess I could use the pulled pork in a Lapskaus!

Sounds delicious! You may be the first person to ever do that.

bc

cory wrote:
> Hello ceed,
>
> > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:58:21 -0500, cory >
> > wrote:
> >
> > Thank you! Very interesting and good answers my to my questions as
> > well. One of the most common leftover dishes from my country of
> > origin (Norway) is "Lapskaus" which actually means something like
> > "Uphill". It's a stew based on leftovers like potatoes, beef and
> > other veggies (not fish) from the week in a brown gravy like sauce
> > More famous leftover dishes are the Spanish Paella, The Bouillabaisse
> > (originally from Marseille, France) and finally the Tuscan Minestrone
> > which in Italy has to be made from leftover to be "proper".
> >
> > Come to think of it, guess I could use the pulled pork in a Lapskaus!
> >

> Sounds delicious! You may be the first person to ever do that.

I like it in tacos and burritos. You can spice up the pork by stewing
with your favorite chipotles or something too.

Brick

On 25-Aug-2005, ceed <ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:16:20 -0500, Brick > wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now have
> >> decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from
> >> experience
> >> that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was wondering
> >> if
> >> anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes?

<snip>

> What I got from a lot of you was great advice on what I could do with the
> leftovers which actually has given me some new great ideas. It also seems
> like there aren't any traditional pulled pork leftover dishes which is
> what I was wondering about in the first place. In the Northern European
> kitchen there are lots of classic dishes based on leftovers from other
> dishes. They are "spun" off the "mother-dish" so to speak. I will not get
> into that here, but I was interested in similar kind of dishes, in this
> case based on pulled pork.
>
> And even if you think I do not need outside help I thank you, and the
> others who have responded, yet again for your thoughts and ideas.
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

My family lost our "leftover" recipies a generation or so back. Ear corn
became whole kernel corn which became corn fritters and so on.

There probably are recipies for leftover BBQ since it was not uncommon
to cook whole animals. But leftover recipies from the past tend to exclude
meat dishes do to the lack of refrigeration problem in the 18th and early
19th century. There is no emphasis on leftovers in this current timeframe
and thus no incentive to write anything down.

I use leftover pulled pork, brisket and even rib meat quite often, but never
gave any thought to formulating any recipies, thus my suggestion to use
your imagination.

You should be able to find recipies for chicken salad, which would adapt
to turkey, duck and probably to most of the pork products.
--
The Brick said that (Just my 2¢)

Brick

On 25-Aug-2005, ceed <ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:16:20 -0500, Brick > wrote:

<snip>

google alt.food.barbecue and alt.binaries.food for "musgovian" which is a recently
generated acronym for "must go" food items. You should find a plethora of previously
undocumented recipies for leftovers.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Brick

On 25-Aug-2005, ceed <ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:53:49 -0500, > wrote:
>
> > ceed, I for one, want to know more about these "spun off the mother-dish"
> > Northern European leftovers classics!
> > I've had several NE dishes, but don't recall any made with leftovers.
> > Looking forward to some new delights as you spark some imaginations.

> I have some recipes. They are metric though. I will convert a few and post
> 'em.
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

I'm not Nick, but believe it or not we can deal with metric when we have to. So
no need for you to do the conversion.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

ceed

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:03:14 -0500, Brick > wrote:

> I'm not Nick, but believe it or not we can deal with metric when we have
> to. So
> no need for you to do the conversion.

Well, pulling out the recipes I realized they are in Norwegian. I think
that will cause a few problems for some of you... Gimme a day or two and
I will have them translated.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬

"Brick" > wrote:
> On 25-Aug-2005, ceed wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:53:49 -0500, > wrote:
> >
> > > ceed, I for one, want to know more about these "spun off the
> > > mother-dish" Northern European leftovers classics!
> > > I've had several NE dishes, but don't recall any made with leftovers.
> > > Looking forward to some new delights as you spark some imaginations.

> > I have some recipes. They are metric though. I will convert a few and
> > post 'em.
> >

> I'm not Nick, but believe it or not we can deal with metric when we have
> to. So no need for you to do the conversion.

I remember 28.34 gm/oz from the white powder and rolled up $100 bill days.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

ceed

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:53:49 -0500, > wrote:

> ceed, I for one, want to know more about these "spun off the mother-dish"
> Northern European leftovers classics!

