Paulbill

Default to soak or not to soak?

Hello all,

I am a novice bbq'er, using a bar-b-chef offset smoker. I am learning a
lot smoking/bbq'ing every weekend!

question regarding wood chunks.

I am using royal oak lump charcoal. I notice that is gives off a good
amount of smoke as it gets going. It also adds smoke as I add more unlit
coals for longer smokes.

When it comes to adding some wood chunks for some extra smoke, should I
be soaking them, or not soaking them?

thanks!

Paulbill
Ron Morris

I don't soak my wood chunks and I have great results. I remember reading a
website that did an experiment on soaked vs. non-soaked wood chunks and it
showed that the soaked chunks really didn't soak up that much water (the
author cut a chunk in half to show the depth of the water ring). A positive
side effect of not soaking is that it won't introduce water to your
charcoal.

Ron, NC

"Paulbill" > wrote in message
t...
> Hello all,
>
> I am a novice bbq'er, using a bar-b-chef offset smoker. I am learning a
> lot smoking/bbq'ing every weekend!
>
> question regarding wood chunks.
>
> I am using royal oak lump charcoal. I notice that is gives off a good
> amount of smoke as it gets going. It also adds smoke as I add more unlit
> coals for longer smokes.
>
> When it comes to adding some wood chunks for some extra smoke, should I be
> soaking them, or not soaking them?
>
> thanks!
>
> Paulbill

Edwin Pawlowski

"Paulbill" > wrote in message
t...
> Hello all,
>
> I am a novice bbq'er, using a bar-b-chef offset smoker. I am learning When
> it comes to adding some wood chunks for some extra smoke, should I be
> soaking them, or not soaking them?

IMO, it should never be soaked. Just add potential for acrid smoke.

Matthew L. Martin

Paulbill wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am a novice bbq'er, using a bar-b-chef offset smoker. I am learning a
> lot smoking/bbq'ing every weekend!
>
> question regarding wood chunks.
>
> I am using royal oak lump charcoal. I notice that is gives off a good
> amount of smoke as it gets going. It also adds smoke as I add more unlit
> coals for longer smokes.
>
> When it comes to adding some wood chunks for some extra smoke, should I
> be soaking them, or not soaking them?

I cut and dry most of the wood I smoke with. I've tried soaking and not
soaking. I can't tell the difference, so I don't soak anymore. If I
can't tell the difference, I don't need the added step or added planning.

Matthew
Duwop

> Paulbill wrote:
> > When it comes to adding some wood chunks for some extra smoke, should I
> > be soaking them, or not soaking them?

I don't bother to add chunks, seems that the lump gives off enough smoke for
my taste.

When I did use chunks, I'd soak them overnight, read one guy that kept them
in a bucket with a little light mineral oil on the water to keep skeeters
from breeding.

Most here seem to think it's a bad idea. Seemed okay to do back when though.

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Paulbill" > wrote in message
> t...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am a novice bbq'er, using a bar-b-chef offset smoker. I am learning
> > When it comes to adding some wood chunks for some extra smoke, should I
> > be soaking them, or not soaking them?

> IMO, it should never be soaked. Just add potential for acrid smoke.

My experience is the same. Chunks and fruit branches as they are. Wrap
chips in foil and poke a few pencil holes in the pouch to let the smoke
out, without letting the chips burn. Either way, ya don't need a lot.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Brick

On 13-Aug-2005, Paulbill > wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a novice bbq'er, using a bar-b-chef offset smoker. I am learning a
> lot smoking/bbq'ing every weekend!
>
> question regarding wood chunks.
>
> I am using royal oak lump charcoal. I notice that is gives off a good
> amount of smoke as it gets going. It also adds smoke as I add more unlit
> coals for longer smokes.
>
> When it comes to adding some wood chunks for some extra smoke, should I
> be soaking them, or not soaking them?
>
> thanks!
>
> Paulbill

Since most everyone is addressing the subject of soaking or not soaking wood
chunks, I'll jump on the subject of Royal Oak Carcoal. Compared to a fire with
a fresh oak log on it, Royal Oak gives off very little smoke. In terms of acrid or
very strong smoke, it produces very little. Adding additional fuel to a substantial
fire produces barely discernible additional smoke. Adding additional (cold) fuel
to a nearly spent fire is about the same as starting form scratch and is not reco-
mmended.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Paulbill

Thanks all for the info!

Getting up at 4am to start my fire for the pork butt. Have some pecan
chunks to add later, unsoaked from the consensus..

Paulbill
MonopTN

"Paulbill" > wrote in message
> Thanks all for the info!
>
> Getting up at 4am to start my fire for the pork butt. Have some pecan
> chunks to add later, unsoaked from the consensus..
>
> Paulbill

How did it come out?

sxoidmal

I've tried it both ways and honestly I haven't seen a noticeable
difference. Once I even just loaded a grill with nothing but lumps of
mesquite, that was a mistake. The food was so carcinogenic it made my
tongue tingle - it was completely inedible and had to be tossed.

People suggest soaking for a full day ahead of time and tossing a few
lumps into the burning coals to add some smokiness. That kind of smoke
is fine, but the acrid burn-off I saw other people talking about is
different: that's what happens when fat drips onto the charcoal.
That's the stuff you don't want.

There's so much mythology behind grilling. If I have a question about
something, I just try it out myself because there's too much "this guy
I know tried that" and "I think I read this somewhere" information
available. I try it myself and keep notes.

- XN

Dave Bugg

sxoidmal wrote:
> I've tried it both ways .....

Uh... tried WHAT both ways. It does help to leave a bit of the text to
which you are replying. I think I agree with some of what you're saying,
but I'm just not sure :-)
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Paulbill

Smoked a pork butt today. Came out great. cooked it for ~12 hrs, wrapped
in foil after 10hrs. Decided to not soak the pecan chunks, and they came
out great. They smoldered just great, and did not flame up. Threw about
6 chunks on over about 6 hrs.

thanks for the help and info.

Paulbill
Free Wheelin' Franklin

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:33:24 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>sxoidmal wrote:
>> I've tried it both ways .....

>Uh... tried WHAT both ways. It does help to leave a bit of the text to
>which you are replying. I think I agree with some of what you're saying,
>but I'm just not sure :-)

I've tried soaking chunks for a full day. A buddy of mine asked,"Why
do you want to do that? The wood is dead, it won't suck up much
water". I decided to show him by spltting one of the chunks open.
There was about 1/8" of water penetration in a 3" block on each end
and the middle was bone dry,... man, did I feel like a twit. That wee
bit would have steamed out in about an hour or less.

Have a look at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#soak .

His results are about the same as mine. He was just smart enough to
take pictures.

Frank
David Brown

<Free Wheelin' Franklin> wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:33:24 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>>sxoidmal wrote:
>>> I've tried it both ways .....

>>Uh... tried WHAT both ways. It does help to leave a bit of the text to
>>which you are replying. I think I agree with some of what you're saying,
>>but I'm just not sure :-)

> I've tried soaking chunks for a full day. A buddy of mine asked,"Why
> do you want to do that? The wood is dead, it won't suck up much
> water". I decided to show him by spltting one of the chunks open.
> There was about 1/8" of water penetration in a 3" block on each end
> and the middle was bone dry,... man, did I feel like a twit. That wee
> bit would have steamed out in about an hour or less.
>
> Have a look at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#soak .
>
> His results are about the same as mine. He was just smart enough to
> take pictures.
>
> Frank

Ahh, science.