Tighthead

Default Canadian Tire - Royal Oak

I went into my local CT on Saturday (Vancouver) and noticed a nearly
non existant stock of Royal Oak, both lump and briquettes. Some new
lump, from Namibia, was there instead at $12 for 5 kilos (11 pounds).

Does any Canadian out there no if they are discontinuing the Royal Oak
product? That would be most disappointing.

I also find it bizarre that I need to by Namibian charcoal in Canada.

Thanks,

Will

Wally Bedford

On 19 Jul 2005 19:52:30 -0700, "Tighthead" >
reported to us:

>I went into my local CT on Saturday (Vancouver) and noticed a nearly
>non existant stock of Royal Oak, both lump and briquettes. Some new
>lump, from Namibia, was there instead at $12 for 5 kilos (11 pounds).
>
>Does any Canadian out there no if they are discontinuing the Royal Oak
>product? That would be most disappointing.
>
>I also find it bizarre that I need to by Namibian charcoal in Canada.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Will

Not sure about CT. If you head to Rona, you will find Maple Leaf lump
& briquettes. The lump is to die for, but I haven't tried the
briquettes.

Ask the manager why they import stuff from Namibia. Ah, forget it.
Ten years ago it would have led to an intelligent conversation with
the staff.

Wally

"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
Sir Frederick G. Banting
jesskidden

Tighthead wrote:

> Does any Canadian out there no if they are discontinuing the Royal Oak
> product? That would be most disappointing.
>
> I also find it bizarre that I need to by Namibian charcoal in Canada.

My last bags of Royal Oak (my local Agway used to carry the blue bag
"Star Grill" version of RO but has lately been getting the regular red
bag) had a strange little "stamp" on the front- looked close- put on my
reading glasses- looked closer- it was a duty stamp in Portugese 'cause
it was "Made in Brazil".

Harry Demidavicius

wrote:

>I went into my local CT on Saturday (Vancouver) and noticed a nearly
>non existant stock of Royal Oak, both lump and briquettes. Some new
>lump, from Namibia, was there instead at $12 for 5 kilos (11 pounds).
>
>Does any Canadian out there no if they are discontinuing the Royal Oak
>product? That would be most disappointing.
>
>I also find it bizarre that I need to by Namibian charcoal in Canada.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Will

That stuff is being aggressively marketed. Ridiculous pricing. Royal
oak was still a catalogue item at Can Tire - ask them to stock up for
you..

Harry
mike

hello tighthead!!
the namibia charcoal burns way longer than royal oak has a thicker density.
ther's a local guy who's originally from south africa importing it to Canada
tried them at bc bbq championships very impressed with the product.. Must
admit had my thought about it too but it great for grilling or smoking
foods.
memphis mike
"Tighthead" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I went into my local CT on Saturday (Vancouver) and noticed a nearly
> non existant stock of Royal Oak, both lump and briquettes. Some new
> lump, from Namibia, was there instead at $12 for 5 kilos (11 pounds).
>
> Does any Canadian out there no if they are discontinuing the Royal Oak
> product? That would be most disappointing.
>
> I also find it bizarre that I need to by Namibian charcoal in Canada.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

The Naked Whiz

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:21:30 GMT, "mike" >
wrote:

>hello tighthead!!
>the namibia charcoal burns way longer than royal oak has a thicker density.
>ther's a local guy who's originally from south africa importing it to Canada
>tried them at bc bbq championships very impressed with the product.. Must
>admit had my thought about it too but it great for grilling or smoking
>foods.
>memphis mike
>"Tighthead" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> I went into my local CT on Saturday (Vancouver) and noticed a nearly
>> non existant stock of Royal Oak, both lump and briquettes. Some new
>> lump, from Namibia, was there instead at $12 for 5 kilos (11 pounds).
>>
>> Does any Canadian out there no if they are discontinuing the Royal Oak
>> product? That would be most disappointing.
>>
>> I also find it bizarre that I need to by Namibian charcoal in Canada.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Will

If the Namibian charcoal you refer to is Hard Coals, I did a review of
it on my Lump Charcoal Database. Burned quite a long time, made tons
of ash and had quite a large amount of (30-40% by weight) chips and
dust. The distributor was going to consult with the manufacturer
about this, so I don't know if they have improved things or not. The
review is he www.lump-charcoal.com.

TNW
Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:08:34 GMT, The Naked Whiz
> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:21:30 GMT, "mike" >
>wrote:
>
>>hello tighthead!!
>>the namibia charcoal burns way longer than royal oak has a thicker density.
>>ther's a local guy who's originally from south africa importing it to Canada
>>tried them at bc bbq championships very impressed with the product.. Must
>>admit had my thought about it too but it great for grilling or smoking
>>foods.
>>memphis mike
>>"Tighthead" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>>> I went into my local CT on Saturday (Vancouver) and noticed a nearly
>>> non existant stock of Royal Oak, both lump and briquettes. Some new
>>> lump, from Namibia, was there instead at $12 for 5 kilos (11 pounds).
>>>
>>> Does any Canadian out there no if they are discontinuing the Royal Oak
>>> product? That would be most disappointing.
>>>
>>> I also find it bizarre that I need to by Namibian charcoal in Canada.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Will
>>>

>If the Namibian charcoal you refer to is Hard Coals, I did a review of
>it on my Lump Charcoal Database. Burned quite a long time, made tons
>of ash and had quite a large amount of (30-40% by weight) chips and
>dust. The distributor was going to consult with the manufacturer
>about this, so I don't know if they have improved things or not. The
>review is he www.lump-charcoal.com.
>
>TNW

I've looked at the stuff here in town, Naked. Didn't buy. It's just
not worth the dough they want. It's BBQ snobs and not folks that cook
daily.

Harry
Tighthead

Hi Mike - you do the catering out in Langley, no?

Maybe the namibia stuff is okay - RO can burn quickly. I just am not
thrilled by the price.

Where do you source your charcoal?

Will
mike wrote:
> hello tighthead!!
> the namibia charcoal burns way longer than royal oak has a thicker density.
> ther's a local guy who's originally from south africa importing it to Canada
> tried them at bc bbq championships very impressed with the product.. Must
> admit had my thought about it too but it great for grilling or smoking
> foods.
> memphis mike
> "Tighthead" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I went into my local CT on Saturday (Vancouver) and noticed a nearly
> > non existant stock of Royal Oak, both lump and briquettes. Some new
> > lump, from Namibia, was there instead at $12 for 5 kilos (11 pounds).
> >
> > Does any Canadian out there no if they are discontinuing the Royal Oak
> > product? That would be most disappointing.
> >
> > I also find it bizarre that I need to by Namibian charcoal in Canada.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Will

Brick

F you. I will not read down to find out what you are ta
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)