Okay, so I went to my recipe treasure chest and picked three very
traditional leftover dishes from Norway. They are all simple but commonly
served. Please excuse my translations. It's really difficult translating
recipes I suddenly found out. Since English is my second language I do not
know how to translate all the cooking terms. Anyhow, here goes:

LAPSKAUS

600 g leftover boiled or fresh beef
2 tblsp butter
6 potatoes
3 carrots
1 leek
A few little pieces of celery root
1 onion
4 dl vann
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsly ground pepper

Cut the meat in cubes. Brown it the butter over high heat.

Add the meat to a s stew pot with the water. Add the vegetables and the
potatoes cut into squares. Simmer until everything is tender.

Don't stir more than neccessary since it will turn the lapskaus into
"mush". Make sure it doesn't burn.

Serve with whole grain bread and lingonberry preserves.

FINNBIFF:

500 grams leftover or fresh raindeer meat shavings (Her in texas I've
used deer meat sliced very thinly and cut into 2 inch square "shavings")
250 grams fresh mushrooms
2 tblsp butter
2 dl water
3 dl sour cream
1 dl milk
3 slices brown whey goat cheese (Gudbrandsdalsost which I can purchase
here in Texas at local HEB grocery store)
5 crushed junipher berries
½ tsp thyme
Salt
Pepper
Dill weed

1. Brown the meaat and mushrooms over high heat.

2. Add the meat to a stew pot. Add water; heat until it boils. Lower the
heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Add sour cream, milk, goat chesse, crushed junipher berries and thyme
og let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to tatste.

Serve with boiled potatoes sprinkled with dill weed, Brusselsprouts and
Lingonberry preserves.

FISKEGRATENG

100 grams elbow macaroni
4 dl milk
4 tblsp wheat flour
salt
pepper
ground nutmeg
curry powder
300-400 grams leftover white fish (cod/haddock) pulled into pieces
3 eggs
2 tbls brad crumbs

1. Prepare the macoaroni according to the package.

2. Mix flour and milk in a pan without lumps. Stir and heat until it
boils. Add salt, pepper, curry powder and nutmeg (careful with the last
two) to taste Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Separate the eggs. Stir the yolks into the sauce.

4. Add the fish to the sauce together with the prepared macaroni.

5. Beat the eggwhites until you can turn the bowl upside down without
spilling them. Carefully mix the eggwhites into the sauce and fish mix.
Add the mix to a greased pan. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Cook
45-55 mins at 200C.

6. Serve with rolls and "Raakost": Shredded carrots sprinkled with a mix
of lemonjuice and a little sugar and pepper.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Louis Cohen

ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did some great pulled pork yesterday. Since I did two butts I now
> have decent amount of leftovers after yesterdays feast. I know from
> experience that this of course makes great sandwiches for days, but was
> wondering if anyone use pulled pork leftovers in other dishes? Since
> pulled pork is such a classic in North Carolina I was wondering if
> there were some "classic" leftover dishes from there as well? If not, I
> can live on pulled pork sandwiches until we run out and be very, very
> happy!

- Vacuum seal and freeze for longevity
- Use leftovers in dishes like:
* Chili
* Ravioli stuffing (grind up the meat with some cooked spinach)

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877

ceed wrote:
> [...]

> 300-400 grams leftover white fish (cod/haddock) pulled into pieces
> 3 eggs
> 2 tbls brad crumbs
>
> 1. Prepare the macoaroni according to the package.
>
> 2. Mix flour and milk in a pan without lumps. Stir and heat until it
> boils. Add salt, pepper, curry powder and nutmeg (careful with the last
> two) to taste Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes.
>
> 3. Separate the eggs. Stir the yolks into the sauce.
>
> 4. Add the fish to the sauce together with the prepared macaroni.
>
> 5. Beat the eggwhites until you can turn the bowl upside down without
> spilling them. Carefully mix the eggwhites into the sauce and fish mix.
> Add the mix to a greased pan. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Cook
> 45-55 mins at 200C.
>
> 6. Serve with rolls and "Raakost": Shredded carrots sprinkled with a mix
> of lemonjuice and a little sugar and pepper.

Ceed, thank you very much for these. I'm sure translating them was a major
effort and everything is quite understandable. I have one question.

What is 'vann'? Calling for 4 dL (circa 1 cup), I doubt that it's vanilla!