blah blah

Default plank wood?

I was in an expnsive market today, and saw that they had a 3 pack of (I
think) alder planks that you place under the food while cooking it. As
it cost $20 or for the pack, I thought I would check here first and see
if anyone has used these, and if they thought it was worth it...

so, if anyone has coughed up the $, let me know if you think it was
worth it....

thanks in advance

Joshua

We were given a set of these recently from Williams & Sonoma. I haven't
used them yet, but I'd be equally curious about the feedback from others.

DavidG

I was in an expnsive market today, and saw that they had a 3 pack of
(I
think) alder planks that you place under the food while cooking it. As
it cost $20 or for the pack, I thought I would check here first and
see
if anyone has used these, and if they thought it was worth it...

so, if anyone has coughed up the $, let me know if you think it was
worth it....

thanks in advance

I bet they're good, but I can't see paying $20 for three bits of
wood...I bet you can do better.

http://www.usenet.com
Eric

I have used cedar planks (Williams -Sonoma) to grill some salmon and my
wife said it was excellent.... but it was a lot of money to pay for
three pieces of wood. Seems like you could find that stuff cheaper
somehow. Anyway it did give the fish a nice flavor (she said) I did
not try it my self.

thanks

We are looking around for the same thing.....Since they are so
expensive, I think i'm going to go to a fine wood store & buy 1x12x8 of
some untreated red cedar & alder & make my own for the same price. We
should be able to get a MUCH bigger yield this way, as they are
practically one time use deals....

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message

>>We are looking around for the same thing.....Since they are so
>>expensive, I think i'm going to go to a fine wood store & buy 1x12x8 of
>>some untreated red cedar & alder & make my own for the same price.

> Quite likely that the shop won't have dimensional lumber. You may have
> to rip down a thicker chunk.

Most will have rough cut. Some suppliers will joint and plane it to
dimension, others won't. Cedar is about $3 a board foot. Alder is about
that price, but I was only able to find 1/2" thick and it is a minimum of
$100 order. Plus shipping.

> The thicker, bigger ones (1 X 8 X 14) I've seen at farmer's markets
> are intended to be used over and over. Directions say to coat it
> lightly with olive oil before each use.

I'd opt for the thicker as it is generally easier to find, easier to handle,
will last longer. Just not so easy to find alder, especially on the east
coast.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

2fatbbq

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> We are looking around for the same thing.....Since they are so
> expensive, I think i'm going to go to a fine wood store & buy 1x12x8 of
> some untreated red cedar & alder & make my own for the same price. We
> should be able to get a MUCH bigger yield this way, as they are
> practically one time use deals....

go to the local lumber yard and ask for a bundle of untreated cedar
shingles---they work great for planked salmon--and they are just afew
bucks/bundle

buzz

Brick

On 3-Aug-2005, "2fatbbq" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > We are looking around for the same thing.....Since they are so
> > expensive, I think i'm going to go to a fine wood store & buy 1x12x8 of
> > some untreated red cedar & alder & make my own for the same price. We
> > should be able to get a MUCH bigger yield this way, as they are
> > practically one time use deals....
> >

> go to the local lumber yard and ask for a bundle of untreated cedar
> shingles---they work great for planked salmon--and they are just afew
> bucks/bundle
>
> buzz

Sheeiiit buzz, I wanted to post that an you beat me too it.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Thanks for the advice guys....I got an email from the fine woods yard
in Memphis: we have Western Red Cedar in 1" thickness that was bought
for grilling planks. these pieces are 1" thick by 8" wide and range
form 10' - 12' in length. It is sold at $5.50 per LF. We also have
4/4 Alder at $4.95 per BF. This is also untreated........

>From this, I may buy some of his cedar & give it a run....We tried

grilling salmon last night in a grill basket over coals w/apple
chips....it turned out really well, so I can only imagine what the
cedar planked salmon could be like!

Plank Cooking Kswck General Cooking 3 17-05-2008 11:17 AM
Jack Daniel's Cedar Plank Salmon International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 29-10-2005 10:40 PM
Cedar Plank Grilling question Steve B. General Cooking 10 28-07-2005 01:37 PM
Recommendation:Cedar plank salmon Curly Sue General Cooking 18 23-06-2005 03:26 AM